View Poll Results: What design for Kill Shot would you prefer?

Voters
232. This poll is closed
  • How it is now. Medium damage, free, cooldown, just another button.

48 20.69%
  • Execute-style. High damage, costly, no CD, dominates rotation sub-20.

104 44.83%
  • Neither of these. I'd prefer a different solution.

22 9.48%
  • I am a confused Paladin. Why am I here? How do I get to my forum? Help!

27 11.64%
  • I am Greg Street! I hereby ban you from game design forever.

31 13.36%
Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Hunter execute: What design would you prefer?

Having played Warrior quite a bit lately, I find myself missing the very powerful Execute. Kill Shot just doesn't deliver the same way by comparison, and I especially miss that shift into "EXECUTE MODE /RAWR" where it's time to obliterate something.

I like the idea of Kill Shot functioning like Execute:
    - costs Focus
    - hits like a truck driving a truck
    - sub-20%, dominates rotation and pushes other stuff out of priority

So you're motivated to pool Focus around Execute range and then launch into
    "KILL SHOT > KILL SHOT > KILL SHOT > KILL SHOT> DIE DIE DIE" mode,
    rather than
    "KILL SHOT! ... Kill Shot. ... OK then, anyway back to Arcane Shot."

Thoughts?

I like these polls. Especially the paladin options XD

And yeah I really miss going DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE during execute phase :< . Really gets you all pumped up when you smell a kill.

It would be kinda boring to KS Cobra KS Cobra though.... the only other options are to make it do whatever the theoretical total dps for our gear level is and give it no CD, which is boring, or to give it a CD, which is what we currently have.

I really want the 'reset when it hits target' gone though. That's just annoying and a solid loss of dps with my latency. Just make it hit twice as hard and get rid of the reset or decrease the cooldown and get rid of the reset or do both in varying proportions.
    Last edited by gulder; 2013-01-06 at 02:36 AM.

I very much desire Kill Shot to hit harder. It doesn't 'feel' like an execute at all, it just feels like another button that lights up. It's not finishing off the enemy, it's just adding GCDs to my rotation. Having it accompanied by a focus cost would make sense. More than Arcane Shot, less than a core ability, maybe, so 30 focus? Maybe 35?
    It should still have a cooldown, however, in my opinion. I would not want to end up just spamming Kill Shot and Cobra Shot at sub-20%. Having to be able to save up enough focus to do it twice in a row should be interesting enough.
    Last edited by Herecius; 2013-01-06 at 02:38 AM.

Deleted
    I'd rather have a kill shot between your 2 choices.

3) High damage, costly, 2 per 10 sec, and maybe refresh SrS

10+ Year Old Account
    Current design is fine. Not everyone needs to have an OMGWTFDAMAGE execute.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moounter View Post
    I think your problem is a lack of intellect.

I want to have more fun on garalon! If a warrior spams execute on H garalon at the end they top the meters. I want to do that lol.

Signature by Geekissexy Check out her Deviantart

I wanna barrage my killshots like some machine gun of death LOL

I think being able to spam kill shot and cobra would make my life so much easier

Deleted
    Warrior's Execute is very impractical most of the time. We in my previous guild had to swap our Warrior out at the start of Mogushan Vaults on Feng because the first phase was taking too long. We were all under geared and so were our healers, those one or two extra epicentres really hurt. After swapping him out we instantly saw major improvements and got him down.

To answer your poll's question, no I don't want an execute like a Warrior's Execute. I'd rather see Kill Shot's damage doubled and not resetting the cool down if it doesn't kill it's target. Not because I want to see high numbers, but because spamming it twice in a row every 10 seconds is a little clunky.

Deleted
    Yeah they should just not have it reset the cd and do more damage. It feel clunky to use. Also I dislike playing warrior simply because it feels the only part of the fight that matters is sub 20%.

Deleted
    I would love a "Time to die!" Kill shot. I enjoy using finisher abilities, so this would make it even better

10+ Year Old Account
    I understand the basic concern that as the Execute phase inflates, the risk of being throttled pre-execute increases. I'm not sure what the right compromise is for that, unless you just take the multi-dotting approach: "Oh well, this class just wins sometimes". But I guess that's not fair to everyone else. Then again, multi-dotting remains untouched and the banshees wailed when they tried to throttle it in Beta, so :p

At the same time, remember that Executes aren't available at all pre-20. So if it subs out large parts of the pre-20 rotation once you hit sub-20, it doesn't have to be obscenely higher numbers — it can just be an appreciable jump. Meaning that the DPS difference between pre-20 and sub-20 doesn't have to be extreme, so you don't have to be punished by design just for having a satisfying Execute. Put another way, it can feel OP without actually being OP if designed right. And I think that's a very fun place for a rotation to end up.

At the very least I can agree with everyone saying the "2 in a row" thing is really annoying. Especially when it doesn't actually reset. Or takes >1 GCD to wake up and do it. But those are longstanding gripes with the ability I think everyone more-or-less agrees with. :p

Quote Originally Posted by Herecius View Post
    It should still have a cooldown, however, in my opinion. I would not want to end up just spamming Kill Shot and Cobra Shot at sub-20%. Having to be able to save up enough focus to do it twice in a row should be interesting enough.
    It's all in how they design the numbers. I'm a fan of no-cooldown, resource-driven stuff because of how my mind works. I prefer to fluidly bank and spend as the situation dictates. But with the right tweaking and Focus cost, KShot could be a satisfying button while still being subordinate to a few other core abilities sub-20.
    Last edited by Lovestar; 2013-01-06 at 09:13 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Fine with it the way it is. If they made it like Execute then you'd have a class with an ability to fire an execute off from 30+ yards with an ability to snare from the same distance.

I.E. this ability would be nerfed.
    Quote Originally Posted by melodramocracy View Post
    Gold and the 'need' for it in-game is easily one of the most overblown mindsets in this community.

The Lightbringer
    15+ Year Old Account
    i'd double the damage with CD reset if it kills the target, not if it fails to kill (maybe with SrS refresh, so i won't rage when SrS is expiring and i'm focus-capped)

Deleted
    I want to original version, one shot, high damage, no cost, long cd

One thing I really don't like about Kill Shot is that it makes hunters even more bloated and GCD capped. Having 2 more GCDs to fit in can be a pain, especially because a lot of the time I'm also popping my 2nd Readiness during execute and going through all of those CDs as well.

So at the very least, I'd rather see it go to one harder hitting shot. Or be on a 6 second CD and replace ES/KC in the rotation or something like that. But I'd agree with other posters here: I'm fine with the damage output because I don't want to see the rest of our damage nerfed. Playing those classes and seeing your meters jump in the last 20 seconds can be great, but it can also suck to have so much of your DPS dependent on it.

Deleted
    With how mop plays now I'd rather just have KS gone. It's just another stupid button that does no damage but we have to push it to be competitive. I'm getting tired of getting tired in raids. We have the apm of melee classes but also need to do movement of ranged classes.

A high cost, high hitting and no cd kill shot is impossible btw. We lose focus from dps, warrior gain rage from dps. So it will never play like a warrior unless it's cheap enough to follow natural focus regen.

There are 3 'good' solutions for KS
    - Make it do double damage as now and remove the stupid cd reset mechanic that doesn't work
    - Make the cd 5sec and remove the stupid cd reset mechanic that doesn't work
    - Fix broken reset mechanic so that it resets when shot, not when it hits

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by StijnDP View Post
    A high cost, high hitting and no cd kill shot is impossible btw. We lose focus from dps, warrior gain rage from dps. So it will never play like a warrior unless it's cheap enough to follow natural focus regen.
    Not sure what you mean by this. Warrior DPS cycles are intentionally Rage-negative with some RNG based on stance, a single Rage builder which isn't enough to sustain DPS on its own, and a few modest CDs for getting minor Rage injections. Hunters also "gain rage from DPS" by casting Cobra Shot, it's just not very good DPS... same as pressing only Bloodthirst. :p

What Hunter might envy, though, is the ability to switch to Aspect of the Salamander and go stand in fire to deliberately cause infinite Focus until your healers get fed up, OOM, or Titan Gas dissolves.

10+ Year Old Account
    2 kill shot not enough now days

Epic!
    15+ Year Old Account
    The only change I'd like to see to Kill Shot is the elimination of the cooldown reset mechanic after the target survives the first hit. Boost the damage accordingly and/or adjust the cooldown on it. It's a clunky mechanic that's a vestige from the days of Prime Glyphs. Instead of making the old glyph baseline, they should have scrapped it and retuned the base ability.

10+ Year Old Account
    Wrath style Kill Shot. That was awesome.