Page 1 of 5
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Ghostcrawler Said a Thing...

Time to start taking it out of context, right?

Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    5.1 was supposed to be launched with Mists. It was cut and "masked" as a patch to combat GW2. 5.2 isn't like that.
    I think you greatly overestimate our ability to hit a target date even if we paid that close attention to competitors. (Source)
    So what do we think? I think the thing the community will blow out of proportion is his cockiness? Yeah, let's go with that.

[sarcasm]

OMG BLIZZ IS SO STUPID TEHY DONT THINK ANYONE CAN TOUCH THEM ND SAY THEY DONT TRY TO RIPOFF OTHER GAMES WTF ITS OBVIOUS THEY STOLE ACHEEVEMENTS FROM XBOX

[/sarcasm]

Ahem. That hurt my heart.
    Steve Irwin died the same way he lived. With animals in his heart.

I'm surprised no one has jumped on that yet.

Though I must say, the comment GC replied to made me go WTF. 5.1 was supposed to have launched with Mists? What?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerraw View Post

Though I must say, the comment GC replied to made me go WTF. 5.1 was supposed to have launched with Mists? What?
    It was planned for through all of development. The entire coast of Krasarang was left empty just for the Alliance and Horde bases, and it was the first part of the "Trials of the High King" line that was supposed to start at launch.

I see the logic to it, but it's pretty obvious they had planned for Landfall to happen two months after launch since the Jade Forest revamp.
    Steve Irwin died the same way he lived. With animals in his heart.

10+ Year Old Account
    Blizzard have been pretty bad with release speed in the past.

Months of ZA/ZG whilst they got their act together with LFR wasn't the best experience of my life.
    37 + (3*7) + (3*7)
    W/L/T/Death count: Wolf: 0/1/0/1 | Mafia: 1/6/0/7 | TPR: 0/4/1/5
    SK: 0/1/0/1 | VT: 2/5/2/7 | Cult: 1/0/0/1

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Validity View Post
    It was planned for through all of development. The entire coast of Krasarang was left empty just for the Alliance and Horde bases, and it was the first part of the "Trials of the High King" line that was supposed to start at launch.

I see the logic to it, but it's pretty obvious they had planned for Landfall to happen two months after launch since the Jade Forest revamp.
    I may be wrong, but I seem to recall them saying that the trials part and the Krasarang invasion (they hadn't specified that it would be in Krasarang) would progressively happen with patches, so that immediately implied that it wouldn't be there at launch. The thing that was supposed to be released in 5.0 but was pushed back was the item upgrade system. I may be wrong here, and I cba to find blue posts from months ago, but at least that's what I recall.

Quote Originally Posted by Firebert View Post
    Months of ZA/ZG whilst they got their act together with LFR wasn't the best experience of my life.
    Yeah that was pretty bad. Two pretty awesome dungeons, in my opinion, but the fact that many players were stuck with running those two for so long without any other alternatives was pretty bad. They should have done the merged queues together with a separate queue for Zuls like they did in 4.3 from the start, but that's hindsight for you.
    Last edited by Adramalech; 2013-01-05 at 01:58 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tya View Post
    As a warlock, allow me to be the first to say that I get tremendous amounts of joy from watching fear pathing take you to Africa.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drayarr View Post
    Twinking is like going back to school when you are 30, just to be smarter than the other kids.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Validity View Post
    Time to start taking it out of context, right?

Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    5.1 was supposed to be launched with Mists. It was cut and "masked" as a patch to combat GW2. 5.2 isn't like that.
    I think you greatly overestimate our ability to hit a target date even if we paid that close attention to competitors. (Source)
    So what do we think? I think the thing the community will blow out of proportion is his cockiness? Yeah, let's go with that.

[sarcasm]

OMG BLIZZ IS SO STUPID TEHY DONT THINK ANYONE CAN TOUCH THEM ND SAY THEY DONT TRY TO RIPOFF OTHER GAMES WTF ITS OBVIOUS THEY STOLE ACHEEVEMENTS FROM XBOX

[/sarcasm]

Ahem. That hurt my heart.
    There's a better candidate tho:

Q: So, going by the information available as of now, 5.2 will once again be a 5 months wait?
    A: Was 5.1?

But this one hits it out of the ball park. That's epic!!
    Q: I'm coming back to WoW after a 6 year break. What's changed?
    A: They found Mankrik's wife.

10+ Year Old Account
    The thing that was supposed to be released in 5.0 but was pushed back was the item upgrade system.
    Correct. But not because it wasn't done, but because they felt that 5.0 had enough different item levels to confuse the community already, so they didn't want to add more.

Op. Shieldwall/Dominance(?) was supposed to take place 2 months after the jade forest debacle, as stated in the quest texts.
    They released 5.1 two months later, making that timeline fit perfectly.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Adramalech View Post
    Yeah that was pretty bad. Two pretty awesome dungeons, in my opinion, but the fact that many players were stuck with running those two for so long without any other alternatives was pretty bad. They should have done the merged queues together with a separate queue for Zuls like they did in 4.3 from the start, but that's hindsight for you.
    Having the community also lock players such as myself out of Firelands until the last week just made it worse.

The other side of the coin was rushing out Trial of the Champions and getting Ulduar finished with, even though Ulduar was a very good raiding experience for most concerned.
    37 + (3*7) + (3*7)
    W/L/T/Death count: Wolf: 0/1/0/1 | Mafia: 1/6/0/7 | TPR: 0/4/1/5
    SK: 0/1/0/1 | VT: 2/5/2/7 | Cult: 1/0/0/1

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Firebert View Post
    Having the community also lock players such as myself out of Firelands until the last week just made it worse.

The other side of the coin was rushing out Trial of the Champions and getting Ulduar finished with, even though Ulduar was a very good raiding experience for most concerned.
    Yeah, but the community really can't be fixed. What's that saying, "you can't fix stupid"? Something like that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tya View Post
    As a warlock, allow me to be the first to say that I get tremendous amounts of joy from watching fear pathing take you to Africa.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drayarr View Post
    Twinking is like going back to school when you are 30, just to be smarter than the other kids.

lol - At least he admits they are their competitors. That does mean that they are obviously watching what they are doing. And probably trying to counter it as much as they can.

GW2 is launching big patches in January and February. BLizzard has nothing other than empty PTR so it looks like the "competitors" have a good chance now to win some players over.

Personally - Im playing RIFT atm. I hate what Blizzard did to multi-role characters in MOP (ilvl update system makes them feel far behind in terms of gear) so I had no other option than to find a game that offered better gameplay for multi-roles. Having a blast atm tanking, healing, supporting and dps knowing I wont be punished and falling 20 item lvls behind just because I deside to play more than 1 role.

Quote Originally Posted by Nerraw View Post

Yeah, we knew I think as far back as Blizzcon 2011 that some extra stuff would be occurring in Krasarang Wilds as the expansion progressed.

I'm sure DO/Shieldwall was already heavily planned/completed by the time MOP was released, though.

10+ Year Old Account
    If he's saying "you greatly overestimate our ability to hit a target date..." to me it sounds like self-depricating humor. He was obviously being sarcastic and having some fun trolling the guy a little bit. No harm done.

"Competitors". Hohoho I giggled Blizz.

Its quite obvious he isn't being truthful here. I won't try to debate if 5.1 was supposed to launch as 5.0 or not, but they definitely launched mope on that specific date for a reason.

I made the first tweet. Things like the Upgrade system, the empty Krassarang zone, ICONS for many items, The sloppy Mind quickening on Sporebats. I am still convinced they rushed 5.0 half assed for 2 reasons:

1) 10 months of DS

2) Compete with Guild wars 2

Quote Originally Posted by Duster505 View Post
    lol - At least he admits they are their competitors. That does mean that they are obviously watching what they are doing. And probably trying to counter it as much as they can.
    You actually deserve an extra prize for completely misreading what he said and filtering the exact opposite of the information he was trying to convey. He actually pointed out that they don't try to counter their competiors as much as people assume. He basically said: we're so behind our own schedules that we couldn't effectively counter the other guys even if we tried.

Of course they try to. That's a completely normal business practice. If you ran a company, you would be an idiot to be the only one to not put out a high profile product around christmas trade period, for example. But he pointed out that people assume Blizzard of trying to sabotage their competition much more then they actually care of doing.

Those theories about "holding back 5.1 content" are pretty nonsensical. Of course there's a plan behind the whole thing - but the plan isn't to tactically hamper the competition, but to do what they promised that they would be doing: having more frequent patches and providing content more regularly, with less moot periods in between compared to the previous years.

If I'm a game developer and I plan to implement a new questing hub in an existing zone for one of the later patches, why shouldn't I build the terrain accordingly in advance? How does that not make sense?! Do you think it would have something to do with efficient work flow if they patched in a zone that they would have to rebuild again completely for the next patch?

On the other hand, when situations occur where something isn't doable without major effort because the systems haven't been built anticipatory for changes in the future (account-wide stuff, flying in Silvermoon for example), people accuse them of not having foresight. It's ridiculous.

And please, don't be so paranoid. Do you really think a company of their size, with their amounts of success, with such a gargantuan player base like WoW has, would commit their whole scope of operations to effectively countering what the comparatively miniscule competition does? Their job is to maintain a lively course of their own game first and foremost, and that's what they're doing.
    Last edited by Pull My Finger; 2013-01-05 at 02:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cybran View Post
    I made the first tweet. Things like the Upgrade system, the empty Krassarang zone, ICONS for many items, The sloppy Mind quickening on Sporebats. I am still convinced they rushed 5.0 half assed for 2 reasons:

1) 10 months of DS

2) Compete with Guild wars 2
    I think you forget the main reason why it launched end of September. 3rd quarter report. THe rep of the game would have been damaged even more if they lost another 1 million subs in that report. And it would have happened for sure considering they just broke back to 10 mills with MOP.

And there we go. Do you guys want your tinfoil now?

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyHellfire View Post
    You actually deserve an extra prize for completely misreading what he said and filtering the exact opposite of the information he was trying to convey. He actually pointed out that they don't try to counter their competiors as much as people assume they do. He basically said: we're so behind our own schedules that we couldn't effectively counter the other guys even if we tried.

Of course they try to. That's a completely normal business practice. If you ran a company, you would be an idiot to be the only one to not put out a high profile product around christmas trade period, for example. But he pointed out that people assume Blizzard of trying to sabotage their competition much more then they actually care of doing.
    They dont know what the plan for other games are - but it was very obvious that they tried to counter GW2. If they need to really think about other games atm? Dont know. I think they got enough addicts in MOP right now to be content until next quarter report. Asia has probably kept them at least at 10 mills so their next goal is to not loose more until 1st Q report of 2013. So 5.2 is probably launching end of March. I can say its 95% certain.

You actually think that this has anything to do with other than pure buisness ? It might have been 7 years ago with BLizzard - and thats why they got alot of support from gamers. But last year did alot to show gamers that they are dead last now when it comes to BLizzard designing a game. RMAH in D3 and 9 months of no support on live WOW servers goes very far to just show that.
    Last edited by Duster505; 2013-01-05 at 02:58 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Duster505 View Post
    Personally - Im playing RIFT atm. I hate what Blizzard did to multi-role characters in MOP (ilvl update system makes them feel far behind in terms of gear) so I had no other option than to find a game that offered better gameplay for multi-roles. Having a blast atm tanking, healing, supporting and dps knowing I wont be punished and falling 20 item lvls behind just because I deside to play more than 1 role.
    I am interested by this comment and it is completely off topic (good job by me for carrying it on!).

It makes it sound like you don't need different sets of gear for all the different roles in Rift which is a very interesting idea!

In Rift do the stats on your gear change when you change role? Or are all stats like Mastery in WoW which applies to all roles?

I played Rift for about 2 months at launch and it as of course changed a lot since them.

In WoW for example there is quite a big gear crossover between Shaman Resto and Elemental gear but all that gear is useless for Enhancement.

Does a Cleric - Justicar use the same gear as a Cleric - Purifier?