Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    Deleted

The World's Most Advanced Bionic Arm!

The bebionic3 by RSLSteeper is a carbon-fiber myoelectric hand which is also made from aluminium and alloy knuckles. The bebionic3 moves by responding to muscle twitches in the upper arm. The prosthetic limb uses sensors to trigger one of 14 pre-programmed grips that mirror common human hand movements. The sensitivity is programmable, allowing the user to touch type on a computer keyboard, handle fragile objects like an egg and even use a computer mouse.

Below you will find additional information on this remarkable device along with images and an amazing video that demonstrates the bebionic3′s capabilities.

Source: http://twistedsifter.com/2012/11/ter...c3-rslsteeper/

Wonder how long it will take him to pull a Wolowitz...

10+ Year Old Account
    Impressive I gotta say. I think I've seen something similar on T.V. I hear that there are people working on prosthetic limbs that even allow you to feel!
    Quote Originally Posted by Unknown
    "The world is a magical place full of people waiting to be offended by something"
    Quote Originally Posted by Bertrand Russell
    "The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time"

Deleted
    Pretty amazing but I'd never trade this for my real arm.

Not surprising at all. We've known for a long time that current projections are for full-blown robots (like the kind you see in sci-fi films) should become reality around 2025. This video just shows how close were getting to that kind of tech. We're only 12 years away now. Something like this arm in the video should be coming out by now.

pretty neat tho I think this tops it

http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id=50137987n

The newest version even sends signals back to the brain so people can actually feel things

I mean, it really IS coming, folks. Full-blown automated robots walking around, performing blue collar tasks like stock shelves, landscaping, cleaning, etc, all by 2025.

Unemployment will go way up when it hits.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Olo View Post
    pretty neat tho I think this tops it

http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id=50137987n

The newest version even sends signals back to the brain so people can actually feel things
    What the fuck? That's AMAZING.

She freaking controlled a robot with just her brain.

10+ Year Old Account
    impressive. i hope he gets to keep it and improve his way of life. He mentioned he was given the arm to try on.

The idea of cybernetics mixing with living creatures has often creeped me out, kind of thinks of the horror movies of people having there brains placed in robotic bodies.. for me, life wouldn't be worth it if you lived as a cold husk like that.

But in the exception of this, allowing a man to have his lost arm replaced does some good for him.
    #boycottchina

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Majad View Post
    Pretty amazing but I'd never trade this for my real arm.
    Give it 25 years... better than natural implants will be all the rage
    Rudimentary creatures of blood and flesh. You touch my mind, fumbling in ignorance, incapable of understanding.
    You exist because we allow it, and you will end because we demand it.

Sovereign
    Mass Effect

Deleted
    Getting closer and closer to Automail.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Fahrenheit View Post
    Hm, I don't think 25 years will be enough but yeah, I do agree that at some point in time these arms will be better than the ones we are born with.

Not really sure if I would still trade mine for one, but I wouldn't know tbh, it's not like I know how these new arms would be, so it's impossible for me to jump to a good conclusion.

So it can be used to drink beer. I approve this message.

Hm, I don't think 25 years will be enough but yeah, I do agree that at some point in time these arms will be better than the ones we are born with.

Not really sure if I would still trade mine for one, but I wouldn't know tbh, it's not like I know how these new arms would be, so it's impossible for me to jump to a good conclusion.

I would trade mine for one that did things better than I can do now. Imagine how much easier work would be if with one arm you can lift and control 200lbs, bend things with your fingers like it was visegrips, hold things that are very hot/cold, or really sharp.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by drwelfare View Post
    I would trade mine for one that did things better than I can do now. Imagine how much easier work would be if with one arm you can lift and control 200lbs, bend things with your fingers like it was visegrips, hold things that are very hot/cold, or really sharp.
    I know all that is very tempting, but I honestly don't see myself in a job where I need to be super strong to be able to do X or Y, you know? That's why I think I wouldn't want to trade my arm.

I know all that is very tempting, but I honestly don't see myself in a job where I need to be super strong to be able to do X or Y, you know? That's why I think I wouldn't want to trade my arm.
    So you wouldn't give up your natural arms for the ability to beat up a pissed off lion? :P We could truly be the top of the food chain! :P

Quote Originally Posted by Fahrenheit View Post
    I never asked for this

10+ Year Old Account
    Gentlemen, we can rebuild him. We have the technology. We have the capability to build the world's first bionic man. Steve Austin will be that man. Better than he was before. Better, stronger, faster.

Somebody had to say it.

Back on topic, I truly hope this technology can ease the hardships of those who have been wounded. As to the talk of "trading up" I.E. giving up one of my fully functional arms for superhuman power, I think I'll pass.
    I sat alone in the dark one night, tuning in by remote.
    I found a preacher who spoke of the light, but there was Brimstone in his throat.
    He'd show me the way, according to him, in return for my personal check.
    I flipped my channel back to CNN and lit another cigarette.

Thing is, at some point cybernetic enhancements will make your limbs better off than without them. I understand the hesitation of chopping off a real arm for a prosthetic, but what if you could instead simply enhance it? E.g. replace bone with steel, insert USB ports into your arm powered by your heart (for charging devices, etc), lace your skin with nanomaterials to increase its resilience.

What about eyes? If you could change your eyes to synthetic ones that would be able to effortlessly switch wavelengths (e.g. infrared, ultraviolet, nightvision, etc), have a built-in camera, a built-in HDR, and so on, wouldn't you?

And you know at some point society will force you to get those implants / replacements. You'll be passed up for jobs / promos if you're not enhanced, ladies will be less likely to like you in bed if you don't have additional oomph down there (for males), etc.

10+ Year Old Account
    Only if it can make me know how to use alchemy will I use it.