Reformatting - lost my MobO driver dics, will copying Lan to a disc work?

Hello.

So in short, I lost my Mobo driver disc, back when I first did a fresh install of Windows and powered on this computer, I could not connect to the internet, until i installed the drivers of course.

However I was wondering, I got a disc with roughly 300mb of Free space, if I download my Mobos Lan drivers to it, and if I install just that to the reformatted comp, will I be able to get internet connection so I can go download the rest?

Sadly do not have anymore discs / a way to get all the drivers onto something, so this (at the time being) is what I am aiming for.

Yes, you only need the LAN drivers to connect to internet. Just make sure to get chipset/sata/usb drivers asap for the motherboard when you get online, preferably before installing video drivers or any other software.

Lately I've installed Windows from 8GB USB stick, can easily fit all drivers there unzipped along with the OS itself.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

10+ Year Old Account
    It might even be worthwhile (with 300mb) to get all the relevant motherboard drivers. Usually Chipset, Audio, and possible USB or RAID/SATA/AHCI drivers, along with LAN. Less work to do once you get the system up and running.

15+ Year Old Account
    Just download all the newest drivers for your motherboard (and graphics card) and put them on a stick or external hard drive. If your really don't have enough space on an usb stick or external drive, just burn them on a cd/dvd...

I know this might sound a bit snobby, but are there really people*** that only have like 300mb of external storage available? I always carry at least one USB stick with me with at least some GB free space.

*** people that are somewhat accustomed to computers, as the op actually knows how to re-install his OS.
    Why do something simple, when there is a complicated way?
    Ryzen 7 2700X | BeQuiet Dark Rock Pro 4 | 16GB DDR4-3200 | MSI X470 Gaming Pro | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G | 500GB / 750GB Crucial SSD
    Fractal Define C | LG 32UK550 | Das Model S Professional Silent | CM Storm Xornet

Quote Originally Posted by Biernot View Post
    Just download all the newest drivers for your motherboard (and graphics card) and put them on a stick or external hard drive. If your really don't have enough space on an usb stick or external drive, just burn them on a cd/dvd...

I know this might sound a bit snobby, but are there really people*** that only have like 300mb of external storage available? I always carry at least one USB stick with me with at least some GB free space.

*** people that are somewhat accustomed to computers, as the op actually knows how to re-install his OS.
    I use my phone, totals 64GB of storage *thumbs up*
    -Ontopic-
    I'd do the same as the others, Except I'd write it to a disk even if i have a usb stick, seeing as you wont have your USB drivers installed, it may derp and not recognize your USB stick when you put it in. Writing the drivers to a disk has no potential way to fail you really... and you also have the driver disk for the future.

Quote Originally Posted by thunterman View Post
    seeing as you wont have your USB drivers installed, it may derp and not recognize your USB stick when you put it in.
    Every motherboard will boot and recognize USB2 sticks without any drivers, otherwise those wouldn't be able to boot or update BIOS/UEFI from USB in the first place. USB3 could be another thing but even those should work at USB2 speeds.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by sarym13 View Post
    Hello.

So in short, I lost my Mobo driver disc, back when I first did a fresh install of Windows and powered on this computer, I could not connect to the internet, until i installed the drivers of course.

However I was wondering, I got a disc with roughly 300mb of Free space, if I download my Mobos Lan drivers to it, and if I install just that to the reformatted comp, will I be able to get internet connection so I can go download the rest?

Sadly do not have anymore discs / a way to get all the drivers onto something, so this (at the time being) is what I am aiming for.
    Did you install an older than 7 version of Windows? I don't remember ever installing motherboard drivers since I've began using 7. Only needed ones are for the GPU.
    Science flies you to the moon. Religion flies you into buildings.
    To resist the influence of others, knowledge of oneself is most important.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Moshic View Post
    Did you install an older than 7 version of Windows? I don't remember ever installing motherboard drivers since I've began using 7. Only needed ones are for the GPU.
    Maybe. Windows 7 has SOME built in drivers, but they will not be up to date. You should ALWAYS install the newest chipset drivers, at least, even if 7 detects your LAN and Audio. Furthermore, that is IF it detects it. So no, partially not true, at least not enough to bank on.

Quote Originally Posted by vesseblah View Post
    Every motherboard will boot and recognize USB2 sticks without any drivers, otherwise those wouldn't be able to boot or update BIOS/UEFI from USB in the first place. USB3 could be another thing but even those should work at USB2 speeds.
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

That should have been a thought process that would occur to someone. Keep in mind OP you can do many many things, to get online and downloading. Including borrowing a friends USB drive? Having someone burn a disc? and so on and so forth, so in all actuality your all good.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Biernot View Post

I was thinking the same thing. Hopefully the OP's windows drive has more free space than this available.

All being said, I would try to find/borrow a USB stick and get the drivers on there... You can get some really cheap ones nowadays... Or find a friend who can download and burn the drivers to a CD.