Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by peggleftw View Post
    i dont see any reason for this being in the game, i dont think anyone has ever used this feature, except for botting.
    People with reduced mobility in their limbs use this feature... Any benefit of removing click to move will be temporary. The effect on people who actually need it to be able to play would be permanent. This is a really bad idea.

I use click-to-move on flying mounts for long stretches. I guess, I could use auto-run but it's a little more annoying to get the z-axis pitch right first.

Deleted
    As has been said, this is an accessibility feature and might be used by gamers who are one-armed, use a head-mouse, lack the strength to continually depress a key etc. There should be more rather than fewer features like this.

Plus I doubt (though I'm a complete layman) that this would trouble the bot coders too much. I sometimes run into farming bots and I'm often surprised by what they can handle. E.g. I used to "compete" with a bot farming cathedral of darkness in Icecrown (I expect it was after cloth - I did it for RAF xp). He would follow any Chosen Zealot (the mobs there) so I would aggro a bunch and use those mobs to kite the bot away. The first time I just ran halfway across IC in a straight line. No problem for the bot - he got on his flying mount and flew straight back into the CoD. Then I tried kiting it into various places he could get stuck in, but to no avail: the bot could get out of any cul-de-sac and navigate any obstacle. I managed to get it stuck once, but then it hearthed out and was back at work shortly afterwards (though I suspect that may have involved operator assistance).

i use it as a monk, means you can change direction mid roll
    1) Load the amount of weight I would deadlift onto the bench
    2) Unrack
    3) Crank out 15 reps
    4) Be ashamed of constantly skipping leg day

Deleted
    OP is right in that it would make botting movement incredibly complicated.

That's a great idea and I've thought about that too. Why not Blizzard, it's so simple, right? Well no, because the 90% of bots will die off. That's 90% of the botting population, and I'm going to take a wild guess and say that at least 30% if not more of the population use bots. 30% of 10m subscribers is 3m which equals to about $45m a month. Blizzard doesn't want to lose that much. That's why they let the bots who just do bgs and farm maybe a little a day like an hour pass. They only ban the extreme users that make millions off of it.

Why not just put in a captcha when you are about to join a PvP? And if you screw up twice you get a debuff which won't let you join one for 15-30 minutes.

Do you really want to do a Captcha to join a BG lol?

10+ Year Old Account
    Your idea is awful, i use click to move all the time. Diablo3 was designed around click to move, there isnt even wsad movement in that game. It'll never happen.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by bionics View Post
    Let's say hypothetically that Blizzard removes "click-to-move" from the game; you're still vastly underestimating the people who have designed these bots. They're excellent programmers. They'd find something else to make their bots viable.
    Any chance to make botters squirm like the maggots they are should be taken.

As for "click-to-move," I'm dubious as to how many people its removal would affect... and even more dubious as to the number of legitimate players who simply COULD NOT survive using the mouse to steer or arrow keys/WASD.

I say do it, slam the game with it suddenly, instate something that watches for continued attempted use of click-to-move commands... after a certain threshold (so legitimate players trying it when they first log in after the change aren't punished for it,) the person is automatically hit with a ban.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by peggleftw View Post
    i didnt know they used click to move. i dont see any reason for this being in the game, i dont think anyone has ever used this feature, except for botting. i dont see why this feature is even in wow.
    They don't, bot software is so advanced they can do anything a normal player would do except react to unexpected situations (and even those can be programmed if they go far enough. Bot programs usually are kept simple because less commands = less chance on error.

Quote Originally Posted by Keoren View Post
    Click-to-move is a feature that doesn't get too much use but can be quite obligatory for those who need it or prefer to use it.
    This. There are a lot of people who depend on click-to-move because of physical limitations. Removing it from the game would cause these people to be unable to play it, and bot designers would just find a way around it anyway.

actually alot of multiboxers uses click to move on "extra" chars. This would make it ALOT harder for them.
    aswell as the fact that a few people actually use click to move. personally, I turn in on from time to time when I am leveling alts etc, and doing something that requires my other hand.

The Lightbringer GKLeatherCraft's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Spinachsandwich View Post
    Your idea is awful, i use click to move all the time. Diablo3 was designed around click to move, there isnt even wsad movement in that game. It'll never happen.
    What does there not being a wsad movement in Diablo 3 got to do with WoW? lol, oh, Nothing -.-'

OT i have used Click to move, i found it one day and used it for maybe 2hours before stopping lol, But i'm sure there must be people who need it, or just like it better

Quote Originally Posted by AndyF1069 View Post
    My girlfriend (who raids with me) uses click to move. I doubt she's the only legit player to do so. You can't punish a minority of fair players to punish a majority of unfair players in a way that would not guarantee the bots would stop to function.
    You indirectly punish a majority of players by letting bots roam free, if the small fraction of players who uses click-to-move are too horrible to adapt... their loss?
    Quote Originally Posted by kbarh View Post
    may i suggest you check out wowwiki or any similar site, it's Grom that orders the murder of Cairne

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mekh View Post
    I use click-to-move on flying mounts for long stretches. I guess, I could use auto-run but it's a little more annoying to get the z-axis pitch right first.
    While flying, if you touch off the top of a mountain (or run off of one,) it will automatically set your Z-axis straight.

Quote Originally Posted by Grifter
    There are a lot of people who depend on click-to-move because of physical limitations.
    Maybe I don't fully grasp the physical limitations of these people, but you can run anywhere you want using only the mouse by holding down the right and left buttons at the same time...
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

I'm 50/50 when it comes to bots in all honesty. I definitely don't think Blizzard should ever allow them, but when I go the AH and see Hundreds of stacks of Green Leaf Tea (example) listed for 20g or less, I just say a quiet thankyou to those botters undecutting each other, buy them all and make a hefty profit.

I can understand peoples frustrations with bots, I really can, but I hope people realize that (on most servers anyway) most gathering mats are posted by bots, and to remove them would result in a serious under-supply and thus vast price inflation. Perhaps some people would take to farming again if it became more lucritive, but I still don't see supply keeping up with demand.

Once again, I'm not here to support botting (at all), but I am realistic about it and truth be told, I've never actually had a bad experience with them apart from perhaps in the odd BG where my side is dominated with bots who don't really contribute so we get rolled....

As for Click to Move, I actually use it quite often. When I end up doing dailies on my Laptop I can be a hardout "clicker" instead of using the tiny keyboard (I carry a mouse with me). So I just click to move, then click my skills. It would be horrible for anything but dailies, but that's all I ever use it for.

Just my 2c

Quote Originally Posted by wolphe View Post
    actually alot of multiboxers uses click to move on "extra" chars. This would make it ALOT harder for them.
    aswell as the fact that a few people actually use click to move. personally, I turn in on from time to time when I am leveling alts etc, and doing something that requires my other hand.
    By the looks of it, most people either don't care much for multiboxers or outright dislike them because they don't consider multiboxing to be fair, especially in BGs.
    Blizzard doesn't prohibit multiboxing, but they don't support it either so the "multiboxers need it" argument is probably a fairly weak one. It's the disabled people and the actual effectiveness of this move that would truly matter in making a decision to remove this feature.

That said, if this extremely simple measure would indeed have such a significant impact on botting, then it's very likely Blizzard has already thought it about it and thought better of it for some reason.
    Last edited by Creotor; 2013-01-06 at 09:53 PM.

Because what if i want runescape nostalgia!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Somebodyelse View Post
    It's a relic from the past...Consider that wow launched in 2004 after MANY years of development...During those years, click-to-move was still used a lot...That's why it's in the game.
    Or instead of a 'relic'it was a feature because blizzard made a game that also disabled persons can use, like other functions we 'normal' people never use in the game.