Page 1 of 10
1
2
3
... LastLast
  1. #1
    Pandaren Monk Mukki's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    ANC! ANC! ANC!
    Posts
    1,912

    Should Presidential Term Limits be Removed?

    http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/bdquer...s/d113HR.lst::
    H.J.Res. 15: Proposing an amendment to the Constitution of the United States to repeal the twenty-second article of amendment, ...


    ...of amendment, thereby removing the limitation on the number of terms an individual may serve as President.

    Introduced:
    Jan 04, 2013 (113th Congress, 2013–2015)
    Sponsor:
    Rep. José Serrano [D-NY15]
    Status:
    Referred to Committee
    http://www.examiner.com/article/pres...es-term-limits

    If this gets past Congress, I don't imagine a majorly Democratic Senate would block this. I don't even know what to say.

  2. #2
    Moderator Kasierith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    St Petersburg
    Posts
    10,822
    No. The US has enough trouble with no term limits for congressmen.
    “…the whole trouble lies here. In words, words. Each one of us has within him a whole world of things, each man of us his own special world. And how can we ever come to an understanding if I put in the words I utter the sense and value of things as I see them; while you who listen to me must inevitably translate them according to the conception of things each one of you has within himself. We think we understand each other, but we never really do.”

  3. #3
    Not a big fan of term limits tbh. I seriously doubt a president would get more than 2 terms for a long time anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    Everyone is pro-US. They just don't know it yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fyre View Post
    Internet lives in the sky, don't need no cables for that.
    A nice list of logical fallacies. In picture form!

  4. #4
    Don't think it's a good idea. Just look at the Icelandic president, he's been in the office since 1996.
    I'm a European federalist. Now you know.


  5. #5
    Moderator Kasierith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    St Petersburg
    Posts
    10,822
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Not a big fan of term limits tbh. I seriously doubt a president would get more than 2 terms for a long time anyway.
    I would imagine that Clinton could have, either in 2000 or 2004.
    “…the whole trouble lies here. In words, words. Each one of us has within him a whole world of things, each man of us his own special world. And how can we ever come to an understanding if I put in the words I utter the sense and value of things as I see them; while you who listen to me must inevitably translate them according to the conception of things each one of you has within himself. We think we understand each other, but we never really do.”

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasierith View Post
    I would imagine that Clinton could have, either in 2000 or 2004.
    But if he does a good job and the majority of the electorate wants him in office still then why not?
    Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    Everyone is pro-US. They just don't know it yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fyre View Post
    Internet lives in the sky, don't need no cables for that.
    A nice list of logical fallacies. In picture form!

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Not a big fan of term limits tbh. I seriously doubt a president would get more than 2 terms for a long time anyway.
    Before we worry about term-limits why don't we address the two-party system?

    When the two-party system, namely the Republicans and Democrats, willingly open up the elections to other parties, I will consider other options such as limit-removal. As it stands, with current law, most states won't let you vote in the primaries if you are anything other than Repub or Dem. Until such time as REAL options are made available I will not, and can not, agree to the idea of letting one of two corrupt parties have unlimited chances to screw the country up.

  8. #8
    Its not really a good idea. Very few presidents have been outstanding enough to deserve more than 2 through the past 200+ years, and I imagine that will continue. Plus the country needs new blood, new ideas, ect injected into it, although with politics being what it is today that probably wouldnt happen.

    Also, i reaaaally dont want to turn into Russia, where Putin and his lackey just trade off political posts every other election.

  9. #9
    Moderator Kasierith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    St Petersburg
    Posts
    10,822
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    But if he does a good job and the majority of the electorate wants him in office still then why not?
    Because it would shift the focus away from work and towards reelection. Second terms are typically the periods in office where presidents are free to really vocalize their ideals, to push for change and shake the pot. Look at Clinton, or Lincoln... their second terms were marked by no longer having to appeal to things such as special interest groups. It is, in fact, the same reason why I am for term limits for congressman, because ultimately a lack of term limits makes a politician always keep one eye on the horizen.
    “…the whole trouble lies here. In words, words. Each one of us has within him a whole world of things, each man of us his own special world. And how can we ever come to an understanding if I put in the words I utter the sense and value of things as I see them; while you who listen to me must inevitably translate them according to the conception of things each one of you has within himself. We think we understand each other, but we never really do.”

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Twotonsteak View Post
    Before we worry about term-limits why don't we address the two-party system?

    When the two-party system, namely the Republicans and Democrats, willingly open up the elections to other parties, I will consider other options such as limit-removal. As it stands, with current law, most states won't let you vote in the primaries if you are anything other than Repub or Dem. Until such time as REAL options are made available I will not, and can not, agree to the idea of letting one of two corrupt parties have unlimited chances to screw the country up.
    I don't see what the two party system has to do with term limits.

    Because it would shift the focus away from work and towards reelection.
    Campaign finance is what causes politicians to be constantly running for election. All term limits do is tell the electorate that they can't vote for the person they really like.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    Everyone is pro-US. They just don't know it yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fyre View Post
    Internet lives in the sky, don't need no cables for that.
    A nice list of logical fallacies. In picture form!

  11. #11
    I don't see the point in them tbh. If someone's done a good enough job to be elected a 4th time in a row, why not just let them stay on? It would probably be better for the country.

    Though it's not like anyone actually gets re-elected that many times anyway... I can't think of a single democratic country where it's ever happened (within my lifetime).

  12. #12
    No a thousand times over. You remove term limits and we become a potential monarchy in the United States. On top of that, the last thing this country needs is even the possibility of a 3rd term under Barack Obama.
    Quote Originally Posted by danielu100 View Post
    gharld fu cked name,all my friends are playing on this patch and its going fine,u fu cking ugly kid go comment ur mother face not here, morron shit.
    50% nerdrage, 50% wut? o.O

  13. #13
    The US should remove the requirement that the president be born in the US. It's like a big "F U !!!!" to immigrant children.
    Keep The Beats!

  14. #14
    Warchief Hastings's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Laniakea Supercluster, Milky Way Galaxy, Solar System, Earth
    Posts
    2,193
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    I don't see what the two party system has to do with term limits.


    Campaign finance is what causes politicians to be constantly running for election. All term limits do is tell the electorate that they can't vote for the person they really like.
    If anything the whole method of campaigning and the way it's financed needs to be redone in my opinion.

    My thoughts, I think if the electorate wants to re-elect a president who has already served two terms, then the electorate should be able to do so, so I'm in favour of this bill.
    "Then we have found, as it seems, that the many beliefs of the many about what's fair and about the other things roll around somewhere between not-being and being purely and simply." - Plato: Republic

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by Bloodrose View Post
    No a thousand times over. You remove term limits and we become a potential monarchy in the United States. On top of that, the last thing this country needs is even the possibility of a 3rd term under Barack Obama.
    or Bush jr.

    Although a 3rd Eisenhower might not have turned out too badly, and if Vietnam hadnt crushed Johnsons political viability, he might have pretty good too.

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by TheImmortalLordAtlas View Post
    The US should remove the requirement that the president be born in the US. It's like a big "F U !!!!" to immigrant children.
    They should do this. If they reduced terms to 3 years, then it would be okay to increase the limit to 3 terms. The world changes at a pace remarkably faster than it did 200 years ago.

  17. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by TheImmortalLordAtlas View Post
    The US should remove the requirement that the president be born in the US. It's like a big "F U !!!!" to immigrant children.
    Disagree with this. Children of immagrents who are born in the US can become presidents already. I know that immigrants can be just as American as those born here, but somehow it doesnt quite feel the same if the President wasnt.

  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    Disagree with this. Children of immagrents who are born in the US can become presidents already. I know that immigrants can be just as American as those born here, but somehow it doesnt quite feel the same if the President wasnt.
    It makes no sense to exclude children who are born elsewhere but spend practically their entire lives in America.
    Keep The Beats!

  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by TheImmortalLordAtlas View Post
    The US should remove the requirement that the president be born in the US. It's like a big "F U !!!!" to immigrant children.
    A thousand times to no to this. No other country in the world would want someone from another country running theirs. I guarantee it.
    Quote Originally Posted by danielu100 View Post
    gharld fu cked name,all my friends are playing on this patch and its going fine,u fu cking ugly kid go comment ur mother face not here, morron shit.
    50% nerdrage, 50% wut? o.O

  20. #20
    Legendary! darenyon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Cho'gall (US)
    Posts
    6,049
    extended, maybe.. removed? nah. opens the door for too much cronyism imo.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •