Page 1 of 10
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Should Presidential Term Limits be Removed?

http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/bdquer...s/d113HR.lst::
    H.J.Res. 15: Proposing an amendment to the Constitution of the United States to repeal the twenty-second article of amendment, ...

...of amendment, thereby removing the limitation on the number of terms an individual may serve as President.

Introduced:
    Jan 04, 2013 (113th Congress, 2013–2015)
    Sponsor:
    Rep. José Serrano [D-NY15]
    Referred to Committee
    http://www.examiner.com/article/pres...es-term-limits

If this gets past Congress, I don't imagine a majorly Democratic Senate would block this. I don't even know what to say.

10+ Year Old Account
    No. The US has enough trouble with no term limits for congressmen.

Not a big fan of term limits tbh. I seriously doubt a president would get more than 2 terms for a long time anyway.

Deleted
    Don't think it's a good idea. Just look at the Icelandic president, he's been in the office since 1996.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Not a big fan of term limits tbh. I seriously doubt a president would get more than 2 terms for a long time anyway.
    I would imagine that Clinton could have, either in 2000 or 2004.

Quote Originally Posted by Kasierith View Post
    I would imagine that Clinton could have, either in 2000 or 2004.
    But if he does a good job and the majority of the electorate wants him in office still then why not?

Before we worry about term-limits why don't we address the two-party system?

When the two-party system, namely the Republicans and Democrats, willingly open up the elections to other parties, I will consider other options such as limit-removal. As it stands, with current law, most states won't let you vote in the primaries if you are anything other than Repub or Dem. Until such time as REAL options are made available I will not, and can not, agree to the idea of letting one of two corrupt parties have unlimited chances to screw the country up.

10+ Year Old Account
    Its not really a good idea. Very few presidents have been outstanding enough to deserve more than 2 through the past 200+ years, and I imagine that will continue. Plus the country needs new blood, new ideas, ect injected into it, although with politics being what it is today that probably wouldnt happen.

Also, i reaaaally dont want to turn into Russia, where Putin and his lackey just trade off political posts every other election.

10+ Year Old Account
    But if he does a good job and the majority of the electorate wants him in office still then why not?
    Because it would shift the focus away from work and towards reelection. Second terms are typically the periods in office where presidents are free to really vocalize their ideals, to push for change and shake the pot. Look at Clinton, or Lincoln... their second terms were marked by no longer having to appeal to things such as special interest groups. It is, in fact, the same reason why I am for term limits for congressman, because ultimately a lack of term limits makes a politician always keep one eye on the horizen.

Quote Originally Posted by Twotonsteak View Post
    Before we worry about term-limits why don't we address the two-party system?

When the two-party system, namely the Republicans and Democrats, willingly open up the elections to other parties, I will consider other options such as limit-removal. As it stands, with current law, most states won't let you vote in the primaries if you are anything other than Repub or Dem. Until such time as REAL options are made available I will not, and can not, agree to the idea of letting one of two corrupt parties have unlimited chances to screw the country up.
    I don't see what the two party system has to do with term limits.

Because it would shift the focus away from work and towards reelection.
    Campaign finance is what causes politicians to be constantly running for election. All term limits do is tell the electorate that they can't vote for the person they really like.

I don't see the point in them tbh. If someone's done a good enough job to be elected a 4th time in a row, why not just let them stay on? It would probably be better for the country.

Though it's not like anyone actually gets re-elected that many times anyway... I can't think of a single democratic country where it's ever happened (within my lifetime).

No a thousand times over. You remove term limits and we become a potential monarchy in the United States. On top of that, the last thing this country needs is even the possibility of a 3rd term under Barack Obama.
    Quote Originally Posted by danielu100 View Post
    gharld fu cked name,all my friends are playing on this patch and its going fine,u fu cking ugly kid go comment ur mother face not here, morron shit.
    50% nerdrage, 50% wut? o.O

The US should remove the requirement that the president be born in the US. It's like a big "F U !!!!" to immigrant children.
    Keep The Beats!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bloodrose View Post
    No a thousand times over. You remove term limits and we become a potential monarchy in the United States. On top of that, the last thing this country needs is even the possibility of a 3rd term under Barack Obama.
    or Bush jr.

Although a 3rd Eisenhower might not have turned out too badly, and if Vietnam hadnt crushed Johnsons political viability, he might have pretty good too.

Quote Originally Posted by TheImmortalLordAtlas View Post
    The US should remove the requirement that the president be born in the US. It's like a big "F U !!!!" to immigrant children.
    They should do this. If they reduced terms to 3 years, then it would be okay to increase the limit to 3 terms. The world changes at a pace remarkably faster than it did 200 years ago.

10+ Year Old Account
    Disagree with this. Children of immagrents who are born in the US can become presidents already. I know that immigrants can be just as American as those born here, but somehow it doesnt quite feel the same if the President wasnt.

Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    Disagree with this. Children of immagrents who are born in the US can become presidents already. I know that immigrants can be just as American as those born here, but somehow it doesnt quite feel the same if the President wasnt.
    It makes no sense to exclude children who are born elsewhere but spend practically their entire lives in America.
    Keep The Beats!

A thousand times to no to this. No other country in the world would want someone from another country running theirs. I guarantee it.
    Quote Originally Posted by danielu100 View Post
    gharld fu cked name,all my friends are playing on this patch and its going fine,u fu cking ugly kid go comment ur mother face not here, morron shit.
    50% nerdrage, 50% wut? o.O

extended, maybe.. removed? nah. opens the door for too much cronyism imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Bloodrose View Post
    A thousand times to no to this. No other country in the world would want someone from another country running theirs. I guarantee it.
    Then they just wouldn't be elected and you wouldn't need that rule anyway...
    Keep The Beats!