Trying LoL, played Dota/2 + Hon over the past years.

So, I have played Dota>HoN>Dota 2 for many years, so I know the basic concept, even though LoL has a few different mechanics.

But the one thing that bothers me, is that I tend to lose alot. Doesn't matter if I play mid, carry or support. I know how to play these roles, and I feel like I play very well, but my team mates, they are feeding like crazy.

So my question is, will I ever get anyone that knows how to play?

Playing on Eu west.

Edit : After reading it I sound like a total elitist, that was not my intention, I'm open for advice, and any help that I can recieve.

Deleted
    You're just "new" to the game, you're still low level and everyone else is more less at the same skill as you.

Low level games tend to be very bad for everyone because of the smurfs(alt accounts of level 30s), the other players are generally bad, which is understandable(I was too when I started playing) and yeah, pretty much.

Just keep playing and you'll improve, just don't have the mentality of "I lose all the time so I will never be good", do that and I'll punch you in the face.

Its about learning the champions and getting used to what objectives are priority in LoL compared to the other games. You can rely on CS and securing dragons to get a good solid gold income or you can rush down towers to get real map control. In the more "EU/NA" meta players deliberately dont kill towers so that it will kill your creeps thus denying your enemy gold/experience, also you can freeze a lane near your tower meaning that if your enemy wants to CS he will come into an area where he can be ganked easily.

The tower rush+map control strategy is coming off the Asian teams at tournaments currently, and is probably too advanced for solo queue people :P

If your team mates are struggling you can play pressure champions, TF, Eve, Shaco, Panth, Shen, that have global threats and either make the enemy wary or allow you to capitalise on their mistakes.

You can have bad players at every level of play except at the very top (2.2k+ ELO). It's understandable if you are not even 30 level, some people take longer to learn.

You just have to put up with bad players in solo Q, or find a group of people to play with.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Turbodymoman View Post
    You can have bad players at every level of play except at the very top (2.2k+ ELO).
    Actually, a lot of 2.2k ELo are pretty dumb and obtuse and think they are always right, so I wouldn't say that ALL 2.2k Elo players aren't bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Evolithic View Post
    So, I have played Dota>HoN>Dota 2 for many years, so I know the basic concept, even though LoL has a few different mechanics.

But the one thing that bothers me, is that I tend to lose alot. Doesn't matter if I play mid, carry or support. I know how to play these roles, and I feel like I play very well, but my team mates, they are feeding like crazy.

So my question is, will I ever get anyone that knows how to play?

Playing on Eu west.

Edit : After reading it I sound like a total elitist, that was not my intention, I'm open for advice, and any help that I can recieve.

If you really played Dota/2 and HoN all these years i will tell you things the correct way that you will understand.

Remember those Russians in Dota 2 that go 0-5 in 5mins, start typing in their language and leave right after?

Remember those 1500 rating , over 2000 games players in HoN with 0.1 KD ratio and only carry heroes that want mid, go 0-5 and you have to concede at 15mins cause their mid is 10-0 and 5 levels ahead?

Now, take those, put them in League of Legends and give them full power over the game with Tribunal (Its a community banlist system).

Nothing will change even if you hit 30, and nothing will change until you reach about 1800+ Elo, which 1800+ elo is the same as 1700 in HoN, games become much better and interesting without insane amount of bads.

Game can be really fun, but the players are beyond repair, its understandable, LoL is the latest trend, free to play, plays on strong smartphones even, everyone plays it and its the reason you have those games.

Find friends and play with them only, queue as a 5v5 team, then it becomes alright, or play ARAM at custom as i do only when there are friends around..otherwise i might break my screen at how bad LoL players are.

I gave up and went back to HoN/Dota 2, leaves is better than 99% bads.
    Last edited by potis; 2013-01-05 at 06:14 PM.

Deleted
    Good players, the ones worth playing again with, are very few and far apart from my experience. Occasionally there will be a really friendly fellow summoner, who actually knows his / her stuff too. But yeah, better not expect anything, even in ranked (although i'm low elo) there are retards, trolls, feeders etc. etc.

Okey, thanks for the insight

Guess I just have to play with friends, and just tolerate the fact that new players will enter my game before I reach a certain level.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by potis View Post
    If you really played Dota/2 and HoN all these years i will tell you things the correct way that you will understand.

Remember those Russians in Dota 2 that go 0-5 in 5mins, start typing in their language and leave right after?

Remember those 1500 rating , over 2000 games players in HoN with 0.1 KD ratio and only carry heroes that want mid, go 0-5 and you have to concede at 15mins cause their mid is 10-0 and 5 levels ahead?

Now, take those, put them in League of Legends and give them full power over the game with Tribunal (Its a community banlist system).

Nothing will change even if you hit 30, and nothing will change until you reach about 1800+ Elo, which 1800+ elo is the same as 1700 in HoN, games become much better and interesting without insane amount of bads.

Game can be really fun, but the players are beyond repair, its understandable, LoL is the latest trend, free to play, plays on strong smartphones even, everyone plays it and its the reason you have those games.

Find friends and play with them only, queue as a 5v5 team, then it becomes alright, or play ARAM at custom as i do only when there are friends around..otherwise i might break my screen at how bad LoL players are.

I gave up and went back to HoN/Dota 2, leaves is better than 99% bads.
    HoN is Free-to-play now too, and with the number of invites Valve is spitting out for DOTA 2, there's plenty of invites out there that it's practically free at this point.

And don't people make complaints about being put into Low Priority in DOTA 2 after just 2 abandons?
    Enstraynomic - League of Legends
    TheEnst - Starcraft II

Having played hon and dota, you probably have the basic mechanics of creep killing, denying (which LOL doesn't have), when to push and so on. The rest of the game is really learning each and every champion, and in your case, making comparisons with similar champions in hon and dota. A lot of champions are similar in all 3 games, however the animation of the spell and damage might be different.
    The other thing, you might not be use to in LOL are summoner spells and a lot more mana regen/spell usage compare to the other 2 games. Granted from what you said, you are doing decent and other players are feeding is pretty typical especially when it comes with lower levels since there are a lot of newbies learning the game fresh or/and smurfs (lv 30 people playing on low level accounts).

Just keep playing if you enjoy the game bare the pain of newbies, cause there are more when you hit max level xD

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Williee View Post
    Having played hon and dota, you probably have the basic mechanics of creep killing, denying (which LOL doesn't have), when to push and so on. The rest of the game is really learning each and every champion, and in your case, making comparisons with similar champions in hon and dota. A lot of champions are similar in all 3 games, however the animation of the spell and damage might be different.
    The other thing, you might not be use to in LOL are summoner spells and a lot more mana regen/spell usage compare to the other 2 games. Granted from what you said, you are doing decent and other players are feeding is pretty typical especially when it comes with lower levels since there are a lot of newbies learning the game fresh or/and smurfs (lv 30 people playing on low level accounts).

Just keep playing if you enjoy the game bare the pain of newbies, cause there are more when you hit max level xD
    In addition, unlike in DOTA where damage done by spells remains a flat amount by spell rank, there are spells in League that scale with a stat Ability Power, allowing mages to deal decent damage throughout the entire game assuming they can get the farm/kills needed to purchase items. The same goes with some abilities scaling with Attack Damage.

Carries in League also don't have the really insane hyperscaling compared to DOTA 2, so you won't see a champion soloing an entire enemy team unless the enemies are really underfarmed, compared to the horror stories of DOTA carries like Faceless Void being able to do that.
    Last edited by Thallidomaniac; 2013-01-06 at 04:28 AM.
    Enstraynomic - League of Legends
    TheEnst - Starcraft II

You should pick it up pretty quick. LoL has a far lower learning curve than Dota so after a dozen games you should be on your way. You will encounter bad players regardless of level and in fact the impact of a bad player is more noticeable as you gain levels (from my experience). The best advice is to play with a group of friends on Skype/whatever. Coordination can result in a win even if you were losing. Turn /all chat off because the trash talking can put some ppl off and from my experience there is far more of it in LoL than Dota (can't speak for HoN).