Page 1 of 3
1
2
3
LastLast
  1. #1

    Level 80 Prot Paladin Madness

    Hiya,

    A friend of mine tried to kill a blood elf Paladin who was trying to attack Ironforge earlier this evening, and the numbers seem rather surprising - I'm curious as to how the following was possible.

    The paladin was lvl 80, Protection spec.
    The shaman was a lowish-geared lvl 90 Elemental shaman with about 370k health. She's not a PvPer at all, but I'd have still expected her to win this fight.

    From the shaman's Skada, the following was logged (names removed because I don't want to cause trouble, just would like to understand what happened and how):

    Shaman dies.
    -0.37: Shield of the Righteous -242.2k (0.0%)
    -0.47: Attack -21.7k (28.3%)
    -0.77: Hammer of the Righteous -19.3k (28.3%)
    -0.77: Hammer of the Righteous -4.4k (33.7%)
    -1.93: Attack -23.6k (41.5%)
    -1.93: Judgment -184.0k (41.5%)
    -3.33: Attack -24.9k (100%)

    .. that's 520.1k in 3.33secs, or about 156k DPS.

    If it helps, I looked the paladin up on the armory - he's got as many ilvl 409 items as he could get his hands on, regardless of stats (there's some cloth, some leather, some mail, some plate, some healer plate). He's listed as having about 105k HP and almost 4500 AP.

    Anyone shed some light?

    Cheers.

  2. #2
    2492 mastery for avoidance cap. + Vengeance bug against higher level., giving them insane high amount of AP.

    80 prot paladins can solo ICC bosses atm.

    Go google invincible 80 paladin.

  3. #3
    Moderator Fhi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Carnished Toast
    Posts
    2,922
    Was he attacking IF NPCs, like one of the bosses? If he was, he got all his vengeance from them when your friend came by, and currently, level 80 mastery scaling is stupid broken, such that he can survive level 93 bosses - which would give him tons of vengeance and your friend ate all of that.

    Paladin Beard Moderator | MMO-C Guidelines | Signature and avatar art by Dancing Hare

  4. #4
    Wow, explains a lot, thanks! Does this just happen at lvl 80?

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Aliessil View Post
    Wow, explains a lot, thanks! Does this just happen at lvl 80?
    Yeah once you start leveling past 80 the stats scale better.

  6. #6
    Legendary! Evil Inside's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Down Under
    Posts
    6,715
    Quote Originally Posted by Funkyjunky View Post
    2492 mastery for avoidance cap. + Vengeance bug against higher level., giving them insane high amount of AP.

    80 prot paladins can solo ICC bosses atm.

    Go google invincible 80 paladin.
    Not just ICC, there is a thread floating around of a pally that soloed the stone guard in msv.
    ||i5 3570k @ 4.4GHz||H100 push/pull||AsRock Z77 Extreme4||16Gb G.Skill Ripjaws 1600MHz||HD6970/HD6950 crossfire|| Coolermaster Storm Trooper||Corsair TX850 Enthusiast Series||Samsung 840 Pro 128gb(boot drive)||3x 1tb Western Digital HDD||

    Bdk Nagrand / Astae Nagrand
    Pokemon X FC: 4656-7679-2545/Trainer Name: Keno

  7. #7
    Epic! GenaiTN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Brighton, East Sussex
    Posts
    1,688
    Quote Originally Posted by b0sanac View Post
    Not just ICC, there is a thread floating around of a pally that soloed the stone guard in msv.
    What.

    Link please.

  8. #8
    Bloodsail Admiral rawhammer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Solihull, UK
    Posts
    1,001
    [QUOTE=Helai;19725437]What.

    Link please.[/QUOTE


    It's in general discussion thread.

    http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...gu-shan-Vaults

    Essentially the vengeance buff calculation is a bit Wacko Jacko at low lvls when taking damage from content above what blizzard expected you to be doing, giving you millions of AP. Apply sacred shield and gg. Quite funny really.

    Expect nerfs!
    Last edited by rawhammer; 2013-01-07 at 10:09 AM.
    MOBO: ASUS P6T SE ¦ CPU: I7 920 ¦ GPU: GTX 660 ¦ RAM: (3x4) 12GB 1600Mhz ¦ Storage: 128GB SSD & 500GB HDD

    http://www.wow-heroes.com/character/...n/rawhammered/

  9. #9
    Legendary! MerinPally's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Chemistry block.
    Posts
    6,687
    Either people are using the wrong term or I'm misunderstanding. People keep going on about the "Avoidance cap" and then relate that to mastery. Sorry what? You know it's a 2 tier system now so for an Avoidance Cap your parry + dodge + 5 must be 102.4% for a boss level target.

    If 2492 mastery grants 100% block (which I don't think it does) that's still not avoidance, and if it gives you 100% SHOTR reduction, it's still not avoidance. I don't keep up on twinking non max leveled characters so whats the deal with this, am I misunderstanding a term or is a term being abused by those who don't understand the 2 roll system?

  10. #10
    Bloodsail Admiral rawhammer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Solihull, UK
    Posts
    1,001
    Quote Originally Posted by MerinPally View Post
    Either people are using the wrong term or I'm misunderstanding. People keep going on about the "Avoidance cap" and then relate that to mastery. Sorry what? You know it's a 2 tier system now so for an Avoidance Cap your parry + dodge + 5 must be 102.4% for a boss level target.

