Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by shise View Post
    You are a year or 2 later... Europe did it already

With particles ofc.
    no they didnt

Quote Originally Posted by Roose View Post
    America would be in orbit in no time if we said that aliens had weapons of mass destruction.
    America is in orbit, don't you remember President Reagen and the star wars project?

Quote Originally Posted by Olo View Post
    no they didnt
    He's referring to the CERN "discovery" of neutrinos that were moving faster than light. It turned out to be nothing more than a glitch in the system. Uncalibrated tools or poorly synchronized timers IIRC.

Either way, even the scientists involved basically said "We think it's a glitch in the system."

Quote Originally Posted by Laize View Post
    I've taken multiple physics courses. I understand the difference between centripetal and centrifugal force. Centrifugal force is a "fake" force if you're looking at it from an inertial reference point. From a reference point within the rotational system, however, you'll see there is a centrifugal force. It's similar to the Coriolis force.
    Oh, I see what you mean. Still, it's only a force that simplifies calculations in a rotating frame. In a non rotating frame, it's not a real force. Centripetal forces are real regardless of what frame of reference you use. That's why we call the centrifugal force a fictitious force.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    There are no 2 species that are 100% identical.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redditor
    can you leftist twits just fucking admit that quantum mechanics has fuck all to do with thermodynamics, that shit is just a pose?

Quote Originally Posted by Rukentuts View Post
    Relativity is a scientific law now? Or is this article poorly written?
    Are you talking about Einstein's relativity?

Quote Originally Posted by Garnier Fructis View Post
    Oh, I see what you mean. Still, it's only a force that simplifies calculations in a rotating frame. In a non rotating frame, it's not a real force. Centripetal forces are real regardless of what frame of reference you use. That's why we call the centrifugal force a fictitious force.
    Coriolis and Euler forces are "fictitious" as well.

Let me ask you, however. If we're talking about a centrifuge in which astronauts can spend time to simulate gravity... as in, they're going to be in a rotating frame of reference... what's easier when designing things within? Calculating a single, centrifugal force? Or worrying about how everything behaves from an outside observer looking in?

And, from within the rotating frame of reference, a centripetal force only exists in response to the centrifugal force (the same way the floor pushes you up in response to gravity pulling you down).

Quote Originally Posted by foil View Post
    You think that other countries dont? Also kind of hard to work on them when only way into space now is with the Russians..

Must suck living in a broke country lol.

Also that guy and girl in ur pic needs to get to hospital to see about their jaundice..
    Broke country... lol. You mean we'd rather spend it on military to whip your ass around a few times at will instead of explore space. Thats more realistic. If we really wanted wealth/gold we would go take it. Like Spanish people owning south americans way back in the day.

Damn europeans and there dreams

Quote Originally Posted by Raybourne View Post
    Are you talking about Einstein's relativity?
    Yeah, I thought it was scientific theory. Not a law like Newton's Laws of Gravity.

Quote Originally Posted by Laize View Post
    Let me ask you, however. If we're talking about a centrifuge in which astronauts can spend time to simulate gravity... as in, they're going to be in a rotating frame of reference... what's easier when designing things within?
    I already said that it simplifies calculations. It's in the post you quoted. I never said that fictitious is bad, I just said it's not real.
    can you leftist twits just fucking admit that quantum mechanics has fuck all to do with thermodynamics, that shit is just a pose?

Quote Originally Posted by Kryos View Post
    Sounds like wormholes. 3D Space is like an apple and we can only move on the surface. A Wormhole is just like that, you find a way to move through the apple to reach the surface on the other side.
    Why do people seem to think they need to explain to me something I just explained while I was explaining why something else is hard to compare to anything in real life.

Quote Originally Posted by howdydiddlydoo View Post
    Inter-galactic space travel within all our life-times is looking like it will become a reality.
    Sometime in the future maybe. Not in our lifetimes, not even close.

10+ Year Old Account
    This is bogus even if it is real. End of story. A single penny being spent on FTL dive research is a complete and total waste at this point in time. The technological and scientific base simply aren't there yet to even realistically consider it.
    And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
    Revelation 6:8

Quote Originally Posted by DEATHETERNAL View Post
    This is bogus even if it is real. End of story. A single penny being spent on FTL dive research is a complete and total waste at this point in time. The technological and scientific base simply aren't there yet to even realistically consider it.
    So you say we wait to research things until the technology to do them is already made.

