Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Laize View Post
    And if that turns up sour they can always use a centrifuge to generate centrifugal force (It's a real force from a reference point within a rotating system, goddammit.) though Coriolis forces would probably make you sick.
    Are you thinking of a centripetal force?
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    There are no 2 species that are 100% identical.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redditor
    can you leftist twits just fucking admit that quantum mechanics has fuck all to do with thermodynamics, that shit is just a pose?

Quote Originally Posted by az2d View Post
    you don't think you can approach a planet with a different angle?... or drop out of FTL near the planet, not facing the planet head on. wichever suits you best
    Imagine what would happen if you were off even by a little bit. You could either destroy an entire planet or torpedo yourself into one.

I still can't figure out how White's gonna make a warp bubble to test on! Anyone know what's gong on with his experiment?

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Roose View Post
    America would be in orbit in no time if we said that aliens had weapons of mass destruction.
    They probably do too!

---------- Post added 2013-01-06 at 07:57 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by semaphore View Post
    I still can't figure out how White's gonna make a warp bubble to test on! Anyone know what's gong on with his experiment?
    We're continuing the experiments in our cellar. So far, no luck. We have created magic though.

Quote Originally Posted by Bergtau View Post
    So you're saying that warp bubbles are comparable to cinema?

Teleportation/worm hole travel = using a bridge to cross over something instead of driving around it. Very easy for people to understand. The closest I can think of for warp bubbles is using an escalator instead of the stairs but even that is confusing as it conveys more the idea that you are on something.
    Sounds like wormholes. 3D Space is like an apple and we can only move on the surface. A Wormhole is just like that, you find a way to move through the apple to reach the surface on the other side.
    Atoms are liars, they make up everything!

Any method of traveling faster than light will probably involve dividing by 0.

To get the required energy, all you'd need to do is either obtain dark-matter, or fly through the sun with some super solar-power chargers, and some big ass batteries. No biggie.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=czNxV8wZSnc?t=1m33s
    Computer: Intel I7-3770k @ 4.5GHz | 16GB 1600MHz DDR3 RAM | AMD 7970 GHz @ 1200/1600 | ASUS Z77-V PRO Mobo|

Quote Originally Posted by Noomz View Post
    We're continuing the experiments in our cellar. So far, no luck. We have created magic though.
    Have you developed the conjure cupcakes spell? That will make it all worthwhile!

Quote Originally Posted by Dumbfoundead View Post
    We're all going to die on this rock.
    The ones alive today probably , for the future it might not be so .

Quote Originally Posted by Shadee View Post
    America will surely be the first to go faster than light. USA #1.
    They would already done it, if they werent waging meaningless war for oil.

I can see USA do that only after Money inflation, with a replacement of new currency all over the world.

Deleted
    We do have weapons in orbit now. What do you think astronauts do up there? We can destroy other countries ICBMs over their own air space. America FTW!!!
    you think Americans are the only ones capable of this ?

10+ Year Old Account
    The first "warp drive" I believe humanity will invent will probably take advantage of the Higgs mechanism; (i.e. reducing the interaction of an object with the Higgs field to allow it to violate mass restrictions it would otherwise have). In the very far future.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

How much further could ideas like this go if we put more money and effort into them, instead of feeding Shawanda's 10 kids.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by drwelfare View Post
    How much further could ideas like this go if we put more money and effort into them, instead of feeding Shawanda's 10 kids.
    Blame people who say NASA is a drain on the budget.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    Blame people who say NASA is a drain on the budget.
    It's a whopping...0.3%? something stupidly low anyway. People arguing from a point of pure ignorance and others people's opinions can't be swayed. It's like trying to fill a cup that has no bottom.

I remember reading an article mentioning something about any vessel going faster than the speed of light by warping space, totally obliterating whatever was nearby (in solar terms) due to a build-up of particles of somesort in front of the vessel, which are then all released at once when it enters normal space again. I can't for the life of me find it though.
    Last edited by Theodon; 2013-01-06 at 08:32 PM.
    It's always been Wankershim!
    My Brand!

Quote Originally Posted by Theodon View Post
    It's a whopping...0.3%? something stupidly low anyway. People arguing from a point of pure ignorance and others people's opinions can't be swayed. It's like trying to fill a cup that has no bottom.

I remember reading an article mentioning something about any vessel going faster than the speed of light by warping space, totally obliterating whatever was nearby (in solar terms) due to a build-up of particles of somesort in front of the vessel, which are then all released at once when it enters normal space again. I can't for the life of me find it though.
    Right here, if you can understand anything of that. If I recall there is sum up at the end that is understandable.

http://www.universetoday.com/wp-cont...ised-final.pdf

The region of space behind a super-
    luminally travelling warp bubble is almost entirely de-
    void of forward travelling particles, however it contains
    a sparse distribution of particles with greatly reduced
    energy. Meanwhile the region of space infront of a ship
    decelerating from superluminal velocity to subluminal ve-
    locity is blasted with a concentrated beam of extremely
    high energy particles.
    These results suggest that any ship using an Alcu-
    bierre warp drive carrying people would need shielding
    to protect them from potential dangerously blueshifted
    particles during the journey, and any people at the des-
    tination would be gamma ray and high energy particle
    blasted into oblivion due to the extreme blueshifts for
    P+ region particles.
    Crappy copy+paste...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Morae View Post
    Right here, if you can understand anything of that. If I recall there is sum up at the end that is understandable.

http://www.universetoday.com/wp-cont...ised-final.pdf
    That's the one! Cheers Morae. I'm having trouble getting Acrobat Reader to work from my new SSD so I couldn't read half of the articles in the links to verify it was what I thought it was, but I recognise that summary you've posted.

There are so many dangers with space travel that even going faster than light wouldn't be enough. The effects on our bodies from being in space are numerous, especially from radiation. Big breakthroughs are often only made possible from many smaller ones though, and we are always reading about awesome stuff being developed that could support the big ones.

And I just noticed that what I asked was already mentioned earlier in the thread. Sorry!
    Last edited by Theodon; 2013-01-06 at 10:14 PM.
    It's always been Wankershim!
    My Brand!

The problem with going faster than light is that this isn't star trek. There's no "plot a course mr. sulu" warp 7, engage!

They will go in a straight line, incredibly fast, and even the tiniest piece of debris at that speed will become a bullet fired from a universal gun 500,000 more powerful than anything known to man. A rock the size of a pea would tear apart a ship at that speed.
    Apply blizzards model to any other subscription service,you'd be outraged:
    Netflix adds no new movies for a year, you click a new movie, there's a $5 fee.
    You're in an accident, click your onstar button, but there's an addition $20 fee for them to help.
    You turn on your tv only to find all you get are the infomercial channels. Every other show is pay per view.
    See how dumb that model is?

Light comes from darkness shise's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    America will surely be the first to go faster than light. USA #1.
    You are a year or 2 later... Europe did it already

With particles ofc.

Quote Originally Posted by Garnier Fructis View Post
    Are you thinking of a centripetal force?
    I've taken multiple physics courses. I understand the difference between centripetal and centrifugal force. Centrifugal force is a "fake" force if you're looking at it from an inertial reference point. From a reference point within the rotational system, however, you'll see there is a centrifugal force. It's similar to the Coriolis force.