Poll: do you believe in aliens?

Page 12 of 22 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    the base of life in earth is amino acids

Amino acids (pron.: /əˈmiːnoʊ/, /əˈmaɪnoʊ/, or /ˈæmɪnoʊ/) are biologically important organic compounds made from amine (-NH2) and carboxylic acid (-COOH) functional groups, along with a side-chain specific to each amino acid. The key elements of an amino acid are carbon, hydrogen, oxygen, and nitrogen. About 500 amino acids are known[1] which can be classified in many ways. Structurally they can be classified according to the functional groups' locations as alpha- (α-), beta- (β-), gamma- (γ-) or delta- (δ-) amino acids; other categories relate to polarity, acid/base/neutral, and side chain group type (including: aliphatic, acyclic, hydroxyl or sulphur-containing, aromatic). In the form of proteins, amino acids comprise the second largest component other than water of human muscles, cells and other tissues.[2] Outside proteins, amino acids also perform critical biological roles including neurotransmitters, transport, and in synthesis.

Amino acids having both the amine and carboxylic acid groups attached to the first, or alpha, carbon atom have particular importance in biochemistry. They are known as 2-, alpha-, or α-amino acids (generic formula H2NCHRCOOH in most cases[3] where R is an organic substituent known as a "side-chain");[4] often the term "amino acid" is used to refer specifically to these. They include the 22 proteinogenic ("protein building") amino acids which combine into peptide chains ("polypeptides") to form the building blocks of a vast array of proteins.[5] These are all L-stereoisomers (left handed isomers) although a few D-amino acids (right handed) occur in bacterial envelopes and some antibiotics.[6][7] 20 of the 22 proteinogenic amino acids are known as "standard" amino acids which are encoded directly by triplet codons in the genetic code. The 2 exceptions are the "non-standard" or "non-canonical" pyrrolysine — found only in some methanogenic organisms but not humans or other eukaryotes, — and selenocysteine. Both of these are encoded via variant codons; for example, selenocysteine is encoded by stop codon and SECIS element.[8][9][10] Codon–tRNA combinations not found in nature can also be used to "expand" the genetic code and create novel proteins known as "alloproteins" incorporating non-proteinogenic amino acids.[11][12][13]

Many important proteinogenic and non-proteinogenic amino acids also play critical non-protein roles within the body. For example the standard glutamic acid (glutamate) and the non-standard gamma-amino acid gamma-amino-butyric acid (GABA) are respectively the brain's main excitatory and inhibitory neurotransmitters,[14] hydroxyproline-a major component of the connective tissue collagen-is synthesised from proline, the standard amino acid glycine is used to synthesise porphyrins used in red blood cells, and the non-standard carnitine is used in lipid transport.

9 of the 20 standard amino acids are called "essential" amino acids for humans because they cannot be created from other compounds by the human body, and so must be taken in as food. Others may be conditionally essential for some ages or medical conditions. Essential amino acids may also differ between species.[15]
    Because of their biological significance, amino acids are important in nutrition and are commonly used in nutritional supplements, fertilizers, and food technology. Industrial uses include the production of biodegradable plastics, drugs, and chiral catalysts.
    well they have found amino acids even in asteroids that are the same amino acids that also exist on earth. The majority of people I met who belive that earth is the chosen planet and there is only life here, is because of strong religion faith. Even the Batican lately have admitted that maybe we are not alone in the universe...
    The trick of selling a FFA-PvP MMO is creating the illusion among gankers that they are respectable fighters while protecting them from respectable fights, as their less skilled half would be massacred and quit instead of “HTFU” as they claim.

Herald of the Titans theredviola's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    Sure do. It would be an awful waste of space if there wasn't other life out there.
    "Do not only practice your art, but force yourself into its secrets, for it and knowledge can raise men to the divine." -- Ludwig Van Beethoven

Deleted
    Myeeeeeeeeeeeeep.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes but not at all like any movie shown, more of the idea of bacteria life-form than a real intellectual beings, I actually don't believe in aliens like anything shown by hollywood
    The beginning of wisdom is the statement 'I do not know.' The person who cannot make that statement is one who will never learn anything. And I have prided myself on my ability to learn
    Thrall
    http://youtu.be/x3ejO7Nssj8 7:20+ "Alliance remaining super power", clearly blizz favor horde too much, that they made alliance the super power

Deleted
    I WANT TO BELIEVE !! ;p

lately ive been watching a series of programs called Ancient Aliens on discovery channel ( http://www.history.com/shows/ancient-aliens).. its pretty interesting tbh, the way it describes things that have happened thru the history of time and certainly makes you think...

apparently *angels* as mentioned in many biblical tales or ancient civilisations are alien visitors sent to help the human race evolve etc etc..... and some of the stuff they go on about seems too real to be a pile of shit and ignored...

it covers tons of areas of the history of human life.. and the strange things that have happened since the dawn of civilisation... and offers a glimpse of maybe extra terrestrial influences here with us...

i.e.. take Joan of Arc. a normal 17 year old girl in the middle of a war between France and England said an *angel* visited her and told her how to defeat and stop England taking over France. Over night she demanded to become a military figure with *out of this world* ideas on how to manage an army and weapons and drive the English out of France. She became the leader of that French army and quickly drove out the English and taking back France.. how the fuck is this possible?? i never thought anything different tbh until i watched this program.. she was quickly made dead soon after tho ;p

a lot of *geniuses* also claim to have had visions from angelic figure types too.. to me it seems impossible to just think up some of these incredible things that certain geniuses have discovered without some kind of external influence... alien influence....

check out this program if your interested. its pretty damn fascinating.. but is it true? fuck knows, nobody knows for sure eh

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by semaphore View Post
    It's basically a statistical certainty that there will be life elsewhere in this universe.
    yes but intelligent self-aware beings? Doubtful. We are basically an anomaly

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Verazh View Post
    and you has proof of this yes?? ;p nobody knows and that is the true fact..

apparently now each star in the sky is a kind of sun with orbiting planets n shit, imagine how many planets that is
    until we has proof either way (which we probably will never ever get) then how can anyone be sure...

Agreed. While it is near certain that intelligent life is out there, it would be very rare. The 'just right' conditions are extremely narrow. That is if water is the building block for life. Too hot? No liquid water. Too cold? Frozen. Added to that the necessary ingredients to start up the primordial soup.

There is actually a lot of signs that Mars could have once harboured life and we're neighbours. Think of the other 100s of billions of solar systems like us.

Quote Originally Posted by zoomgpally View Post
    Maybe because you tried to link it as a image?
    Yeah, that would do it.... balls.

i am not arrogant enough to believe that earth is the only planet in the universe to harbor sentient life.

Quote Originally Posted by iscalio View Post
    99% of the atoms in our bodies are H, O, C and N. This only means that where Earth-like life is present, these elements will be abundant.
    I find it hard to swallow that you're suggesting four of the five most common elements in all existence only affects Earth-Like areas.

I belive that there is/has been life on another planet.
    mmo-champion has become full of trolls and bad admins.

Quote Originally Posted by FrankLampard View Post
    There is actually a lot of signs that Mars could have once harboured life and we're neighbours.
    Not only that, but the panspermia theory suggests that it may be possible for ejecta from asteroid collisions to spread organic matter from planet to planet.

Life on Earth and other planets could have been sparked by bombardment of bacteria-carrying spacerock.

Cool shit.

Aliens like Xenu/god or aliens like E.T./Close encounters?
    Apply blizzards model to any other subscription service,you'd be outraged:
    Netflix adds no new movies for a year, you click a new movie, there's a $5 fee.
    You're in an accident, click your onstar button, but there's an addition $20 fee for them to help.
    You turn on your tv only to find all you get are the infomercial channels. Every other show is pay per view.
    See how dumb that model is?

Yeah. I'm not even talking about advanced, I'm talking FROM advanced to single cells.
    http://thingsihaveneverdone.wordpress.com
    Just started my 24/7 LoFi stream. Come listen!
    https://youtu.be/3uv1pLbpQM8

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mall Security View Post
    You do realise that the nearest star to us besides our sun is like over a trillion light year +, and seeing as there is NO way to travel even close to the speed of light that it would not be possible even if we did make a journey out to come back, compound that with the fact we don't have the means of physics to pull off such a feat for atleast another several hundred years by which we might only be able to travel within our own star system, I am afraid your calculations are way off, and your understanding of our ability to cover even a mila fraction of stars you mentioned are about as liklely as unicorns flying on rainbows.
    Umm, alpha centauri is 4.2 light years away...

Be sure you arn't going to spew shit before you open your mouth and make a fool of yourself.
    Walking with a friend in the dark is better than walking alone in the light.
    So I chose the path of the Ebon Blade, and not a day passes where i've regretted it.
    I am eternal, I am unyielding, I am UNDYING.
    I am Zethras, and my blood will be the end of you.

Yes because anything about us is particularly unique? Our bodies are made out of the most common elements in the universe. There's a lot of intelligent and self-aware life on Earth, so since it's so abundant on Earth, why wouldn't it be relatively abundant elsewhere in space.

Not only is it statistically improbably that we're the only sentient life, it's also statistically probable that just by pure chance, there's another civilization out there not too unlike us. Just by pure, random, dumb, chance. Because that's how many simple, random, dumb chances there are - enough so that even something unique (in our own eyes), is not very unique.

What I find to be a much more interesting question is why we haven't heard of any of them yet. We're already toying with the science and ideas regarding faster than light (or near-light-speed) travel and such, so even if it takes 10'000 years before we achieve anything similar to that, that's a tiny tiny tiny fraction of time. Which means that, odds are, somewhere in the universe, some other civilization that got a 10'000 year head start on us, could have / should have made that technological milestone. But since they aren't here.... That potentially means it's not possible after all? Or, perhaps, in the vast sea of pointless space, nobody's bothered to go to this random, boring, average, solar system, orbiting a boring, average, star.... I think it's probably the latter, but it's an interesting thought.

Anyway, why do people post threads like this, you know nobody is going to be convinced by anybody else, so it's just begging for a dumb argument between believers and nonbelievers.
    Last edited by Mythricia; 2013-01-06 at 10:20 PM.
    I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like more than half of you more than you deserve.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiing View Post
    But the absence of evidence is not evidence of absence, Only seems to apply when its about the universe/aliens.
    But when its about religion, the absence of evidence is *not* evidence of absence Doesen't exist. So how does that work?
    Because religion and God goes against the physical laws that we have established to be true. Alien life does not.
    "In life, I was raised to hate the undead. Trained to destroy them. When I became Forsaken, I hated myself most of all. But now I see it is the Alliance that fosters this malice. The human kingdoms shun their former brothers and sisters because we remind them what's lurking beneath the facade of flesh. It's time to end their cycle of hatred. The Alliance deserves to fall." - Lilian Voss

10+ Year Old Account
    If there are intelligent aliens somewhere (or even if they're extinct) I would love to hear their music.

Aliens? Sure, in this day and age I think you would be foolish not to. UFOs on the other hand....negatory.