1. #1

    Premium Headphone suggestions...

    What do you guys think of the Beyerdynamic brand? Also I know Sennheiser and Audio-Technica get good reviews.

    Thing is I just got the ASUS Xonar Essence STX and I want to take good advantage of its quality and 600 ohm capability. I live in the US and my price range is $300, although I could go as high as $400 if it's a good deal and the extra cost has good value in terms of quality.

    I will be using them primarily for gaming and music of course. I'm taking all suggestions...

    Thanks!

  2. #2
    Dreadlord
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Detroit mi
    Posts
    982
    Quote Originally Posted by MastaMcKay View Post
    What do you guys think of the Beyerdynamic brand? Also I know Sennheiser and Audio-Technica get good reviews.

    Thing is I just got the ASUS Xonar Essence STX and I want to take good advantage of its quality and 600 ohm capability. I live in the US and my price range is $300, although I could go as high as $400 if it's a good deal and the extra cost has good value in terms of quality.

    I will be using them primarily for gaming and music of course. I'm taking all suggestions...

    Thanks!
    i just got a pair of grado's and im super obsessed with them as most grado owners are. check them out for sure. the only possible bad thing i could say about them is they dont hold sound in, because they are open cans, not closed.

    http://www.amazon.com/Grado-Prestige.../dp/B000J1N3HW
    Last edited by jmacphee9; 2013-01-06 at 08:44 AM.
    Intel [email protected]
    Gigabyte Z68X-UD3H-B3
    Gigabyte N560OC 1gb gpu
    Corsair 2x4gb
    Antec v2 Two Hundred
    Razer Blackwidow Ultimate
    Razer Naga

  3. #3
    Entry level audiophile is generally around $500
    I would seriously recommend taking a look at sennheiser hd650s. They start at $500 but if you shop around you shouldn't have a problem finding them around 4. Sound quality is amazing, have tested a friends on my essence stx. My personal pair however are a week late from amazon.

  4. #4
    Dreadlord
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Detroit mi
    Posts
    982
    Quote Originally Posted by Purple Spy View Post
    Entry level audiophile is generally around $500
    I would seriously recommend taking a look at sennheiser hd650s. They start at $500 but if you shop around you shouldn't have a problem finding them around 4. Sound quality is amazing, have tested a friends on my essence stx. My personal pair however are a week late from amazon.
    ^ the hd650s are the basic, if you are spending 500$ on audiophile headphones these are the ones to get. well like i said earlier as well, its usually the grado diehards and then everyone else.

    try looking around for some high end audio stores, they are usually pretty rare but possible to find.
    Intel [email protected]
    Gigabyte Z68X-UD3H-B3
    Gigabyte N560OC 1gb gpu
    Corsair 2x4gb
    Antec v2 Two Hundred
    Razer Blackwidow Ultimate
    Razer Naga

  5. #5
    In addition to above brands (Beyerdynamic, Sennheiser, Audio-Technica and Grado), AKG and Shure are also known brands when shopping for studio quality headphones.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

  6. #6
    Herald of the Titans shroudster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    netherlands
    Posts
    2,890
    am i the only one who finds it curious he got the soundcard before knowing what headphones to use with it?
    my limited high end audio suggestion would also be to check out AKG.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by shroudster View Post
    am i the only one who finds it curious he got the soundcard before knowing what headphones to use with it?
    my limited high end audio suggestion would also be to check out AKG.
    Nah cause I knew that sound card was top of the line and would be the best. There didn't seem to be a lot of strong competition, or at the very least the STS stood up strong. Now when it comes to the headphones there are sooooooo many solid choices and I could use the advice.

    Quote Originally Posted by jmacphee9 View Post
    ^ the hd650s are the basic, if you are spending 500$ on audiophile headphones these are the ones to get. well like i said earlier as well, its usually the grado diehards and then everyone else.

    try looking around for some high end audio stores, they are usually pretty rare but possible to find.
    Those HD650's do look solid. I don't want to cut corners on the headphones after getting such a quality sound card. Looks like you can find them for a decent mark down, too.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by MastaMcKay View Post
    Those HD650's do look solid. I don't want to cut corners on the headphones after getting such a quality sound card. Looks like you can find them for a decent mark down, too.
    HD650s are really solid, Sennheiser just doesn't bother with good looks. As for my reccomendations, try head-fi.org - a site full of crazy audiophiles (but beware, as you may end up buying stuff worth 10x more than you originally planned ). Also, at the audiophile level, it's wise to choose headphones based on the music you listen to.

  9. #9
    Scarab Lord MonsieuRoberts's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Weeping Squares, Vilendra, Solus
    Posts
    4,207
    Quote Originally Posted by notalive View Post
    HD650s are really solid, Sennheiser just doesn't bother with good looks. As for my reccomendations, try head-fi.org - a site full of crazy audiophiles (but beware, as you may end up buying stuff worth 10x more than you originally planned ). Also, at the audiophile level, it's wise to choose headphones based on the music you listen to.
    That website does indeed entice you into the extremely expensive items...great info though, it's nice to see the opinions of the meticulous and dedicated like that, stacked all together to show what is truly best.
    "In short, people are idiots who don't really understand anything."

    "It shall be engraved upon your very soul; Nibelung Valesti!"
    Old Warrior - New Warrior

  10. #10
    Immortal Notarget's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Dark Side of the Moon
    Posts
    7,808
    Quote Originally Posted by jmacphee9 View Post
    ^ the hd650s are the basic, if you are spending 500$ on audiophile headphones these are the ones to get. well like i said earlier as well, its usually the grado diehards and then everyone else.

    try looking around for some high end audio stores, they are usually pretty rare but possible to find.
    They're actually ~$400 on Amazon atm

    HiFiMAN HE-400 is worth taking a look at also.
    Last edited by Notarget; 2013-01-07 at 02:27 AM.
    CPU: Intel i5-3570k (4.5GHz) MB: ASUS Z77 Sabertooth (uefi 2003)
    GPU: Asus 280X TOP (1130MHz/1750MHz) RAM: Corsair LP/LV white 8GB 1600MHz
    SSD: Samsung 840Pro 256GB + Crucial m4 128GB (040H) PSU: Seasonic 620M CASE: Corsair 500R (White/Black) Monitor: 1440p BenQ GW2765HT 1080p LG 237L-BN IPS
    Current build! ||Old Build || Bitdefender Total Security 2015 || AV-TEST 2014

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by Notarget View Post
    They're actually ~$400 on Amazon atm

    HiFiMAN HE-400 is worth taking a look at also.
    Out of those i'd take the HE-400 in a heartbeat.
    "Marketing is what you do when your product is no good."

  12. #12
    Well, speaking of Beyerdynamics, I've got the DT 990 Premium 32 ohm ones and am loving them so far.

    http://www.head-fi.org/products/beye...ohm-headphones

    I can sit for endless hours without needing to take them off because of discomfort, they feel amazing when wearing, and the sound is beautiful as well.

    I listen to mainly electronic, rock, with some instrumental in thrown in and for my tastes, they work great.

    Also, dat bass.

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by MastaMcKay View Post
    What do you guys think of the Beyerdynamic brand? Also I know Sennheiser and Audio-Technica get good reviews.

    Thing is I just got the ASUS Xonar Essence STX and I want to take good advantage of its quality and 600 ohm capability. I live in the US and my price range is $300, although I could go as high as $400 if it's a good deal and the extra cost has good value in terms of quality.

    I will be using them primarily for gaming and music of course. I'm taking all suggestions...

    Thanks!
    Don't buy 600ohm headphones just because your gear supports.

    Sennheiser 598's are up for $212 on Amazon.com right now.

  14. #14
    Since there is already this thread I don't want to have to open a new one for my question. I'm curious about the other end of the spectrum, what's a good pair of head phones, with or without a mic, for a fairly good (low) price? I have the coin to spend on a good set but for what I use them for, music while my wife sleeps, they won't get used but maybe twice a week. So, what's a good set, or sets?

    [Banhammer, Kungen's Bane]

    1.60 sp mace
    150 str
    268 sta
    77 defense
    80 dodge
    93 parry
    "As you look upon the mace, you hear the whining of a thousand fanboys. Something deep with in your soul makes it impossible to think anything but 'lol.'"

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by Tumble View Post
    Since there is already this thread I don't want to have to open a new one for my question. I'm curious about the other end of the spectrum, what's a good pair of head phones, with or without a mic, for a fairly good (low) price? I have the coin to spend on a good set but for what I use them for, music while my wife sleeps, they won't get used but maybe twice a week. So, what's a good set, or sets?
    Assuming you need closed headphones (so that sound doesn't leak out), a good starting point would be the Audio Technica M50 closed monitors for around $135.

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by Cows For Life View Post
    Assuming you need closed headphones (so that sound doesn't leak out), a good starting point would be the Audio Technica M50 closed monitors for around $135.
    Thanks for this, I'll check them out.

    [Banhammer, Kungen's Bane]

    1.60 sp mace
    150 str
    268 sta
    77 defense
    80 dodge
    93 parry
    "As you look upon the mace, you hear the whining of a thousand fanboys. Something deep with in your soul makes it impossible to think anything but 'lol.'"

  17. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by Tumble View Post
    Thanks for this, I'll check them out.
    Those are actually $122 on Amazon at the moment. Personally I don't like the sound from closed headphones. Would your wife be in the same room? If not, open ones would probably be okay too.

  18. #18
    There are so many headphones out there these days. Before buying headphones I usually check out < snipped > to see what the reviews are like and I search Google to see what people have to say. I like the Soul by Ludacris, they look crazy!
    Last edited by llDemonll; 2013-01-07 at 08:09 PM.

  19. #19
    I got the Corsair Vengeance 1500 set a few months ago and I have been extremely pleased by them. Very comfortable, great sound, the surround sound emulation is better then I had expected it to be in most games I play.

  20. #20
    The Insane DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Illinois, USA
    Posts
    15,372
    Quote Originally Posted by Zoneseek View Post
    I got the Corsair Vengeance 1500 set a few months ago and I have been extremely pleased by them. Very comfortable, great sound, the surround sound emulation is better then I had expected it to be in most games I play.
    This is not even comparable to what he's looking for, not to mention these are USB-driven, not from an actual sound card. He wants real headphones, not a headset. Among headsets, sure the Vengeance 1500s are some of the best, but when compared to audiophile-quality headphones, they are trash. A range of 20Hz-20KHz? Audiophile-level headphones tend to range anywhere from 5Hz~ to 35KHz+. Totally different ballpark dude. :P
    i7-5820K | ASUS X99- Deluxe | Crucial 2x8GB DDR4 2133MHz | eVGA GTX 760 SC | Crucial MX100 512GB | Crucial M500 240GB | Crucial m4 128GB | Western Digital Blue 1TB | Western Digital Black 1TB | SeaSonic X660 Gold
    ASUS MX239H | Schiit Stack Modi + Asgard 2 | Sennheiser HD598 | Audio Technica ATH-AD700 | Presonus Eris E5 Studio Monitors | Blue Snowball Mic | Razer Death Adder | Corsair K70 | CyberPower 1500PFCLCD UPS

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •