Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Virtua View Post
    Wow, didn't take long for people to start insulting Americans again. MMO-Champ never disappoints, so much hate and bigotry that Hitler could fit right in here were he to reincarnate as a forum user/troll.

On topic: I do think we'll see some pretty incredible advances in space travel in our lifetimes. I think people take for granted just how far we've come in the last 20-30 years alone.
    Wow and it didn't take long to make THE Hitler reference..... I guess the internet NEVER disappoints.

Anyway, if this research is successful it would be -THE- advantage of all times in space research. But somehow I highly doubt it will be successful.
    Camilla: You, sir, should unmask.
    Stranger: Indeed?
    Cassilda: Indeed, it's time. We have all laid aside disguise but you.
    Stranger: I wear no mask.
    Camilla: (Terrified, aside to Cassilda.) No mask? No mask!

10+ Year Old Account
    Wow, didn't take long for people to start insulting Americans again. MMO-Champ never disappoints, so much hate and bigotry that Hitler could fit right in here were he to reincarnate as a forum user/troll.
    It's pretty much expected that people will bash Americans on the internet. Even Americans bash Americans on the internet. There are plenty of stupid and/or ignorant people in America; there are also plenty of stupid/ignorant people in every other country on the face of the planet. Only an idiot would take a group of roughly 300 million people and put them into one small, neat category that satisfies their closed mind.

Deleted
    With a Warpdrive you could go faster than light if you use it while already traveling at near-lightspeed. Afaik the fastest we can go is something like 0,0000x % of lightspeed so the Warpdrive wouldnt have much of an effect. I'm no expert though.

Its like inventing/discovering fire and instantly wanting to build a rocket-drive.

Maybe we will live long enough to see a warpdrive actually working and bringing some object from 0,00005% of lightspeed to 0,00010% of lightspeed (which wouldn't be that bad as its already double the velocity), maybe it could even be used to travel to mars (its a big wish of mine to see mankind landing on mars), but faster-than-light traveling will surely take a few hundread years.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Molyneux View Post
    It's pretty much expected that people will bash Americans on the internet. Even Americans bash Americans on the internet. There are plenty of stupid and/or ignorant people in America; there are also plenty of stupid/ignorant people in every other country on the face of the planet. Only an idiot would take a group of roughly 300 million people and put them into one small, neat category that satisfies their closed mind.
    I might have missed it but did anyone insult americans at all?
    Although I have to say with that second post right at the first page it was kinda tempting

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by semaphore View Post
    It's a terrible analogy because it's bashing NASA while completely failing to understand what NASA's doing. This is more like Romans researching what herbs can help sick people deal with nausea.
    It definitely ignores everything outlined in the Technology Roadmaps I posted, as well as the National Research Council's oversight, findings, and recommendations.

All of the areas of advanced and breakthrough propulsion research (to which this little experiment belongs) have been assigned the lowest possible priority by the NRC panel.

Finally, the category of Advanced (TRL<3) Propulsion Technologies is ranked low because, even though success in developing any of these technologies would be “gamechanging” in every possible sense, it is highly unlikely that any of the approaches described in the roadmaps will materialize in the next 20 to 30 years. However, this low ranking of such advanced concepts should not be interpreted as a recommendation to eliminate them from NASA’s portfolio. The panel recommends that the National Institute for Advanced Concepts provide a low level of funding for this category of low TRL, very-high-risk technologies.
    In other words, NIAC is being directed to toss out discretionary funds on a per-case basis. It's a seriously scaled-back version of the grants they already award.

10+ Year Old Account

On topic: I do think we'll see some pretty incredible advances in space travel in our lifetimes. I think people take for granted just how far we've come in the last 20-30 years alone.
    Yeah, glad the first two pages were people bashing the US.
    Putin khuliyo

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    We dont even have flying cars yet ill believe it when i see it.

Grunt
    10+ Year Old Account
    It will be a while yet, but it would be amazing if they are able to do it!

It's probably the best case scenario for breaking the problem with relativity and the mass approaching infinity problem with approaching light speed.

Now if we only could actually find some of the "exotic" matter needed to actually do it....

Which, by the way, we really don't know for sure exists ;p
    The most successful tyranny is not the one that uses force to assure uniformity but the one that removes the awareness of other possibilities.