    If 2492 mastery grants 100% block (which I don't think it does) that's still not avoidance, and if it gives you 100% SHOTR reduction, its still not avoidance. I don't keep up on twinking non max leveled characters so whats the deal with this, am I misunderstanding a term or is a term being abused by those who don't understand the 2 roll system?
    Second option imo.
    Though people interchanging the terms avoidance and mitigation has been happening for a number of expansions.
    MOBO: ASUS P6T SE ¦ CPU: I7 920 ¦ GPU: GTX 660 ¦ RAM: (3x4) 12GB 1600Mhz ¦ Storage: 128GB SSD & 500GB HDD

    http://www.wow-heroes.com/character/...n/rawhammered/

  11. #11
    Epic! GenaiTN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Brighton, East Sussex
    Posts
    1,688
    [QUOTE=rawhammer;19725933]
    Quote Originally Posted by Helai View Post
    What.

    Link please.[/QUOTE


    It's in general discussion thread.

    http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...gu-shan-Vaults

    Essentially the vengeance buff calculation is a bit Wacko Jacko at low lvls when taking damage from content above what blizzard expected you to be doing, giving you millions of AP. Apply sacred shield and gg. Quite funny really.

    Expect nerfs!
    What.
    The.
    Fuck.

  12. #12
    Moderator Malthanis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Not nearly out of the way enough
    Posts
    4,374
    Quote Originally Posted by Helai View Post
    What.
    The.
    Fuck.
    Wow, my sentiments exactly.

    The 'fix' to this shouldn't affect people at 90 doing end-game content, though (I hope).

  13. #13
    I am surprised to hear that vengeance affected another player - I thought Blizzard had disabled that. Have they only switched it off in BGs and arena, rather than every instance of targeting a player?

  14. #14
    theres a video of him getting feng down to 18% and its quite impressive. if hed timed his shield right it woulda been a kill.

    ---------- Post added 2013-01-07 at 01:59 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by econ21 View Post
    I am surprised to hear that vengeance affected another player - I thought Blizzard had disabled that. Have they only switched it off in BGs and arena, rather than every instance of targeting a player?
    the way i understand it is that other players cannot cause vengeance to stack. but if hes being hit by guards/faction bosses etc then he will have a vengeance stack which is a straight AP buff and effects any damage he does
    Have you ever stepped on a lego piece while barefoot?

    Can you recall that exquisitely piercing and utterly unforgettable pedal agony? Now imagine what would happen if you were to step on between 10 and 25 angry, well armed lego pieces which are all acting in brutal concert, and tell me how that would go for you.

    Plus they have magic and sharp objects.

  15. #15
    Epic! GenaiTN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Brighton, East Sussex
    Posts
    1,688
    Quote Originally Posted by Malthanis View Post
    Wow, my sentiments exactly.

    The 'fix' to this shouldn't affect people at 90 doing end-game content, though (I hope).
    He also got Feng down to 18%

    I am so twinking a Paladin.

  16. #16
    We have been considering for a long time me leveling a 80 prot paladin for progression purposes in heroic mode, insane on sha and empress, though did not really feel like exploiting so chose not to.
    Volun-told - A supposedly optional event, award, assignment, or activity in which a person (or persons) are required to attend either by persons-in-charge nominating them or their peers expecting them to be there. The individual often has no say in the matter, and non-attendance in frowned upon.

    I am so tired of seeing terrible people, being admired, for being terrible people.

  17. #17
    Epic! GenaiTN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Brighton, East Sussex
    Posts
    1,688
    Quote Originally Posted by Firefly33 View Post
    We have been considering for a long time me leveling a 80 prot paladin for progression purposes in heroic mode, insane on sha and empress, though did not really feel like exploiting so chose not to.
    It's not an exploit if Blizzard still haven't bothered to fix it - clever use of ingame mechanics

  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by Helai View Post
    It's not an exploit if Blizzard still haven't bothered to fix it - clever use of ingame mechanics
    You get higher vengeance levels then intended, there is not justification, it is an exploit, not clever use.

    The simple difference:

    Using a bug in the vengeance calculation script to get several thousand times higher vengeance levels than intended - Exploit
    Using cooldowns and standing in shit to increase your vengeance - Clever use of game mechanics

    Also GC have stated that it is not intended and will be fixed soon.
    Last edited by Firefly33; 2013-01-07 at 02:35 PM.
    Volun-told - A supposedly optional event, award, assignment, or activity in which a person (or persons) are required to attend either by persons-in-charge nominating them or their peers expecting them to be there. The individual often has no say in the matter, and non-attendance in frowned upon.

    I am so tired of seeing terrible people, being admired, for being terrible people.

  19. #19
    Should have probably opened on him with spells instead of attacks.

    The easiest way to break this exploit is to cap vengeance to X% of your health.

  20. #20
    Bloodsail Admiral rawhammer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Solihull, UK
    Posts
    1,001
    Quote Originally Posted by yurano View Post
    Should have probably opened on him with spells instead of attacks.

    The easiest way to break this exploit is to cap vengeance to X% of your health.
    http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...hanges-are-odd
    MOBO: ASUS P6T SE ¦ CPU: I7 920 ¦ GPU: GTX 660 ¦ RAM: (3x4) 12GB 1600Mhz ¦ Storage: 128GB SSD & 500GB HDD

    http://www.wow-heroes.com/character/...n/rawhammered/

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •