Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Missed the holiday events..

Were they fun? );

Edit: Just decided to get the game.

Not as fun as Guild Wars 1's version of the same events.

Most were little mini games and dailies. Nothing particularly interesting. Just casual stuff.
    Last edited by Fencers; 2013-01-05 at 05:39 PM.

Deleted
    Yes, they were.

There was a cool jumping puzzle, and this time it wasn't crowded like the Halloween one, since they put more paths.
    There was a singing thing with notes.
    There was a mini-game where you got presents and capped them and you had special abilities.
    There was also a dungeon, which updated 5 times, and it was slightly different each time depending on pet.
    There was a thing where you protected dolyaks from attacks by building towers, kind of like a tower defense game.
    There were presents around the world.
    You could get cool stuff or pain.
    Lion's Arch was dressed with snow and stuff, it was really nice.

And it will come back next year too most likely

10+ Year Old Account
    Decidely tons of fun! Yes mini-games (and dungeons and jumping puzzles and pvp games)

Who can forget the Mad King Clock Tower?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kXRTfI06pXY
    Valar morghulis

Quote Originally Posted by Karizee View Post
    Decidely tons of fun! Yes mini-games (and dungeons and jumping puzzles and pvp games)

Who can forget the Mad King Clock Tower?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kXRTfI06pXY
    Slightly off-topic but how can you make your loot screen appear on the side (like at the end of that video) rather than in a separate 'window'?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by nevermore View Post
    Slightly off-topic but how can you make your loot screen appear on the side (like at the end of that video) rather than in a separate 'window'?
    Turn on auto looting from options

Pretty fun although, like Fencers, I preferred GW1's version of the holidays (but I suspect that has to do with how the game is made). With all of the mini games in this event and the Halloween event it begs the question on why aren't there mini games put in place in the cities?

Deleted
    I didn't play GW1 but I think the Halloween Event was one of the best holiday events I've ever experienced in an MMO.

The content was varied and engaging, the Puzzle excruciating but satisfying and the Dungeon was rewarding.

Compared to that the Wintersday stuff was just "ok". Imo it dragged on for a little too long and the PvE and PvP content/achievements just didn't seem all that engaging. Still decent by any standard, just not as good as Halloween.

Quote Originally Posted by Iryne View Post
    Turn on auto looting from options

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Crowe View Post
    I didn't play GW1 but I think the Halloween Event was one of the best holiday events I've ever experienced in an MMO.

The content was varied and engaging, the Puzzle excruciating but satisfying and the Dungeon was rewarding.

Compared to that the Wintersday stuff was just "ok". Imo it dragged on for a little too long and the PvE and PvP content/achievements just didn't seem all that engaging. Still decent by any standard, just not as good as Halloween.
    I kind of liked them both. I do admit some of the events for Haloween, like the one with the ghosts and villagers, was more fun, but the start of clockwork tower where people were piling up and made it annoying kind of removed points from the Haloween event for me. So overall, I feel they were both very fun and engaging, with small faults, but small.

Deleted
    I tried the play music minigame and didnt get the point of that :P
    There was snowball battleground and it was really fun, only played a couple of them... no real reward which was a bit wierd... I dont know how you bought christmas items but getting some kind of tokens to that for a win would have been something... or get a christmas present containing fun stuff with chance on minipet or something.
    You will be able to take part in february event, think it will be a pvp event... something in wvwvw... will be interesting to find out, shame on wvwvw queues though so I probably wont be able to get in... but if you got time to spend in queues or rolled on a lowpop server you will be able to check it out =)

Quote Originally Posted by Tea View Post
    I tried the play music minigame and didnt get the point of that :P
    There was snowball battleground and it was really fun, only played a couple of them... no real reward which was a bit wierd... I dont know how you bought christmas items but getting some kind of tokens to that for a win would have been something... or get a christmas present containing fun stuff with chance on minipet or something.
    You will be able to take part in february event, think it will be a pvp event... something in wvwvw... will be interesting to find out, shame on wvwvw queues though so I probably wont be able to get in... but if you got time to spend in queues or rolled on a lowpop server you will be able to check it out =)
    You DID get presents for winning OR losing the snowball fight. Not sure what you're talking about here.

Wasn't that much fun for me, I enjoyed mini-games a couple of times, rewards were not so appealing, so I didn't even feel like doing it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by NightZero88 View Post
    You DID get presents for winning OR losing the snowball fight. Not sure what you're talking about here.
    Hm, where? Havent logged in since I played mine, were they sent in mail so I can expect some good stuff there now?=)

Quote Originally Posted by Tea View Post
    Hm, where? Havent logged in since I played mine, were they sent in mail so I can expect some good stuff there now?=)
    You got a Present (1 for loss, 3 for win, I think) right at the end of the event. Inside was the holiday currency (socks, sweater or hat) that could be turned in for other stuff.

They went right into your bag. There wasn't a message or anything that popped up to say what you won.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Svifnymr View Post
    You got a Present (1 for loss, 3 for win, I think) right at the end of the event. Inside was the holiday currency (socks, sweater or hat) that could be turned in for other stuff.
    Plus there was a chance to get the Wintersday mats, new recipes, mini-pets, Wintersday weapon skins and the Unbreakable Choir Bell.
    Valar morghulis

Yeah I liked them, I liked the Christmas event more than the Halloween event. It's a nice change because Halloween is usually more fun.

Speaking of holiday events do you guys think there will be more upcoming ones? Like in wow there is Midsummer Fire Festival and Brewfest.

Well so far they seem to be following the same special holiday event schedule as they did for GW1. So if they continue with that then yeah there will be more. However, a couple of those are directly related with Cantha (Canthan New Year and the Dragon Festival). Since Cantha has been closed off for a while in the timeline, I'm not sure if they will have those or make up some new holidays.

Deleted
    ah found 6 gifts in my bags, but not enough socks or hats to buy anything =/ Well, then it worked as intended anyway and thats good =)