View Poll Results: Where do you stand?

Voters
108. You may not vote on this poll
  • I'm American and I support America.

41 37.96%
  • I'm American and I oppose America.

13 12.04%
  • I'm European and I support my country and/or oppose the EU.

28 25.93%
  • I'm European and I oppose my country and/or support the EU.

14 12.96%
  • I'm of other nationality and I support my country.

8 7.41%
  • I'm of another nationality and I oppose my country.

4 3.70%
Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Swazi Spring View Post
    I heard a possible explanation for that lately. People tend to think that their representative is "good" but that Congress as a whole is "bad."
    Man, that's an ironic sig if I've ever seen one.

Quote Originally Posted by Garnier Fructis View Post
    Your poll options are too black and white. There's a sliding scale of support, and I fall more on the side of not supporting us going around everywhere and policing the globe. Hence, I chose "oppose." That's not to say I hate America, I like it here. I just don't like our foreign policy.
    Yeah, I'm personally having trouble choosing any option, because I support America, but don't have blind patriotism. I see many issues with America, both fundamentally and some of the newer routes it is going. Personally though, I have patriotism for other countries, mostly ones I have heritage with and have friends living where I'd love to attempt living (i.e. Norway).
    i7-5820K | ASUS X99- Deluxe | Crucial 2x8GB DDR4 2133MHz | eVGA GTX 760 SC | Crucial MX100 512GB | Crucial M500 240GB | Crucial m4 128GB | Western Digital Blue 1TB | Western Digital Black 1TB | SeaSonic X660 Gold
    ASUS MX239H | Schiit Stack Modi + Asgard 2 | Audio Technica ATH-AD700 | Presonus Eris E5 Studio Monitors | Blue Snowball Mic | Razer Death Adder | Corsair K70 | CyberPower 1500PFCLCD UPS

Quote Originally Posted by Chrysia View Post
    Could your poll options be any more biased?

I'm a patriotic American. I believe in the ideals of social responsibility, regard for your neighbors, justice, freedom, and a government intended to work for it's people.

I am not "right-minded." I am "reason minded." Smaller government will almost always be more effective government. Focused, forward-thinking, and largely tangential to our day to day lives.

I also believe strongly that in todays' world, the idea of an armed citizenry serving as our primary line of defense is absurd. We need ICBMs and F15s, and those things do not belong in private hands.

I also believe, in the age of the nuclear family, people do need outside assistance from time-to-time, so support sane, limited welfare. (Note, that is not even close to what we have now.)

I believe that, good health being necessary to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness, that affordable healthcare should be provided to all citizens.

As you see, my ideals do not line up 100% with yours, but I still feel I am a patriot. That does not mean I am blind to the fact that the original framework provided by the founders has seen both necessary and unnecessary additions since the founding, since the founders were incapable of envisioning many of the changes that predicated those changes.

I'm not "un-American" for believing that the government cannot remain dogmatically wedded to 230 year old ideals.
    I don't think I've read anything on these forums with which I've agreed more.

As for 230 year old ideals, to me that depends on the idea. For instance, the first ten amendments I find to be rather timeless. Perfect, no, because everything can be improved with enough foresight, but I'm fairly firm in the idea that they (the ten amendments) should remain largely untouched while this country remains.
    I'm a gun-toting, Constitution clinging American atheist, in that order.

Virgo Supercluster, Local Group, Milky Way, Orion Arm, Solar System, Earth, European Union, Croatia
    Quote Originally Posted by Dillon View Post
    As for 230 year old ideals, to me that depends on the idea. For instance, the first ten amendments I find to be rather timeless. Perfect, no, because everything can be improved with enough foresight, but I'm fairly firm in the idea that they (the ten amendments) should remain largely untouched while this country remains.
    Well if you yourself admit they're not perfect then why say you believe they should remain untouched (and you're even speaking in advance without actually knowing what will happen in the future and what kind of conditions will exist).

Stood in the Fire lostprophet12's Avatar
    I'm not particularly patriotic, I don't feel any particular love for my country at all, the only time I even become remotely patriotic is during sport. I don't see why supporting the EU goes hand in hand with opposing your country either, or vice versa. Although I do oppose my current government's obvious dislike for the EU. Getting rid of the royals would make me like my country more, I'm suspicious of anyone who lives here who is happy to be a subject and doesn't want to become a citizen.

Personally, I feel you have to be pretty stupid to be patriotic about what country you come from, you were born there by chance, and it's more than likely that you have done or contributed nothing of note to the things that you think make your country great.

Quote Originally Posted by Wikiy View Post
    Well if you yourself admit they're not perfect then why say you believe they should remain untouched (and you're even speaking in advance without actually knowing what will happen in the future and what kind of conditions will exist).
    You missed the word "largely" in there. That still allows for some change.