Page 1 of 2
1
2
LastLast
  1. #1

    I do LFR because I have no friends...

    I do LFR because I have no friends and I have no friends because I do LFR. Think about that a sec.

  2. #2
    Super Moderator Darsithis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    31,743
    *shrugs*. I regularly team up with my friends for LFR. Not always, but sometimes guildies, or my boyfriend and some friends from our old guild.

    So what's your point? I'm not sure I get it. Everyone is different when it comes to how they enjoy the content.



  3. #3
    Herald of the Titans Simulacrum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Norway
    Posts
    2,968
    Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    *shrugs*. I regularly team up with my friends for LFR. Not always, but sometimes guildies, or my boyfriend and some friends from our old guild.

    So what's your point? I'm not sure I get it. Everyone is different when it comes to how they enjoy the content.
    He makes a point, even if it's an old one. Nearly all the friends I made in WoW (several of whom I still play with today), I made in vanilla or TBC, by running dungeons. Since WotLK hit I've only ever met new people in WoW through guild chat, or the occasional raid pug. I could barely do a dungeon as a tank in TBC without getting new friends requests, while these days they all come from people I've talked with for a long time in gchat or while raiding with them. Of course, I know people back in TBC mainly friended me because I was a good tank, and good tanks were extremely rare back then, but I think the point still stands that: If you force people to socialize (at least, as long as you set it up properly), they will enjoy themselves and get to know each other.

    While if you don't make people have to socialize to do social things (LFD, LFR, everybody joining massive lvl 25m guilds for guild traits, and arguably a few other things) then we usually won't socialize, which leads to less friend-making, less fun as a result, and less interest in the game.

    It sounds like kind of a stupid thing to have to make players do; shouldn't we be able to figure out how to socialize with each other on our own? Maybe... but the game (at least if it cares about this at all) should be set up to facilitate it, which WoW is not, or at least is a lot less than it used to be.

    The big question then is if LFD/LFR/etc produces more interest for the game than it takes away by removing these social aspects. Personally, I have no idea. I know that I miss the old system, but I also know that one of the main things keeping me playing (outside of 3 raids a week) is running LFR and LFD on my various alts, without needing to go through the bother of actually looking for a group myself. Maybe it's better this way, but it still feels wrong to me.
    Dr Johnson, they said: “we are delighted to find that you’ve not included any indecent or obscene words in your dictionary.”
    “Ladies, said dr Johnson, “I can congratulate you on being able to look them up.”

  4. #4
    Dreadlord Icaras's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    751
    You do LFR because you have no friends, yet LFR does not stop you from making some.
    You must show no mercy, Nor have any belief whatsoever in how others judge you: For your greatness will silence them all!
    -Warrior Wisdom

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Icaras View Post
    You do LFR because you have no friends, yet LFR does not stop you from making some.
    so much of this
    Quote Originally Posted by -Ethos- View Post
    I literally die every time i see people using literally wrong.

  6. #6
    I do LFR with my Wife. We enjoy it, easy VP and its something more for us to do together. Though I have yet to make any friends from LFR. Its quite rare to spot someone from my server and besides the fact there is just no time to chat with someone. If you dare stop to take a drink to replenish mana you get a GOGO wtf!! response. So.....

  7. #7
    Stood in the Fire
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Dubbo, NSW
    Posts
    379
    I only do LFR because it is a realistic goal that I have set for myself. This goal - that being the acquisition of certain gear, offsets the frustration I feel from LFR (those who don't obey a particular strategy mostly).

  8. #8
    I'm sure that threads like this could be prevented if we had basic logic lessons since early childhood. Fail education system.

    Correlation does not imply causation.

  9. #9
    Bloodsail Admiral Skeletroll's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    This Toilet Earth
    Posts
    1,181
    Lol. I have no friends AND i never tried LFR. So i win.

    Though if doing LFR is your excuse to not make any friends... well i think you are not even trying. And i know all about not trying.
    Former unique snowflake.

  10. #10
    Pit Lord velde046's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    2,415
    Quote Originally Posted by Grogo View Post
    I do LFR because I have no friends and I have no friends because I do LFR. Think about that a sec.
    Technically both are your choice.... instead of accepting the fact you do not have friends, you could join a guild or try other ways to make them...
    LFR is not the best place to start making friends, joining a guild is a very good option though.

  11. #11
    Bloodsail Admiral Chrispotter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    England
    Posts
    1,189
    Quote Originally Posted by Milkwolfgang View Post
    I'm sure that threads like this could be prevented if we had basic logic lessons since early childhood. Fail education system.

    Correlation does not imply causation.
    It does not mean that it CANT be causation.
    Just because correlation is not always cause and effect, sometimes, it just is. Give the OP a break, I think he really hit the nail on the head here.

  12. #12
    Plenty of servers which are so dead in population LFR and LFD are the only possible ways to experience content. My girlfriend still plays and Trollbane-EU tragic as ever with about 12 people in org each night.

  13. #13
    Actually, I prefer LFR because I have lots of friends.

    Think about that for a second.

    Wait. You can't. You stopped reading after the first comma to fulfil your overwhelming desire to masturbate to anime.

    Infracted~
    Last edited by Aciaedius; 2013-01-06 at 10:48 AM.

  14. #14
    That statement is about as deep as a bottletop.

  15. #15
    LFR hasn't stopped anyone from making groups for Normal raids.

    If there was no LFR option but still an LFR difficulty raid it would be a bit like sha of anger, groups would form with no care of gear/class/skill no communication would be needed and when its over everyone would leave - no friends made.

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeleh View Post
    Plenty of servers which are so dead in population LFR and LFD are the only possible ways to experience content. My girlfriend still plays and Trollbane-EU tragic as ever with about 12 people in org each night.
    Burning Blade-EU Horde side is pretty much the same. Since 3.3 you're basically cut from everyone and everything if you aren't around in time for a new tier bandwagon.

    Even in larger realms there's so many of these "service guilds" with dead gchat it isn't even funny. GL with socializing in this game if there's noone waiting for you already.

    ---------- Post added 2013-01-06 at 04:11 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by allydom View Post
    LFR hasn't stopped anyone from making groups for Normal raids.

    If there was no LFR option but still an LFR difficulty raid it would be a bit like sha of anger, groups would form with no care of gear/class/skill no communication would be needed and when its over everyone would leave - no friends made.
    Wrath dungeons we're faceroll -easy. Still people created networks between each other since you were playing on the same realm.

  17. #17
    Brewmaster Zeverin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    1,372
    It's a different way we have, to make friends today, when so many people we meet, are from another server.
    They come as quickly as they go.
    Thankfully, there's the battletag to keep in touch with them. I don't like it, but it serves the purpose.

  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasami View Post

    [/COLOR]Wrath dungeons we're faceroll -easy. Still people created networks between each other since you were playing on the same realm.
    At the end of Wrath yes they were faceroll but not when the dungeons were still relevant, they needed a bit of time and communication.

    People will always take the path of least resistance, original cata dungeons were challenging and took time, they were far easier with a premade group but the majority still used dungeon finder and asked for nerfs.

    Unfortunately most people don't want everything in the game to be difficult and time consuming and require effort but thats why LFR is only 1 side of the spectrum with normal and Heroic content for others.

  19. #19
    Wait I think I got it.

    You do LFR because all your friends quit the game, and all your friends quit the game because of LFR?

  20. #20
    99% of my raiding is LFR.

    I got invited to a normal MV PUG last night by a friend, but it was too late for me to get started.

    Did I win this thread? Do I get a Kitten?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •