Thread: Gear models?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
1
2
  1. #21
    Dreadlord Iryne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Finland, Europe
    Posts
    832
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Very well might be a scholar shows up to dungeon like this or this.
    Lol, my ele is the first one. XD I love her new outfit.

    Fencers is such an grumpy moderator nowadays /hug ^_^

    I like the game and how the gear looks. Only problem with the game is that I do not have enough time to play, I mean in normal day I want to:
    - run AC for tokens&money
    - run fractals and try to get higher lvl there
    - do some WvW with guild to keep/raise our server ranking
    - get orichalcum ores form Southsun Cove, Eternal Battlegrounds and Frostgorge Sound (sometimes also from Orr)
    - finish daily by killing / collecting something. I usually get all events from WvW, but miss some kill variety and collects.
    - continue 100% world exploration

    I rarely have time to do all that and play 2-3h per day. ._.

    Other problem is the precursor price, 500g (precursor = exotic weapon used to craft legendary weapon). My goal seems to be so far. Now I just collect the other stuff for it and wait for the promised scavenge hunt for precursor... or maybe I will get the all that gold some day.

  2. #22
    I share the opinion of most posters in that some of the armor sets in this game look great, while others are just laughable at best (some of the heavy armor sets make me look like a small, blue darth vader).
    Anyhow, there are some good armorsets, if your willing to save up for them (either money or dungeon tokens), but most of them will just not fit the style you're aiming for with your character.

    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Very well might be a scholar shows up to dungeon like this
    Lol, I crafted this armor for my mesmer back when she was lvl 5 or something.
    Immediately used my basic transmutation stones to change the look of my character back to how it was.
    Honestly, even the vendor whites looked better than that set.
    Accusing someone of breaking the forum rules is backseat moderating.
    Accusing someone of backseat moderating is backseat moderating.
    Therefore, due to its nature, backseat moderating will lead to nothing more than circular discussions.

  3. #23
    Dreadlord Iryne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Finland, Europe
    Posts
    832
    Quote Originally Posted by Shortcut View Post
    Lol, I crafted this armor for my mesmer back when she was lvl 5 or something.
    Immediately used my basic transmutation stones to change the look of my character back to how it was.
    Honestly, even the vendor whites looked better than that set.
    Grr, that is not a set. >: ( It is combination of sets. You know, it is hot in Lion's Arch and I need to show some skin to be able to run around. XD

    This is the set you are talking about. On my picture only pants and shoes are from this lvl5 set. ^_^


    About armor&weapon looks, Dulfy has good galleries. Someone already mentioned her here, but didn't link directly to all fashion stuff.
    http://dulfy.net/category/gw2/fashion-gw2/

  4. #24
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Better than World of Warcraft, in my opinion.

    World of Warcraft is one of the most repulsive MMOs I have ever played. It looks like someone threw-up a box of crayolas on Saturday morning cartoon models.
    That sure is a harsh way to put it. I am by no means trying to sound like a fanboy or anything but for how old the engine is, the game is still holding it's own when it comes to graphics. Sure they may not be realistic or amazing graphics but it still does look nice.

  5. #25
    Pandaren Monk Maarius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Austria (EU)
    Posts
    1,832
    lol Sailormoon



    ---------- Post added 2013-01-05 at 04:23 PM ----------

    epic, this one:


  6. #26
    Quote Originally Posted by Hitorii View Post
    That sure is a harsh way to put it. I am by no means trying to sound like a fanboy or anything but for how old the engine is, the game is still holding it's own when it comes to graphics. Sure they may not be realistic or amazing graphics but it still does look nice.
    What does it have to do with the game engine at all? WoW armor design is really bad, and its surely not a limitation of the engine, but of the artist. GW2 has some nice-looking armors but many options do look generic and the variety is not that high. It does help a bit that you can paint armor, but as Fencers points out, many other games have more options.

  7. #27
    WoW armor design has been terrible since BC at the very least. Nearly everything starting from tier 7 I've found virtually indistinguishable from each other.

    I would probably love GW2's style a lot more if I hadn't played Tera first. Despite its many flaws, Tera did have some amazing armors, especially having come off of WoW and Rift, the latter of which at the time had limited and dull choices.

    GW2 is largely determined by race & class choice. As an example, I hate almost all cloth on female Asura, but you'd be hard pressed to find any cloth that doesn't look amazing on a female human. Cultural armors are nice too. Charr have some fairly "badass" options available to them.

  8. #28
    Quote Originally Posted by Hitorii View Post
    That sure is a harsh way to put it. I am by no means trying to sound like a fanboy or anything but for how old the engine is, the game is still holding it's own when it comes to graphics. Sure they may not be realistic or amazing graphics but it still does look nice.
    It's not an issue of the engine. WoW can put out still very good armor and weapons, but blizzard is not interested to put some effort in armor / weapon design. I don't like the majority of items after bc, because they are very rough and boring designed.

  9. #29
    Quote Originally Posted by BonesDeLarge View Post
    a bit offensive dont you think?
    No. Because the majority of video games are purposefully designed to appeal to a male teen and young adult demographic.

    There is a reason why the box art for Bioshock 3 looks as it does. To use a recent, well publicized example.

    Quote Originally Posted by Hitorii View Post
    That sure is a harsh way to put it. I am by no means trying to sound like a fanboy or anything but for how old the engine is, the game is still holding it's own when it comes to graphics. Sure they may not be realistic or amazing graphics but it still does look nice.
    Yea, Blizzard manage to eek out a lot of the old Warcraft 3 engine. Most of that is art direction and audience familiarity.

    Fun fact: At release WoW's graphics were considered the lesser of it's contemporaries. Warcraft was just far more accessible than most before it; from the simple gameplay and difficulty curve to the ability to run WoW on ye ol' Best Buy PC of the Week $300 special.

    It's another kind of inertia that propels World of Warcraft, not quality in any regard of the game.

  10. #30
    Scarab Lord Thelxi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    4,766
    Thanks for deleting the wrong long post, and keeping the edited and empty one..


    The detail on gear in GW2 is amazing. Being able to dye details separately is also great.

    However, almost all gear of the same armor type looks the same. All light armor has ass and crotch flaps attached to the pants, and all medium armor is invariably a trench coat. If you rolled a male ranger that doesn't like coats, you are simply out of luck in GW2.

    The variation in weapons is even worse, since you can't dye them. Finding a weapon that matches your set the way you want it to can be very challenging. Almost all more interesting weapons with a lot of color or aura, cost a good chunk of gold (euro/dollars), and even then there is not much to choose from.

    There are of course few exceptions of gear that looks absolutely amazing, IMO the sylvari cultural stuff for example. The problem is that there really is not much absolutely amazing to choose from in GW2.

    To prove my point further, very many level 80s of the same armor type end up wearing pretty much the same gear. You will quickly notice that in LA and WvW.

    Also because certain dyes like celestial are clearly better than all other white dyes, most people end up using the same dyes as well.


    About WoW, yes the game doesn't look great. Especially after they changed art direction in wrath and gear started looking very metallic, brown, with a lot of "realistic" and very visible stitches and hammered in nails, over sized shoulders and belts. If you want to look like shit in WoW, it is very easy to achieve. If you like to really mess with your toon's appearance though, you actually have far more choice and freedom in WoW than in GW2.The game has such a huge history and library of armor and weapon skins, that I had far more fun figuring out and farming my final transmog sets than I had trying to decide which GW2 weapon mismatches my transmuted set the least.


    Last edited by Thelxi; 2013-01-05 at 07:06 PM.

  11. #31
    I quite like the gear look, especially some of the cultural armors.

    I do think they need to vary up some of the medium armors though.

  12. #32
    Scarab Lord Thelxi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    4,766
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    At release WoW's graphics were considered the lesser of it's contemporaries.
    Actually that is indeed true. Most people's argument against WoW (including my own) when it was released and started becoming popular was it's low budget and outdated graphics. If anything though it just proves how unimportant graphics are to making or breaking a truly good game.

  13. #33
    Quote Originally Posted by Thelxi View Post
    Actually that is indeed true. Most people's argument against WoW (including my own) when it was released and started becoming popular was it's low budget and outdated graphics. If anything though it just proves how unimportant graphics are to making or breaking a truly good game.
    It's more demonstration of how accessibility & appealing to a broad playerbase pays off. A fact that has been the bane or heel of post World of Warcraft MMOs in many respects.

  14. #34
    Scarab Lord Thelxi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    4,766
    I agree that it definitely set the mold for new MMOs. Not liking them being more accessible and casual is your opinion however, and most of the western gamer world disagrees with you.

  15. #35
    Quote Originally Posted by Thelxi View Post
    I agree that it definitely set the mold for new MMOs. Not liking them being more accessible and casual is your opinion however, and most of the western gamer world disagrees with you.
    I didn't say anything about not liking post WOW MMOs in that post. Also not sure what relevance the opinion of vulgar audiences has anything to do with that post.

    A lot of people felt Transformers 2 or The Avengers were the best films ever made*. Surely both were more successful than many films. Indeed, most films. I will leave it up to your opinion to discern intelligent thought from that tidbit.



    *I moderator a film message board and all media forum as well. These people are real.

  16. #36
    In my brief experience with Guild Wars 2 I found that you could create some pretty good looking armor combinations, but as others have mentioned the weapons almost always seem to clash with the armor. I quickly ran out of options for my Guardian. I've never really been a fan of that style of armor to start with, but I'll say that Guild Wars 2 did a good job of making it look more appealing.

    I disagree with some of the criticisms of WoW's armor. There is a lot of variety in WoW armor. A lot of that has to do with the game's age. You can go back through level 60 content and mix some of that armor with the newer armor to create a nice look. When Transmog was released a lot of people jumped straight to the classics (Might, Judgment, Lightbringer, etc) but as time goes on people experiment more and find some really good looking combinations. I know that my most recent transmog set was fairly unique and if I ever start playing WoW again I have a few ideas for good looking sets there. It's all really a matter of taste though, some people like the crazy armor style of WoW while some people prefer the more high fantasy style of art or a mix between high fantasy and real world styles like Guild Wars 2.

    Whether you like it or not depends mostly on your own tastes. Try it and find out.

    Edit: Also when I started playing GW2 I had just stopped playing Rift and found the art style for armor to be similar, so it may have just been a case of WoW being different enough for me to be refreshing while Rift made GW2's armor prematurely stale for me.
    Last edited by RoKPaNda; 2013-01-05 at 10:03 PM.

  17. #37
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Tee-hee...

    To be fair, my armor looks a bit less ridiculous now compared to what it was in that screenshot.

  18. #38
    Quote Originally Posted by Mars Ultor View Post
    So..the general consensus is that gear looks lame.
    Depends on what you like. The general consensus means nothing, really, and I'm not even sure that's what the general consensus is.

    How does it match-up to WoW?
    Almost everything is very detailed, and fitting for what it is supposed to be visually. Especially the racial armors, which I wish there were more of in general.

  19. #39
    Quote Originally Posted by Iryne View Post
    Grr, that is not a set. >: ( It is combination of sets. You know, it is hot in Lion's Arch and I need to show some skin to be able to run around. XD

    This is the set you are talking about. On my picture only pants and shoes are from this lvl5 set. ^_^


    About armor&weapon looks, Dulfy has good galleries. Someone already mentioned her here, but didn't link directly to all fashion stuff.
    http://dulfy.net/category/gw2/fashion-gw2/
    Well, your set did quite remind me of the lvl 5 set (even the items that aren't from that set).
    Perhaps it's because the tops sort of look alike, I don't know...

    Anyhow, the thing that bothered me the most about the lvl 5 set was the amount of skin it showed, especially around the chest area.
    It just made me feel uncomfortable to see that amount of cleavage every time I opened my heroes panel.
    But to each his/her own, I guess.
    Accusing someone of breaking the forum rules is backseat moderating.
    Accusing someone of backseat moderating is backseat moderating.
    Therefore, due to its nature, backseat moderating will lead to nothing more than circular discussions.

  20. #40
    There's quite alot of gear variety I find and the dye system is fantastic sadly for me personally I think the medium gear for females in general is the worst of all choices and I can't play anything but norn females cause they have the most natural movement to me, I also don't get why some gear is barely even recognizable as the same set depending on male or female, medium duelist set is a good example it's one of the best on males and probably the worst on females where it's like they just forgot to finish the chest armor:





    The transmog system works I guess but I would much prefer a costume panel over it cause it makes it all but impossible to have multiple gearsets if you have limited costume looks you like or vice versa.
    Last edited by Manekk; 2013-01-06 at 05:47 PM.
    When in doubt, mumble...

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •