Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Give it up. If such technology advances to that point we will be dust by then.

I get it. I like Asuna to. Shes introverted, submissive, and kicks butt.

It's not happening any time soon.

Because SAO is absolutely amazing. As well as one of the best modern examples of a VRMMORPG

---------- Post added 2013-04-04 at 07:34 AM ----------

Uh Bigzoman20, you may or may not know it. But he have the tech to make one right now, or at least start work on it. Its just finance and ethics, most likely some countries have already started work, and/or are completed by now but that would be the greatest ever military training program.

Quote Originally Posted by Eximess View Post
    I hope so much that this happens in my lifetime, but that is very unlikely.

The only problem I see is that people want to feel part of the world, but they don't want to feel the pain of getting stabbed, grenade blowing up etc.
    well, if technologies were so good, that they could interfere with nerves and send some info that brain aprehends as real (like in dream), they could just simply low the intensity of pain so much that being hacked up dindn't hurt more than cutting a finger or even more
    so that's not a problem. problem is, as i see it, how to send brain such an info

---------- Post added 2013-04-16 at 12:19 AM ----------

well, if technologies were so advanced that they could interfered with nerves system, then they could use orders from brain tfor game and don't let that orders to reach destination, so adrenaline won't be generated. problem decided ;D

There are all kinds of tech in development that would allow a vrmmo to operate. There's no reason to doubt that the military would love to be able to use that kind of tech to train soldiers before sending them out into battle. It may not be right around the corner, but it's not out of the realm of possibility in the next 50 years.

I don't think that it will take 50 years.
    I mean just look at how far we came from Computers that were the Size of whole Warehouses to Ultrabooks.
    And If we follow Moore's law and computing power will double every 18 Months , we will easily have the needed Horsepower in our Living rooms for a VR-Game by the end of the 2020's.
    A now High-End Gaming PC with a AMD 7970 that was released in June 2012 (just for demonstration purpose) can already achieve 16 TFLOPS.
    If we believe Moore's law by 2027 our Computing power would increase to 262 thousand 144 TFLOPS or 262 PFLOPS
    ( The most Powerful Supercomputer in the World, the Chinese Tianhe-2 has only 33 PFLOPS for comparison)
    So our Home Computer Computing power would increase by 196 times as of now!
    I don't even want to think how Supercomputer would be by then!
    If Graphics Power merely doubles it would be way enough for high end realistic looking Graphics if you think about how Crysis 3 looks now, and how it could look twice as good. Biggest challenge would be either Physics , the wast amount of Content or the most realistic one, the Type of Connection.
    If it goes over the Internet, we would need a huge amount of data transfer for this. But by then most homes should be equiped with Fiber Glass Connections allowing more than enough bandwidth to be available.

Ouh and on a side note: As researchers are developing better conductors, we could even get a huge jump in computing power earlier then we might think.

Quote Originally Posted by Xenom3e View Post
    I don't think that it will take 50 years.
    I mean just look at how far we came from Computers that were the Size of whole Warehouses to Ultrabooks.
    And If we follow Moore's law and computing power will double every 18 Months , we will easily have the needed Horsepower in our Living rooms for a VR-Game by the end of the 2020's.
    A now High-End Gaming PC with a AMD 7970 that was released in June 2012 (just for demonstration purpose) can already achieve 16 TFLOPS.
    If we believe Moore's law by 2027 our Computing power would increase to 262 thousand 144 TFLOPS or 262 PFLOPS
    ( The most Powerful Supercomputer in the World, the Chinese Tianhe-2 has only 33 PFLOPS for comparison)
    So our Home Computer Computing power would increase by 196 times as of now!
    I don't even want to think how Supercomputer would be by then!
    If Graphics Power merely doubles it would be way enough for high end realistic looking Graphics if you think about how Crysis 3 looks now, and how it could look twice as good. Biggest challenge would be either Physics , the wast amount of Content or the most realistic one, the Type of Connection.
    If it goes over the Internet, we would need a huge amount of data transfer for this. But by then most homes should be equiped with Fiber Glass Connections allowing more than enough bandwidth to be available.

Ouh and on a side note: As researchers are developing better conductors, we could even get a huge jump in computing power earlier then we might think.
    Hell, when we get to the point where quantum computing happens, that's going to change the face of computers and computer power at a much faster rate than even Moore's law, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by anyaka21 View Post
    Hell, when we get to the point where quantum computing happens, that's going to change the face of computers and computer power at a much faster rate than even Moore's law, IMO.
    You made me think of Ender's Game. V_V

WTB Ender's Game universe pl0x

guys if a vrmmorpg is to be created first of all we must understand how the human brain works.. after that games like sao will be created.though if the equipment is like the one in sao then we will see many cancer victims so it may not be allowed to be used for gaming or any other reason. but in my opinion the release date of the first mmorpg depends on the day human will finally understand how his brain works. so if u want to help better become brain scientists or donate ur brain to a lab

ALSO dont forget that a game must be created first.. so even VR equipment started falling from the sky.. it would take 5-6 years for the first vrmmorpg to be released.. cz dont forget we are talking about VRmmorpgs not just an ordinary mmorpg so u can imagine how difficult it may be to create such an environment ALONG with all the skills and stuff.. so yeah in my opinion its a bit difficult b4 2030 or 2040 i dont know IM JUST 15 OKAY? leave me alone -.-

Its not possible today but it will happen in our lifetime. Im thinkin virtual recreations of all of our favorite citys will come first. In the virtual universe these "fantasys" will appeal to everyone. You will be able to simulate walks through citys, spy experiences, and the life of a pro athlete. Think like total recall. My guess for the year for this sort of technology although very expensive is around 2037-2040. Right before the singularity.

The Lightbringer
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasierith View Post
    If they make you have to run in person in order to run in game, gamers will become the most fit people on earth.
    Quote for truth
    WoW is no longer an MMORPG. It is now a MMOAAG (Massively Multiplayer Online Action Adventure Game)

It'd be only a matter of time before "Adult mods" come out if that happened. lol.

You know.. why not. Technology always seem to surprise us.

Ok everyone, it's been a while and I have had 2 Oculus Rift development kits in my possession for a few months now. In my opinion the Oculus Rift consumer device will definitely be a practical platform for a real VRMMORPG. To clarify I am talking of VR with visual, auditory, and limited dexterity capabilities, not the full SAO neurotransmitter type of VR. The Rift provides an amazing sense of life-like depth I have never experienced through any other headset or display. This depth-perception forces your brain to accept the virtual setting as a real place to a degree that will make your body physically react with anxiety or adrenaline depending on the virtual setting and situation you are placed in.

Some things I have noticed while experimenting with the Rift.

1. The isolation of the headphones and goggles combined with the depth-perception of the experience create a much more intense atmosphere.
    When you are using the Rift you are "in" the game and not playing in the typical casual manner that you would with non-VR games. This results in both positive and negative outcomes. On the positive side VR finally provides an experience that has been promised since it was first conceived, an open universe of possible destinations and adventures with god-like virtual capabilities and interactions that feel orders of magnitude more personal and intimate than a telephone or video-based communication platform. On the negative side VR requires a commitment of time and concentration, the outside world will be closed out so no snacking while playing, hearing the world outside, or multi-tasking.

2. Little details matter much more in VR than in traditional games.
    I played a few VR-modded traditional games such as Guild Wars 2, Minecraft, and Skyrim. Although very cool, visually there was a "deadness" to the worlds that is much easier to see in VR. For example NPCs were noticeably creepy and lifeless, something easily ignored when playing on a 2D screen, and textures/items/animations were often less detailed in some places than others. I hope future VRMMORPGs pay attention to this fact and put special effort into creating more realistic NPC communities and world ecosystems. I'm eager to try out GTA 5 when the PC version comes out, the world in that game looks much more active.

3. Nausea is an issue with VR and will remain a problem in the short term, there is too much sugar-coating of this issue.
    I love the Rift but I do get dizzy and nauseous in it from time to time. When I first used the Rift I had a mild migraine for many hours after using it. From what we have been told 60 frames per second software and accurate head positional tracking will alleviate most of these problems assuming the software's camera is free of glitches. I am a person that gets sick easily and I found the Rift tolerable after a few prolonged uses, to be honest it reminds me of the initial days of 3D gaming where 3D movements and camera angles took adjustment. This being said I do believe there will be people who may not be able to use the Rift whatsoever because of this issue. Normally any mention of nausea would be a deal-breaker but the experience of the Rift is so good that it's worth trying out the device to see if you're the type of person that experiences this issue.

4. Peripherals matter more for VR than any other previous medium.
    The Razer Hydra controllers make a big difference in VR. Having control of your limbs adds an important sense of presence and freedom within a virtual environment. I look forward to the Sixense STEM system, a technology that I feel will be a prerequisite to a proper VR experience. I also think the Tactical Haptics technology could make a significant impact in VR interactions with virtual objects, providing an initial physical resistance to materials in virtual environments, an experience that is very effective.

5. VR will start with games and then expand way beyond gaming.
    I'm reminded of Second Life when I use the Rift sometimes. I was never a big fan of SL because of the technical problems with the platform and general "ghost town" problem but ideologically it had some excellent components from comedy clubs, to virtual conferences, to simple sight seeing allowing you to browse a variety of things from stores to museums. I heard SL is adopting the Rift soon and that will be cool although in my opinion I think a similar-featured open network of domain-based (myvrdomain.com) virtual environments will probably win out. It worked for the web so I think it would probably also work for the VR space although there may be significantly less participants than the web considering the difficulty in 3D modeling and engine scripting compared to web development. Still, I think there will be enough participants to allow this open VR web to catch on. Communication is another fantastic feature of VR, especially with the Razer Hydra controllers where even such subtle communication cues like body language come through in conversations. When you speak with a real person that has seemingly physical presence and set of mannerisms it is alarmingly close to replicating the feelings of speaking with someone in real life. Physical conversations are more effective and memorable in certain situations.

The sad part is that even if we have the technology, we might not be able to use it because of psychological effects virtual reality would have on it's players.

Eh I think that sort of thing is in the same group as stuff like jetpacks and lightsabers... the kind of thing humanity just simply wants to exist and will just keep trying until it's figured out. Although the virtual reality will no doubt grow to have other real world uses as well... business meetings, getting to have the best surgeon even though he or she can't get there in person and you can't get to them...

if i can do what they do in sword art online, preferably without the perma irl death, thatd be fucking sweet
    "Brace yourselves, Trolls are coming."
    Signature By: Mythriz

oh if only... lets see... if the technology comes out in the next 40 years i might be able to see it...

i bet you whippersnappers will get to see much better stuff.. but i got to see how everything evolved... there was even a time when there was no internet!!! it was madness.

But yeah!!!

SAO, Hack.Sign, Accel World... here i come!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11111111111111

I really hope i get to see this in my lifetime!
    /Soontobe VR-addict

Quote Originally Posted by OzoAndIndi View Post
    Eh I think that sort of thing is in the same group as stuff like jetpacks and lightsabers... the kind of thing humanity just simply wants to exist and will just keep trying until it's figured out. Although the virtual reality will no doubt grow to have other real world uses as well... business meetings, getting to have the best surgeon even though he or she can't get there in person and you can't get to them...
    http://futuretimeline.net/blog/2013/...m#.UkuVSG-9C84

I'm willing to bet we already have the tech for it, and probably have had for years. The problem is working out all the glitches. And funding for such a project would be astronomical.

Not only that, but a VRMMO (Like SAO or .Hack, Ect) would be held up with world governments. They probably won't allow people to expose themselves to such a thing.
    “It is either easy or impossible.” - Salvador Dali

WoW characters:
    Blitzo[Warrior] -Rex[Hunter] -Jax [Warlock] -
    Gluttony [Mage]

i think it'll be possible one day. the problem though, idk if people will be able to mentally handle it. i don't think i could. walking up and killing someone in gta isn't bad, but doing something like that in a game like this? i couldn't do it.

yeah even if this existed, i wouldnt wanna play it