Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Sicarus View Post
    Why should I have to? This isn't war, I'm not a cop, I'm not a judge. The dude breaks into my house with bad intentions, he's lost his rights.
    So you will just murder him? Yes, its murder if there is an alternative to killing and you ignored it.

Quote Originally Posted by RICH1471 View Post
    So you will just murder him? Yes, its murder if there is an alternative to killing and you ignored it.
    crime of killing somebody:

the crime of killing another person deliberately and not in self-defense or with any other extenuating circumstance recognized by lawsomething difficult or unpleasant: something that is very difficult or unpleasant and involves great effort or hardship
    kill somebody illegally: to kill another person deliberately and not in self-defense or with any other extenuating circumstance recognized by law

No, it's not murder.

It's his death for his choice to attack me, by breaking into my home.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raybourne View Post
    I think I would save michal jordan's life. That guy was just such a great singer
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    I don't pay for food for anyone I'm not sleeping with and you shouldn't either.

Deleted
    crime of killing somebody:

the crime of killing another person deliberately and not in self-defense or with any other extenuating circumstance recognized by lawsomething difficult or unpleasant: something that is very difficult or unpleasant and involves great effort or hardship
    kill somebody illegally: to kill another person deliberately and not in self-defense or with any other extenuating circumstance recognized by law

No, it's not murder.

It's his death for his choice to attack me, by breaking into my home.
    Shooting first and not even trying to take him prisoner is the very definition of that, the rest of the civilised world agrees with me. It is only the USA that has such laws in the first world.

Shooting first and not even trying to take him prisoner is the very definition of that, the rest of the civilised world agrees with me. It is only the USA that has such laws in the first world.
    How is someone trying to rob you, and killing them, not self defense?

Why would you want to take a criminal-suspect, prisoner?

By the way, if you're going to pick apart a response, pick apart the whole thing.

the crime of killing another person deliberately and not in self-defense or with any other extenuating circumstance recognized by law
    Here in Texas, we have the Castle Doctrine, if someone uses unlawful force on you, your home, place of business, or vehicle (even if it's not at home), they are extensions of your "castle" (home) and you are lawful in using the force to suppress the threat, which would include, taking their life.
    I think I would save michal jordan's life. That guy was just such a great singer

Deleted

By the way, if you're going to pick apart a response, pick apart the whole thing.

Here in Texas, we have the Castle Doctrine, if someone uses unlawful force on you, your home, place of business, or vehicle (even if it's not at home), they are extensions of your "castle" (home) and you are lawful in using the force to suppress the threat, which would include, taking their life.
    Exactly this, thievery is not the same as trying to murder you. A human life is not worth your material possessions.

To answer your other question, I would take them prisoner so that I could hand them over until the police arrived.

10+ Year Old Account
    There must be something in the water, Colorado is ablaze with insanity these past few months.
    ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥ "In short, people are idiots who don't really understand anything." ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥
    [/url]
    ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥ ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥

Why should I have to? This isn't war, I'm not a cop, I'm not a judge. The dude breaks into my house with bad intentions, he's lost his rights.
    how do you know his intentions? even in court cases they have problems identifying the mens rea, how do you expect to divine his will instantly in a panic situation?

Deleted

Judging by your speech, you are excluding using any degree of suppressing force, except the lethal one, like if that was the only option the Castle Doctrine gives to you.
    Ultimately, in your logic, entry in private property = death of suspect.

how do you know his intentions? even in court cases they have problems identifying the mens rea, how do you expect to divine his will instantly in a panic situation?
    That's exactly it, I don't know his intentions, however, he's in my house illegally, he has a crowbar, so he's going to die with that crowbar.

Deleted
    That's exactly it, I don't know his intentions, however, he's in my house illegally, he has a crowbar, so he's going to die with that crowbar.
    Then be glad you live in Texas, in Europe you would be in prison for that act. What you are describing is just barbaric.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeverin View Post
    Judging by your speech, you are excluding using any degree of suppressing force, except the lethal one, like if that was the only option the Castle Doctrine gives to you.
    Ultimately, in your logic, entry in private property = death of suspect.
    :|

Let me use the "taken out of context" card.
    Because you literally just did.
    If I were to say, walk into someone's store, which is private, and obviously I didn't just fucking kick the door down or have a crowbar in my hand, obviously I wouldn't shoot that person.

And no, it's any force you deem necessary, if you want to pepper spray them, that's fine, if you want to forcibly shove their testicles back into their hips, you can do that, too.
    Key word being, UNLAWFUL.

There I made it big so you can't possibly take me out of context again.

---------- Post added 2013-01-06 at 08:54 PM ----------

Then be glad you live in Texas, in Europe you would be in prison for that act. What you are describing is just barbaric.
    Him breaking into my house is barbaric, why are you defending a criminals decision to break into my home?

I am glad I live in Texas, I'd never live anywhere else where I can't defend myself as I can.

Deleted
    :|

Let me use the "taken out of context" card.
    Because you literally just did.
    If I were to say, walk into someone's store, which is private, and obviously I didn't just fucking kick the door down or have a crowbar in my hand, obviously I wouldn't shoot that person.

And no, it's any force you deem necessary, if you want to pepper spray them, that's fine, if you want to forcibly shove their testicles back into their hips, you can do that, too.
    Key word being, UNLAWFUL.

There I made it big so you can't possibly take me out of context again.

---------- Post added 2013-01-06 at 08:54 PM ----------

Him breaking into my house is barbaric, why are you defending a criminals decision to break into my home?

I am glad I live in Texas, I'd never live anywhere else where I can't defend myself as I can.
    We can defend ourselves too, but we don't shoot first and ask no questions later.

We can defend ourselves too, but we don't shoot first and ask no questions later.
    Me: Excuse me kind sir, why've you broken into my home?

Them: Oh, I wouldn't possibly tell you, good sir.

Me: Why not?

Them: I'm a criminal, obviously you shouldn't know my intentions.

Me: Ah, quite right, carry on, I'll just finish watching this progra- ahp well you've stolen my T.V. and it appears I've been stabbed.

Deleted

Me: Ah, quite right, carry on, I'll just finish watching this progra- ahp well you've stolen my T.V. and it appears I've been stabbed.
    No, it would be me with a shotgun ordering him onto the ground. Police would then be called, criminal arrested and tea and medals all round. If he attacked me after a warning THEN I would shoot. Unlike you who shoots first like some cowboy.

No, it would be me with a shotgun ordering him onto the ground. Police would then be called, criminal arrested and tea and medals all round. If he attacked me after a warning THEN I would shoot. Unlike you who shoots first like some cowboy.
    Greedo didn't shoot first.

This is a Han Solo situation, if I see the threat in my house, I'm not taking a chance, it's going to be eliminated before they can harm me/my family.

This is entirely plausible in this case, the man went for them in the closet, do you think he was going to tell her that he was just going to grab a few bucks and walk out?

10+ Year Old Account

This line. This line sums up everything I find sickening in whatever you want to call it, American gun culture, whatever. I can't even being to describe how horrible a person you have to be to subscribe to this, which is why I will give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you arn't considering the far reaching implications of such a statement.
    Last edited by Xothic; 2013-01-07 at 03:17 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Asphyxes View Post
    Taco dinner, movie at my mancave then I'll surprise her with a TCG tabard and tell her I love her.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lazuli View Post
    my gf left me, should i Just go gay?
    Xothic - Prot Paladin

Quote Originally Posted by Xothic View Post
    This line. This line sums up everything I find sickening in whatever you want to call it, American gun culture, whatever. I can't even being to describe how horrible a person you have to be to subscribe to this, which is why I will give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you arn't considering the far reaching implications of such a statement.
    So if a criminal breaks into your home, you'd hold him prisoner.

How could the woman, hiding in her closet, hold the man with a crowbar, prisoner? If she hadn't shot, he'd've had the upper hand on her.

[/COLOR]

Here's a couple of examples:

The person who breaks into the house is mentally disabled. They are lost and scared and don't have the social skills to deal with the situation. They don't have the ability to empathize with the house owner or put themselves in their position, they don't know what they are doing is wrong.

The person has epilepsy or is diabetic. They are wandering around in a confused state, they can't think/don't know what's happening or where they are and may be aggressive towards others but otherwise not particularly dangerous.

In both of these scenarios you have just killed an innocent, sick person in need of help.

But hey, you still have your watch, right?

---------- Post added 2013-01-07 at 11:46 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Maleficus View Post
    One might argue that he abandoned his respect for the "sanctity of life" when he forced his way in and tracked them down to the closet they were hiding in.

Unless, of course, he was really looking for the pantry for that cup of sugar he needed for the creme brulee he was making. (No doubt for the neighborhood bake sale considering he was such an upstanding citizen.)

Wow, some people.
    So here are a couple of questions:

If Iran were to suddenly start executing people accused of breaking and entering, how would you react? Would you feel that it is a dire breach of Human Rights? Would you petition your government to do something to save these people?

What if the US govt were to do the same thing, no trial, just execute anyone caught in someone else's home without permission.

Because that is essentially what is happening here. There is no trial, no due process, no 'innocent until proven guilty', no judge, no jury of peers. You have one person, untrained in anything beyond aiming a gun, carrying out an execution order that they decided upon. A person who could be drunk, high, depressed, scared witless, or otherwise incapable of rational thought under pressure. That one irrational, flawed person is playing God, in some cases even saying God approved.

How is this right?

Let's take it one step further.

How would you feel if it wasn't a burglar, but a US soldier who was killed. He walked into a civilian's home in another country and got shot down. By your arguments, this too is fine. It doesn't matter if the soldier was there to help or not, he was on their property. He was a 'threat', he deserved to die.
    Last edited by Sarojini; 2013-01-07 at 03:35 AM.

This isn't war, I'm not a cop, I'm not a judge.
    Bolded for emphasis.

You are right, it's not.

Yet there you are, being your own cop, judge and executioner all in one go. See the problem?

10+ Year Old Account

You wouldn't mind if I borrowed that last part for a sig, would you?
    Men!

Quote Originally Posted by LilSaihah View Post
    I picked Biden because he may throw Obama into the Death Star's reactor core, restoring balance to the Force.

Now having a ball on SWTOR!