Well that makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by zorkuus View Post
    Sometime in the future maybe. Not in our lifetimes, not even close.
    Depends entirely upon the breakthroughs we as humans make. If, for instance, we figure out AI's and build some extremely powerful AI's that can then accelerate everything we can do it is possible.

Also remember that we are getting closer and closer to not ever dying, and some people are speculating humans will be effectively immortal by 2040 or so. I personally think that is way early but I'm not an expert in either nanotechnology or biology so I guess we will just see what happens.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    So you say we wait to research things until the technology to do them is already made.

Well that makes sense.
    It boggles my mind how people can completely not understand the concept of the technological base and its constraints on what research can achieve.

Researching FTL drive right now would be like the Romans researching cures for cancer. The Romans could have put all the funding into that instead of their armies, and it would have failed. No matter how much money you dump into it, it simply isn't going to happen if the technological base can’t support its existence.

We could spend taxpayer money researching method to move the planet Earth to another star. It would be a complete waste. Why? Because we don't have the technology to even have a hope to accomplishing something like that for millennia. Same story with FTL drive research. We don't have the technology to even have a chance at succeeding for many lifetimes while the rest of technology advances so researching that specifically is doomed to fail and a waste.

Just throwing funds at some research to find something doesn’t mean you have automatically have a chance of finding it. As such, taking taxpayer money to fund something such as FTL research which is doomed to fail is tantamount to theft.
    And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.

10+ Year Old Account
    It boggles my mind how people can completely not understand the concept of the technological base and its constraints on what research can achieve.

Researching FTL drive right now would be like the Romans researching cures for cancer. The Romans could have put all the funding into that instead of their armies, and it would have failed. No matter how much money you dump into it, it simply isn't going to happen if the technological base can’t support its existence.

We could spend taxpayer money researching method to move the planet Earth to another star. It would be a complete waste. Why? Because we don't have the technology to even have a hope to accomplishing something like that for millennia. Same story with FTL drive research. We don't have the technology to even have a chance at succeeding for many lifetimes while the rest of technology advances so researching that specifically is doomed to fail and a waste.

Just throwing funds at some research to find something doesn’t mean you have automatically have a chance of finding it. As such, taking taxpayer money to fund something such as FTL research which is doomed to fail is tantamount to theft.
    In order to get the technology you need research. You can't get the technology without researching the technology. So if you're waiting for tech to appear without doing something to make it appear, it won't appear.

I really doubt it costs a lot of money for someone to sit down and do mathematics, and for someone else to build a michelson-morley interferometer. The entire budget of NASA last year was .48% of the federal budget. Out of that, I'd bet not even 10% was put towards this. The amount of money NASA gets is already effectively 0% of the federal budget, I'd much prefer money is wasted on this than that massively bloated defense budget we have.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Remilia View Post
    In order to get the technology you need research. You can't get the technology without researching the technology. So if you're waiting for tech to appear without doing something to make it appear, it won't appear.
    Which is why you research technologies that are actually even possibly obtainable to advance the technological base that may eventually make the super advanced, currently impossible to acquire technologies eventually obtainable. You don't jump right into researching the super advanced, currently impossible to acquire technologies.

Quote Originally Posted by Garnier Fructis View Post
    I really doubt it costs a lot of money for someone to sit down and do mathematics, and for someone else to build a michelson-morley interferometer. The entire budget of NASA last year was .48% of the federal budget. Out of that, I'd bet not even 10% was put towards this. The amount of money NASA gets is already effectively 0% of the federal budget, I'd much prefer money is wasted on this than that massively bloated defense budget we have.
    It is only a little waste so it doesn't matter....

Say that a million times and you get the current budget deficit that we have (oh wait, congress already did it for you).
    Last edited by DEATHETERNAL; 2013-01-07 at 07:32 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Which is why you research technologies that are actually even possibly obtainable to advance the technological base that may eventually make the super advanced, currently impossible to aquire technologies eventually obtainable. You don't jump right into researching the super advanced, currently impossible to aquire technologies.
    And researching into this pertains to everything else to obtain this.

While you do have a valid point, you're forgetting one thing. There are many different instances over the course of human history where spending funds to research one form of technology has lead to a discovery, or an increase in efficiency in a completely unrelated field. So while I do agree that the technology base is not there yet for FTL tech, we simply don't know what other discoveries lay under the surface.