Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Exclamation What it Takes to be Great...

Has anyone ever thought to themselves what it takes to solve a truly great problem of humanity? Sometimes I think to myself that I am going to be this great scientist and solve some grand problem, or maybe even a few problems. However, then I look at people from the past such as famous scientists, artists, poets, and musicians, and what I see scares me. Most of them gave a large portion of their lives to solve a problem, and sacrificed everything. Many isolated themselves so much on the problems they were trying to solve that they had zero friends, and completely gave up the possibility of having a wife and kids. Some even crossed the line to insanity, madness, and death in order to solve a problem, and even if they survived they were forever changed for better or worse.

Would it all be worth it? Or is simply having a wife and kids better?
    Last edited by sandmoth12; 2013-01-06 at 08:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by sandmoth12 View Post
    So what is the correct path a person should strive for? Which path is more noble? Would it all be worth it?
    To be happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Prokne View Post
    To be happy.
    What if an individual forgoes his own happiness for the greater cause of making much more people happy?

Well if you really think about it, we do not really remember the more important people. For example do you know off the top of your head who invented the polio vaccine? Antibiotics? Some of the most important things to life were invented by people the average person has never heard of. On the other hand, I bet a rather large portion of the population can tell you who invented Facebook. I'm sure an alarming chunk of the US could tell you the cast of Jersey Shore without even thinking about it or tell you which singer is from which season of American Idol.

To go down in history these days you have to do something that really changes the world and how we do things, for good or for bad. I am also almost obsessed with being remembered. I have thought a lot about what I could do to make history remember me but odds are that won't happen.

Lets be honest with ourselves, the shooter was probably mocked and bullied a long time before he got the urge for homicidal rage. It was the cruelness of society that created a monster like Adam Lanza. They suffered the vengeance of their own creation, and now I should feel sorry for them?

Gun laws are not going to change anything, and I personally don't care how many children have to perish until people realize it's not a good idea to bully and poke fun at someone for being different.

Hey society and bad parents...you reap what you sow!
    With gems like this I'm sure you'll do wonders for humanity.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aurust View Post
    I visualized playing it in my head and it was bad.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nathane View Post
    I mean you have all the trademarks of one childish, ignorant, irresponsible, retarded.

What if an individual forgoes his own happiness for the greater cause of making much more people happy?
    Then that person is a fool.

However, then I look at people from the past such as famous scientists, artists, poets, and musicians, and what I see scares me.
    Who are you talking about?

Which path is more noble?
    Do what is good because it is good, not because you want your name in some history book.

Quote Originally Posted by Meatboll View Post
    With gems like this I'm sure you'll do wonders for humanity.
    I still stand by what I said.

Quote Originally Posted by semaphore View Post
    Madam Curie would probably be the most famous.
    Last edited by Zf; 2013-01-06 at 08:20 AM. Reason: mispelling

Deleted
    You want to be remembered? Do something completly bonkers and off the hook.
    Or you could find a cure for aids, but you're going te need to work for that.

---------- Post added 2013-01-06 at 09:19 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Zf View Post
    Madam Query would probably be the most famous.
    Madame Curie* I don't know where you got your education, but she was in my history books.

Do what is good because it is good, not because you want your name in some history book.
    Albert Einstein was obsessed to the point of giving up his first born child to adoption because he had to finish college instead. Sir Issac Newton lived a life completely celibate because he was so enthralled by his studies. Ludwig Van Beethoven drove himself to madness creating his symphonies. The list goes on and on.

---------- Post added 2013-01-06 at 12:21 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Athorha View Post
    Then that person is a fool.
    Either that person is a fool or a selfless hero.

Quote Originally Posted by Zf View Post
    Madam Query would probably be the most famous.
    You mean Marie Curie? She had two accomplished daughters and won a Nobel Prize with her husband (and another on her own). Not sure how that's sacrificing everything.

Deleted
    Albert Einstein was obsessed to the point of giving up his first born child to adoption because he had to finish college instead. Sir Issac Newton lived a life completely celibate because he was so enthralled by his studies. Ludwig Van Beethoven drove himself to madness creating his symphonies. The list goes on and on.
    With a great mind, comes great introversion (most of the time)

Quote Originally Posted by JfmC View Post
    With a great mind, comes great introversion (most of the time)
    Clearly, but that's not the question. Is giving up everything to solve some great problem worth it in the end? Or is it better to just have a wife and children?

Albert Einstein was obsessed to the point of giving up his first born child to adoption because he had to finish college instead.
    Extremely speculative claims that need evidence. She might simply had died in infancy, and they had a son the next year.

Sir Issac Newton lived a life completely celibate because he was so enthralled by his studies.
    You don't know any of that that. He could simply have not married because he was asexual, or maybe he just didn't marry, or he was gay. You are attributing unconfirmed causes to a suspicion of celibacy without any evidence.

Ludwig Van Beethoven drove himself to madness creating his symphonies. The list goes on and on.
    Another speculative claim with no evidence.

Extremely speculative claims that need evidence. She might simply had died in infancy, and they had a son the next year.

You don't know any of that that. He could simply have not married because he was asexual, or maybe he just didn't marry, or he was gay. You are attributing unconfirmed causes to a suspicion of celibacy without any evidence.

Another speculative claim with no evidence.
    No, not speculative claim. Go read or watch some bios on these characters. You are assuming stuff is wrong without even going to check yourself.

Most likely the person is subjecting himself to hardships thinking that in the future after he has done some significant thing he will either be famous or rich and that will make him happy. This is why people are often not happy because they think they need to give away their happiness to get it in the future but often never get to what they want. Its better to just do what makes you happy now and you will still be happy later.

Or helping people makes him happy so he isnt really giving up happiness at all.

No, not speculative claim. Go read or watch some bios on these characters.
    I already have. You are still treating unfounded speculation as facts without any evidence.

Herald of the Titans OnlineSamantha's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    You mean Marie Curie? She had two accomplished daughters and won a Nobel Prize with her husband (and another on her own). Not sure how that's sacrificing everything.
    She and her husband DID die from cancer due to the radiation contamination from the radioactive material they were carrying around.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trumpresident View Post
    My words exactly. Manufacturing in the US is considerably more expensive than elsewhere, and part of that are savage regulations such as environment protection or minimum wages.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunderaan View Post
    Saying that Wilson is a racist murderer is the same level of conspiracy as saying Sandy Hook didn't happen and the parents are in on it.
    I don't post that often, and when I do it's often in bursts. I always lurk though.

I already have. You are still treating unfounded speculation as facts without any evidence.
    I guess multiple biographies about Einsteins life is false then. You go take that up with rest of the internet.