Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
1
2
  1. #21
    Keyboard Turner kataoki's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    7
    Hi i just bought a new setup myself and thought to give you some advice about it. Was a guildie of mine who suggested this setup and its pretty good for the money (about the same budget as you)

    CPU I went for a

    Intel Core i5 3570K 3.40GHz - Costed me a 239 Euro wich was in a local store in my town, pretty sure its cheaper via online orders. Great CPU standard boosts up to 3.8 ghz. Asfar i can read on forums its one of the best CPU's to overclock, with up to 4.8 GHZ Stable (with the right cooling). I have installed a Corsair H100 Liquid cooling to clock but my motherboard doesnt allow me to clock (derp, didnt read enough info on a mobo) So with a right motherboard you can do magic with this one.

    RAM I went for Kingston DDr3 1600 2x 4 GB. Was 75 Euro for these, nice self cooling, and if you setup the RAM in the bios to finetune them. Later on i heard of a friend of mine telling to get 4x 2 GB rams cause they work even faster, but i didnt know then.

    GFX NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 Ti, TI Version is almost on par (benchmarks) with the more expensive cards (660 Ti was 339euro, the high end cards are above 600) Its a good card and im able to play farcry 3 on very high while i livesteam it in HD and watch on a second screen...

    Biggest mistake was my motherboard, went for ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. P8H77-V LE, apparently you cant clock as easy on this, on all h77 series btw. Theres also a useless gpu on the motherboard wich is a waste, and standard it has only stereo jacks. Lesson learned, dont save money on the motherboard... Was 109 euro ><

    What i defo happy about, SSD! This was new to me and amg, its fast. Usual when i wake up and turn on the PC when i walk downstairs, i heard windows and skype turn on. Now, when i get to my door i already hear windows and skype pop up xD I went for a samsung SSD 830 series 119 GB. Costed a 129 Euro.

    I already had my case,psu, sata dvd rewriter and Sata HDD for storage, so didnt have to buy them (all together a 250 euro saved)

    Comes at a 891 for the hardware stuff, plus a 250 for the stuff i already had, it costed 1141 Euro, and if you like like i did, i bought that Corsair H100 cooling for the cpu.

    Hope this is of any help in buying new hardware, i was happy to get some help on this, do as you please with it :P

  2. #22
    Quote Originally Posted by Drudgery View Post
    If saving money and you want a more gaming orientated and if you're willing to make an effort with overclocking, then by all means go for this option. Bear in mind that you'll need to invest in a decent after market cooler to make the most of that CPU. The case might limit your options when choosing a decent CPU cooler. This requires some research of course and it will ofcourse increase the cost of your build.




    No Ti is not the same as SLI. SLI is a configuration when you have between two-four Nvidia cards with the same GPU architecture working together. Your motherboard may not support this feature.

    TI is a suffix used at the end of Nvidia's 660TI. They have more stream processors and texture units than a Nvidia 660 card without the suffix of TI.

    660TI cards in general perform better than 660 cards because of higher Stream Processors and higher texture units. This means that when playing at 1080p with some visual quality options cranked up (Such as MSAA), then the 660TI will perform better. When you're not enabling such features, then there is little difference between the two cards. It also depends on the games you're playing as well, but in general you see 12% increase in performance.

    But remember, given the numerous designs of the 660 and the 660TI then the performance gap will vary considerably. This is usually reflected in price anyhow.

    Thank you for clarifying this...So the 2GB GTX660 MSI TWINFROZR III (overclocked edition) is "just" a GTX 660 that they have made a bit faster? And do you know if it is as fast as the GTX 660TI?

    ---------- Post added 2013-01-06 at 03:47 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by kataoki View Post
    Hi i just bought a new setup myself and thought to give you some advice about it. Was a guildie of mine who suggested this setup and its pretty good for the money (about the same budget as you)

    CPU I went for a

    Intel Core i5 3570K 3.40GHz - Costed me a 239 Euro wich was in a local store in my town, pretty sure its cheaper via online orders. Great CPU standard boosts up to 3.8 ghz. Asfar i can read on forums its one of the best CPU's to overclock, with up to 4.8 GHZ Stable (with the right cooling). I have installed a Corsair H100 Liquid cooling to clock but my motherboard doesnt allow me to clock (derp, didnt read enough info on a mobo) So with a right motherboard you can do magic with this one.

    RAM I went for Kingston DDr3 1600 2x 4 GB. Was 75 Euro for these, nice self cooling, and if you setup the RAM in the bios to finetune them. Later on i heard of a friend of mine telling to get 4x 2 GB rams cause they work even faster, but i didnt know then.

    GFX NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 Ti, TI Version is almost on par (benchmarks) with the more expensive cards (660 Ti was 339euro, the high end cards are above 600) Its a good card and im able to play farcry 3 on very high while i livesteam it in HD and watch on a second screen...

    Biggest mistake was my motherboard, went for ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. P8H77-V LE, apparently you cant clock as easy on this, on all h77 series btw. Theres also a useless gpu on the motherboard wich is a waste, and standard it has only stereo jacks. Lesson learned, dont save money on the motherboard... Was 109 euro ><

    What i defo happy about, SSD! This was new to me and amg, its fast. Usual when i wake up and turn on the PC when i walk downstairs, i heard windows and skype turn on. Now, when i get to my door i already hear windows and skype pop up xD I went for a samsung SSD 830 series 119 GB. Costed a 129 Euro.

    I already had my case,psu, sata dvd rewriter and Sata HDD for storage, so didnt have to buy them (all together a 250 euro saved) SSD will be a future opgrade for me, hoping the prices will drop a bit.

    Comes at a 891 for the hardware stuff, plus a 250 for the stuff i already had, it costed 1141 Euro, and if you like like i did, i bought that Corsair H100 cooling for the cpu.

    Hope this is of any help in buying new hardware, i was happy to get some help on this, do as you please with it :P
    Thank you for your post, my only problem being that I can't assemble a PC myself so I kinda depend on what the shops offer me (already built)

  3. #23
    Quote Originally Posted by kataoki View Post
    Hi i just bought a new setup myself and thought to give you some advice about it. Was a guildie of mine who suggested this setup and its pretty good for the money (about the same budget as you)

    CPU I went for a

    Intel Core i5 3570K 3.40GHz - Costed me a 239 Euro wich was in a local store in my town, pretty sure its cheaper via online orders. Great CPU standard boosts up to 3.8 ghz. Asfar i can read on forums its one of the best CPU's to overclock, with up to 4.8 GHZ Stable (with the right cooling). I have installed a Corsair H100 Liquid cooling to clock but my motherboard doesnt allow me to clock (derp, didnt read enough info on a mobo) So with a right motherboard you can do magic with this one.

    RAM I went for Kingston DDr3 1600 2x 4 GB. Was 75 Euro for these, nice self cooling, and if you setup the RAM in the bios to finetune them. Later on i heard of a friend of mine telling to get 4x 2 GB rams cause they work even faster, but i didnt know then.

    GFX NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 Ti, TI Version is almost on par (benchmarks) with the more expensive cards (660 Ti was 339euro, the high end cards are above 600) Its a good card and im able to play farcry 3 on very high while i livesteam it in HD and watch on a second screen...

    Biggest mistake was my motherboard, went for ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. P8H77-V LE, apparently you cant clock as easy on this, on all h77 series btw. Theres also a useless gpu on the motherboard wich is a waste, and standard it has only stereo jacks. Lesson learned, dont save money on the motherboard... Was 109 euro ><

    What i defo happy about, SSD! This was new to me and amg, its fast. Usual when i wake up and turn on the PC when i walk downstairs, i heard windows and skype turn on. Now, when i get to my door i already hear windows and skype pop up xD I went for a samsung SSD 830 series 119 GB. Costed a 129 Euro.

    I already had my case,psu, sata dvd rewriter and Sata HDD for storage, so didnt have to buy them (all together a 250 euro saved)

    Comes at a 891 for the hardware stuff, plus a 250 for the stuff i already had, it costed 1141 Euro, and if you like like i did, i bought that Corsair H100 cooling for the cpu.

    Hope this is of any help in buying new hardware, i was happy to get some help on this, do as you please with it :P
    Thank you for your post, the problem is that I can't build the PC myself, so I depend on what the shops offers me (prebuilt)
    an SSD drive will be a future upgrade for me, hoping the prices will have dropped by then.

    ---------- Post added 2013-01-06 at 03:59 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Drudgery View Post
    If saving money and you want a more gaming orientated and if you're willing to make an effort with overclocking, then by all means go for this option. Bear in mind that you'll need to invest in a decent after market cooler to make the most of that CPU. The case might limit your options when choosing a decent CPU cooler. This requires some research of course and it will ofcourse increase the cost of your build.




    No Ti is not the same as SLI. SLI is a configuration when you have between two-four Nvidia cards with the same GPU architecture working together. Your motherboard may not support this feature.

    TI is a suffix used at the end of Nvidia's 660TI. They have more stream processors and texture units than a Nvidia 660 card without the suffix of TI.

    660TI cards in general perform better than 660 cards because of higher Stream Processors and higher texture units. This means that when playing at 1080p with some visual quality options cranked up (Such as MSAA), then the 660TI will perform better. When you're not enabling such features, then there is little difference between the two cards. It also depends on the games you're playing as well, but in general you see 12% increase in performance.

    But remember, given the numerous designs of the 660 and the 660TI then the performance gap will vary considerably. This is usually reflected in price anyhow.
    I think someone is messing around with my posts, or it might be myself.
    Thank you for clarifying this...So the 2GB GTX660 MSI TWINFROZR III (overclocked edition) is "just" a GTX 660 that they have made a bit faster? And do you know if it is as fast as the GTX 660TI?

  4. #24
    Quote Originally Posted by Bingobjarne View Post
    I think someone is messing around with my posts, or it might be myself.
    Thank you for clarifying this...So the 2GB GTX660 MSI TWINFROZR III (overclocked edition) is "just" a GTX 660 that they have made a bit faster? And do you know if it is as fast as the GTX 660TI?
    Yes, its a slightly overclocked version of a reference 660, which means its a bit faster. Overall its not as fast as a GTX 660TI, but this depends on the games you're playing.

  5. #25
    So based on everything I've read from peoples replies here...I've found this setup(prebuilt ofc) this should have a better motherboard like people here suggested and the i5 3570k CPU that people suggested, only downside is that I'm not getting the i7 for my editing.

    * INTEL i5 3570K 3.4GHZ (3.8GHZ TURBO) UNLOCKED (OC READY)
    * ASUS P8Z77-V LX Motherboard, USB3,SATA6G,
    * GTX660 2GB DDR5 DUALFAN (OVERCLOCKED) GPU, MSI TWINFROZR III
    * COOLERMASTER HYPER-TX3 Low noise
    * 550W XFX PRO SERIES 80+, Low noise PSU (By SEASONIC)
    * COOLERMASTER GAMERKABINET ELITE430
    * 500GB HARDDISK, 7200RPM, SATA 6G
    * 8GB DDR3 1600MHZ HYPER-X RAM, KINGSTON
    * ASUS 24x DUALLAYER DVD drive
    * 8CH (5.1 & 7.1) SURROUND LYDKORT
    * 8x USB (2 of them are USB 3.0) (2 on the front, 6 on the back)
    * GIGABIT netcard (1000Mbit)

    ***changing COOLERMASTER GAMERKABINET ELITE430 to COOLERMASTER SILENCIO 450 for 20 Dollars.

    Total price 5099kr or 1078 dollars.

  6. #26
    Quote Originally Posted by Bingobjarne View Post
    So based on everything I've read from peoples replies here...I've found this setup(prebuilt ofc) this should have a better motherboard like people here suggested and the i5 3570k CPU that people suggested, only downside is that I'm not getting the i7 for my editing.

    * INTEL i5 3570K 3.4GHZ (3.8GHZ TURBO) UNLOCKED (OC READY)
    * ASUS P8Z77-V LX Motherboard, USB3,SATA6G,
    * GTX660 2GB DDR5 DUALFAN (OVERCLOCKED) GPU, MSI TWINFROZR III
    * COOLERMASTER HYPER-TX3 Low noise
    * 550W XFX PRO SERIES 80+, Low noise PSU (By SEASONIC)
    * COOLERMASTER GAMERKABINET ELITE430
    * 500GB HARDDISK, 7200RPM, SATA 6G
    * 8GB DDR3 1600MHZ HYPER-X RAM, KINGSTON
    * ASUS 24x DUALLAYER DVD drive
    * 8CH (5.1 & 7.1) SURROUND LYDKORT
    * 8x USB (2 of them are USB 3.0) (2 on the front, 6 on the back)
    * GIGABIT netcard (1000Mbit)

    ***changing COOLERMASTER GAMERKABINET ELITE430 to COOLERMASTER SILENCIO 450 for 20 Dollars.

    Total price 5099kr or 1078 dollars.
    The PSU is good. Two professional reviews website have said very positive things about that PSU.

    Keep the case Elite 430, the extra $20 isn't worth it.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •