Page 1 of 7
... LastLast

A VERY simple solution for the problem of bots and botting in general.

Remove "click-to-move". That's all it would take to kill 90% of the botting population.

Most mainstream (ie. readily available for download for around 10 dollars) bots and gliders for WoW use click-to-move to navigate the game world, in addition to heavily scripted macros. Without this function, it would be nigh-impossible to create any efficient botting programs, and thus less people would be exploiting the game. This is due to the fact that bots which try and navigate using keystrokes often / nearly always get stuck / lost / killed.

Furthermore, I've NEVER seen or met a player who actually uses this functionality (I've been playing since early 2007), so I don't think it would be that big of a deal for the players themselves.

Thoughts? Why hasn't Blizzard realized this? Surely it's easier than plowing through reports and tickets and individually banning people...

Deleted
    i didnt know they used click to move. i dont see any reason for this being in the game, i dont think anyone has ever used this feature, except for botting. i dont see why this feature is even in wow.

Deleted
    used it for the quests in shadowmoon valley to be able to speak to the flying dragon, but havent used it since...

I know some really I mean really bad players that use click to move...

Deleted
    have you posted this on the official forums?

I guess I'm too technically dumb to understand how this would kill bots, but /signed.

10+ Year Old Account
    My girlfriend (who raids with me) uses click to move. I doubt she's the only legit player to do so. You can't punish a minority of fair players to punish a majority of unfair players in a way that would not guarantee the bots would stop to function.

How DO you "Click-To-Move".. ? =o

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Nemesiz View Post
    How DO you "Click-To-Move".. ? =o
    Like in Diablo or pretty much any similar game.

Quote Originally Posted by AndyF1069 View Post
    My girlfriend (who raids with me) uses click to move. I doubt she's the only legit player to do so. You can't punish a minority of fair players to punish a majority of unfair players in a way that would not guarantee the bots would stop to function.
    I really don't think it's a small minority anymore though, once you look for it you start to notice things, like half of your battleground groups being bots / everyone mining in Pandaria being bots / a lot of dungeon groups being run by bots...

Deleted
    i really dont believe anyone legitimately uses click to move.

10+ Year Old Account
    Its far more complicated than this. Exponentially so.

If there was an easy solution Blizz would have done it by now. Even if click-to-move was the primary culprit, these bots can still target, execute spell/sequence macros, etc.

And the worst part is, these bot programs evolve and grow more complex right alongside the game, which means Blizz is always fighting an uphill battle. One of their blues compared it to anti-virus stuff... every time the antivirus guys update, the dicks writing the viruses make new ones to get around said update.

10+ Year Old Account
    Another thing to point out is that just because no bots use regular moving doesn't mean they never will. Bots are ever evolving and the fight is never ending. So if a gigantic minority of fair players give up their play scheme for "the greater good", what do you say to them once the bots get around the limitations?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Swineflew View Post
    I guess I'm too technically dumb to understand how this would kill bots, but /signed.

well apparently a lot of the bots use the click to move feature, disable this and they cant use it. i though the bots were just set to follow a set path. i had about 20 in isle of conq the other day, all ran exactly same path round the map, all stopped at same time

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyF1069 View Post
    Pretty much this here. It's Blackstone's formulation that you're probably looking for, "better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer". Click to move, I'm sure, is an accessibility feature, and the only way you can really play with one hand unless the player has an elaborate keybind/macro setup or a special controller (like the G13 or Nostromo). The OPs idea, while with good intention, ends up taking down good people with it.

Quote Originally Posted by peggleftw View Post
    well apparently a lot of the bots use the click to move feature, disable this and they cant use it. i though the bots were just set to follow a set path. i had about 20 in isle of conq the other day, all ran exactly same path round the map, all stopped at same time
    I've seen people during my High School years use these bots, and they use coordinates and scripts which feed into the Click-to-move function.
    ie. Bot macro emulates a mouse click at coordinate X: 23,23,43 Y: 43,89,34 in Ghostlands, and off the bot goes. It eliminates input lag as well as general latency, which is why these bots have become so damn efficient. I really think removing this function would solve the problem for a good 6-8 months at least (until some evil genious figures out a way around it)

Click-to-move is a feature that doesn't get too much use but can be quite obligatory for those who need it or prefer to use it. Simply removing it would not be a good idea. Even limiting accessibility to it is not a sophisticated solution or the ultimate fix to the problem. There would be ways around such a change and the feature is being used because it's just about the easiest of the alternatives.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by peggleftw View Post
    i didnt know they used click to move. i dont see any reason for this being in the game, i dont think anyone has ever used this feature, except for botting. i dont see why this feature is even in wow.
    It's a relic from the past...Consider that wow launched in 2004 after MANY years of development...During those years, click-to-move was still used a lot...That's why it's in the game.

Deleted
    There are millions of people who use click to move! You might as well say "remove keybindings from the game"! Yeah maybe it would annoy the bots a bit but subscription numbers of real players would be cut in half if they did this so it hardly makes business sense, now does it?

Let's say hypothetically that Blizzard removes "click-to-move" from the game; you're still vastly underestimating the people who have designed these bots. They're excellent programmers. They'd find something else to make their bots viable.