Page 33 of 33 FirstFirst ...
    Deleted
    Because schools today teach kids to worship science like religion.
    So if today science sez its impossible, then thats what most of the kids will believe.

Simple as that.

Science has become religion for many, and if you attack it they defend it. Just like someone would defend Islam/Christianity/whatever.

Deep^ .

if i remember stuff i learned during my high school days i think only particles that have no mass can travel with speed of light, since photons are made of energy then they travel with speed of light. Only objects in space that have speed thats "close" to speed of light are Quasars, and i think fastest move 1/3 of light speed.
    "

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ShamanTankFTW View Post
    Didn't NASA just make a statement not too long ago that they were in the process of creating/theorycrafting (whatever the term is) something that would take them faster than light speed? Would look for a link but I am too lazy. I know they mentioned not too long ago; go look it up.

---------- Post added 2013-01-09 at 05:19 AM ----------

Uhh, I would assume non-pimitive?
    The Alcubierre Drive? It doesn't actually make you travel through space faster than the speed of light. It warps space around the vessel to move it from one point to another faster than light could. It's theoretically workable, but you'd have to get your hands on some exotic matter for the ring, and we're unaware of any exotic matter we could use for it right now.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ShamanTankFTW View Post
    Didn't NASA just make a statement not too long ago that they were in the process of creating/theorycrafting (whatever the term is) something that would take them faster than light speed?
    NASA made no statement on the subject. The idea first got publicized after it was discussed at a symposium in Houston last September.
    As I've written, it's been blown out of proportion.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Woebegone View Post
    This thread has grown way too fast for me to keep up with my sporadic posting habits, but I just had to pick this one out. Anyone here got any idea what would actually happen?

Asteroids hit the atmosphere at something like 0,01% c (ballpark), so we can't even use those as a reference. My guess is that something moving at 50%c would hit the atmosphere so fast that air might as well be solid matter. Any kind of heat shielding would be utterly pointless, no matter how advanced your tech is, you'd just disintegrate in a chain of fusion explosions somewhere in the upper atmosphere, maybe engulfing half the planet in a ball of fire and radiation as you go. Actually the carbon fiber compounds we currently use for heat shielding might even make things worse.

(hey, this is still remotely related to light speed...)
    "8:43 AM - Semaphore: Say that if a spaceship hits Earth at relativistic speeds, it'll be smashing into air molecules so fast that it causes nuclear fusion, turning the atmosphere into plasma. The ship would probably completely disintegrate before it hits the ground, but it'll still hit Earth as one massive sphere of fiery death. Depending on the size of the spaceship, if large enough it'll probably be enough to crater an area the size of Oklahoma directly and wipe out all life on Earth"
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/PizzaSHARK
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Cailan Ebonheart View Post
    I also do landscaping on weekends with some mexican kid that I "hired". He's real good because he's 100% obedient to me and does everything I say while never complaining. He knows that I am the man in the relationship and is completely submissive towards me as he should be.
    Quote Originally Posted by SUH View Post
    Crissi the goddess of MMO, if i may. ./bow

Quote Originally Posted by stfouri View Post
    Because schools today teach kids to worship science like religion.
    So if today science sez its impossible, then thats what most of the kids will believe.

Simple as that.

Science has become religion for many, and if you attack it they defend it. Just like someone would defend Islam/Christianity/whatever.

Deep^ .
    Not really, unless it was implied irony.
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

Deleted
    i gues light is the fastest thing we can observe and it would be hard to measure something we can't observe

10+ Year Old Account
    Linearly the spead of light is considered the fastest we can go. However, since space in some theories is considered to be rippled or curved or even folding, it is possible to perhaps use worm holes (if we can sustain them) to stravel to other parts in the universe many many times faster than the speed of light would take to get there.