Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    10+ Year Old Account
    Kicking animals, tearing their wings apart by hand, destroying property and more animal cruelty?

I have nothing against hunting for food or fun but if you want to do it the very least thing you can do is to ensure that your prey doesn't suffer and to ensure that you pick it up.

---------- Post added 2013-01-07 at 05:48 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Knuckle View Post
    Another PA resident here and I've never heard of this either.

I don't see the big deal, animals are dying in the wild constantly. Pigeons are everywhere, killing some to prevent them from pooping on peoples cars is worth it to me.
    The way they're doing it is what is wrong NOT the fact that they're killing them.

Quote Originally Posted by Twotonsteak View Post
    A little note about these "horrible" shoots. The most famous, the Hegins Pigeon Shoot, started in 1934 and ended after the 1998 event. It was used as a means of fund-raising for the town of Hegins. The money funded everything from the local fire department to food and supplies for the poor and needy. It was the largest fund-raiser the town had. However animal-rights groups won in court and had the event shut down.

To date none of those animal-rights groups have offered to help the town of Higens, its volunteer fire company, or the poor there-in.
    Let me shed a tear for the inhabitants of a town that is so lacking in talent and hardworking people that the only way they can get money is through abusing and destroying other life forms.

Why should the pigeons suffer because some of some human trash that can't get their shit together.

Quote Originally Posted by Roose View Post
    I am convinced that hunting is an outlet for some sociopaths. Which I am not sure is a good or bad thing. I would definitely prefer these people getting their jollies off killing pigeons rather than little kids.

Not saying all hunters are sociopaths. It takes a special person to want to bash a birds head in on the sole of their boot like that one guy. Those are the ones that I am worried about having access to semi-automatic weapons.
    By your logic anything can be an outlet for sociopaths if used in the right context.

Quote Originally Posted by KunkkaTheAdmiral View Post
    Hunting for food, im okay with that, but for fun ? Even if its a pidgeon. I could understand if they are a threat to people, what happens fairly often in big cities, if the pidgeon population is way bigger then it should be.

Otherwise you should not shoot animals for fun.
    You should not hunt wild pigeons for food because they can carry many contaminations. Would you do that with rats?

and a little off-topic but this:

Quote Originally Posted by glo View Post
    People aren't endangered either.

Killing random living creatures for no reason whatsoever other than to kill something is still off and slightly disturbing. Hunting for food is another matter.
    This is pretty much my stance as well.

I think that shooting birds is disgusting, but using copters to shoot videos of people without their permission is even more disgusting.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by traen View Post
    I think that shooting birds is disgusting, but using copters to shoot videos of people without their permission is even more disgusting.
    If a copter is spying on me and I am not doing anything wrong then that is a problem since they are just stalking me. However that isn't the case here, these guys are sick people killing for fun as such in my mind it is acceptable. If you have nothing to hide then you won't fear being caught on camera :P

10+ Year Old Account
    The Avian Resistance is planning a counterattack.

"One Percenters"

My god, STOP USING THAT WORD. OCW is over, nothing but a bunch of retards wanting free cash for their womens study degree.

Quote Originally Posted by N-7 View Post
    Kicking animals, tearing their wings apart by hand, destroying property and more animal cruelty?

I have nothing against hunting for food or fun but if you want to do it the very least thing you can do is to ensure that your prey doesn't suffer and to ensure that you pick it up.

---------- Post added 2013-01-07 at 05:48 PM ----------

The way they're doing it is what is wrong NOT the fact that they're killing them.
    Hey, we agree on something =)

I have no issue with shooting them as a pest, raising them for sport seems like it would likely create more pests that could get loose and is counter productive... using live animals to vent frustrations is rather worrying to me, torturing animals is quite often an early stage of development for serial killers. Obviously everyone who is cruel to animals doesn't become one or we would have thousands of new serial killers each year but it still bothers me.
    I hunt but its always for two reasons: to keep the population of my prey in check since we killed most of their natural predators and for meat.

If you shoot an animal, do your best to make it clean and painless, it makes the meat taste better since there isn't as much adrenaline pumping through their system and you wont have to spend as much time trying to find them after they run.
    Proud member of the zero infraction club (lets see how long this can last =)

Deleted
    Hunting for fun is not my style. I'm a animal person so I think this is wrong.