Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    We try. Getting closer, but too many people vote for him because he doesnt have a D next to his name rather than the issues he stands for. Just wished our state would pass one of those term limit laws >.>
    I can understand why folks would vote for someone that didn't have a D behind their name.. I wouldnt' have voted for Bill White if he was running unopposed.. Sorry... run someone that folks can vote FOR, and you'll have better luck unseating your current Governor.

--- Want any of my Constitutional rights?, ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    I come from a time and a place where I judge people by the content of their character; I don't give a damn if you are tall or short; gay or straight; Jew or Gentile; White, Black, Brown or Green; Conservative or Liberal. -- Note to mods: if you are going to infract me have the decency to post the reason, and expect to hold everyone else to the same standard.

I don't think an official limit was ever necessary. No president went more than 2 terms until FDR, and few would argue that another president could have done a better job than FDR during those years.

I would support the limit being removed. All it does is lead to a great president being followed by a not-so-great president (see: Bush Sr. following Reagan after his 2 terms, Bush Jr. following Clinton after his 2 terms).

Quote Originally Posted by SodiumChloride View Post
    There are benefits to letting the current president hold his/her job for as long as the electorate what them to.

For one, there is experience. Instead of every 4-8 years you get a complete noob on the job, you have a seasoned veteran who knows the ropes and know where the pitfalls are, after 8 years he/she might actually have a good idea what they are doing, and is less likely to get manipulated by "shadow shoguns" and lobbyists who beat them in experience.
    True you have to balance efficiency with freshness. I think 8 years for the president is a good compromise. 4 terms for the legislative branch is probably what I would choose. They have a lot of stupid rules that probably take a while to learn and probably should be removed since it seems their purpose is to entrench long term politicians anyway.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Seran View Post
    I can understand why folks would vote for someone that didn't have a D behind their name.. I wouldnt' have voted for Bill White if he was running unopposed.. Sorry... run someone that folks can vote FOR, and you'll have better luck unseating your current Governor.
    My primary issue with it is they arnt looking at the issues with Perry, and instead blindly following party politics. If you honestly believe in what Perry does and stands for, then good, vote for him. When you're voting for him because thats what your party tells you to do is where i have a problem. Honestly I wish Perry had lost to hutchenson in the primaries. I thought she would have done a better job.

Kinda sucks being an independant at times

Quote Originally Posted by solvexx View Post
    Lol stop back peddling.
    The fact is is that Australia is doing great without all these rules that America has.
    Commander and chief.. Jeez that's a bit rough.
    Our prime minister is also in charge of our military in times of war and she's from wales.
    Is it because of a few different limits on who can run for office though? Probably not. More likely its due to less corporate corruption or more rules on money in politics if you have them. The only advantage to allowing more people to be president would be more talented people available. If we cant find 1 good person to be president in 300 million(probably less natural born, maybe 250 million) we have a problem.

no. end of statement.

Quote Originally Posted by PizzaSHARK View Post
    Not unless we get another, like, Abraham Lincoln or Teddy Roosevelt.
    ...you do realize it was half of America hating Abraham Lincoln's policies and decisions that STARTED the Civil War, right?

No, but congressional term limits should be put in place.
    Anyone else think Jaime Lannister only has the Kingslayer title because he was just too lazy to kill the king on heroic mode?

No. If any thing they need to be taken down to one term so that way they can focus on what they need to do and not trying to run for Prisident again.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mvallas View Post
    ...you do realize it was half of America hating Abraham Lincoln's policies and decisions that STARTED the Civil War, right?
    More like the top firebreathers twisting everything he ever said and feeding it to the masses. The border states werent so extreme. Also, he was a CONSTITUTIONALLY ELECTED President.

In essence, it was all one big temper tantrum by the political elites on one side, and trolling on the other (Abolitionists) side

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    Also, he was a CONSTITUTIONALLY ELECTED President.
    ....So was every other president.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Prokne View Post
    Is it because of a few different limits on who can run for office though? Probably not. More likely its due to less corporate corruption or more rules on money in politics if you have them. The only advantage to allowing more people to be president would be more talented people available. If we cant find 1 good person to be president in 300 million(probably less natural born, maybe 250 million) we have a problem.
    there isn't an absence of folks talented or qualfied to be president, there are plenty of them, however, none of them would ever get elected if they even tried to run. Presidential politics is a blood sport the ones that are best at running FOR the office suck ass when they get there... and those that would be stellar IN the office, cant even get the public attention needed to RUN or WIN.

And truth is, anyone smart enough and capable enough to BE president is smart enough NOT to run.

I come from a time and a place where I judge people by the content of their character; I don't give a damn if you are tall or short; gay or straight; Jew or Gentile; White, Black, Brown or Green; Conservative or Liberal. -- Note to mods: if you are going to infract me have the decency to post the reason, and expect to hold everyone else to the same standard.

Way under half actually. 21 million people lived in the north, and only 9 million people lived in the southern states, and 3 million of those 9 million were slaves. The population imbalance was one of the main reasons the Souths cause was doomed from the south, they simply couldn't muster more soldiers than the north could.
    This means the Civil war started because literally only a quarter of America (remember a third of the south's population was slaves) disagreed with Lincoln. Also, States were already starting to seceded before he was even elected.

there isn't an absence of folks talented or qualfied to be president, there are plenty of them, however, none of them would ever get elected if they even tried to run. Presidential politics is a blood sport the ones that are best at running FOR the office suck ass when they get there... and those that would be stellar IN the office, cant even get the public attention needed to RUN or WIN.

And truth is, anyone smart enough and capable enough to BE president is smart enough NOT to run.
    Teddy Roosevelt, FDR, Lincoln, Kennedy, Grover Cleveland. 5 Smart and capable presidents. Imho, there should be a 2-3 term limit on congress. Being a politician wasn't supposed to be a career, it was supposed to be a civic duty. It's the same way it was with the Greek Senate, which is what our Congress was modeled after. (I mean, we even have an entire HOUSE called the Senate.)

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes, I'm aware of that. I'm also aware that Lincoln's decisions were the correct ones. Being President does not mean you try to please everyone, it means you do what's best for the country. Sometimes that means making a hard decision.
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/PizzaSHARK
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Cailan Ebonheart View Post
    I also do landscaping on weekends with some mexican kid that I "hired". He's real good because he's 100% obedient to me and does everything I say while never complaining. He knows that I am the man in the relationship and is completely submissive towards me as he should be.
    Quote Originally Posted by SUH View Post
    Crissi the goddess of MMO, if i may. ./bow

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ColbaneX View Post
    Teddy Roosevelt, FDR, Lincoln, Kennedy, Grover Cleveland. 5 Smart and capable presidents. Imho, there should be a 2-3 term limit on congress. Being a politician wasn't supposed to be a career, it was supposed to be a civic duty. It's the same way it was with the Greek Senate, which is what our Congress was modeled after. (I mean, we even have an entire HOUSE called the Senate.)
    I am refering to the CURRENT state of politics in the US. I revere the contributions of Teddy, Lincoln and Kennedy and a few others. However, sadly, the vast majority of our presidents have been lackluster at best (my opinion), and we've not had one in the last 20 years that I'd even have considered re-electing, let alone supporting letting them have a 3rd or 4th term.

I am refering to the CURRENT state of politics in the US. I revere the contributions of Teddy, Lincoln and Kennedy and a few others. However, sadly, the vast majority of our presidents have been lackluster at best (my opinion), and we've not had one in the last 20 years that I'd even have considered re-electing, let alone supporting letting them have a 3rd or 4th term.
    2 words.
    Bill....
    Clinton...

10+ Year Old Account
    Clinton? Granted I was a youngster at the time so I wasn't paying close attention, but from what I remember and what I've read, he did a pretty good job right up until we impeached him for getting a little action.

I wonder if we would've impeached Kennedy, dude slept with other women as often as he slept with his wife.
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/PizzaSHARK
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Cailan Ebonheart View Post
    I also do landscaping on weekends with some mexican kid that I "hired". He's real good because he's 100% obedient to me and does everything I say while never complaining. He knows that I am the man in the relationship and is completely submissive towards me as he should be.
    Quote Originally Posted by SUH View Post
    Crissi the goddess of MMO, if i may. ./bow

Quote Originally Posted by ColbaneX View Post
    The Senate is Roman and it was a group of aristocrats that were life members after holding certain offices. They had limits on who could be elected to offices based on previously held offices for experience and originally had limits on the frequency of holding the office of consul. There were still some men who were consul for several consecutive terms though and laws were mostly traditional and could be changed pretty quickly.

In Athens where there was democracy for almost 100 years every citizen was a member of the assembly for his whole life. They held administrative offices normally for only 1 term(they liked to spread around the responsibility) and it was usual for anyone that was perceived as becoming too politically powerful to be ostracized and exiled for several years by competing citizens.

The US legislature isnt really modeled after the Roman senate just named after it. Laws were presented to the assemblies of Roman citizens for voting and the politicians only proposed them and dealt with diplomacy and finance. Congress resembles the British Parliament with upper and lower houses more than classical governments.

Although I'm not American myself I have to say it makes no sense to restrict someone from being president if they have already been in for two terms.
    If they can do their job as president and people like what he or she does why should they be incapable of running for a third term or as many terms as the people want?