Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aftonflickan View Post
    Remove "click-to-move". That's all it would take to kill 90% of the botting population.

Most mainstream (ie. readily available for download for around 10 dollars) bots and gliders for WoW use click-to-move to navigate the game world, in addition to heavily scripted macros. Without this function, it would be nigh-impossible to create any efficient botting programs, and thus less people would be exploiting the game. This is due to the fact that bots which try and navigate using keystrokes often / nearly always get stuck / lost / killed.

Furthermore, I've NEVER seen or met a player who actually uses this functionality (I've been playing since early 2007), so I don't think it would be that big of a deal for the players themselves.

Thoughts? Why hasn't Blizzard realized this? Surely it's easier than plowing through reports and tickets and individually banning people...
    You are incredibly misinformed not only on bots, but also on programming.

Do you really think that removing one type of movement control will actually make it so bots will never ever come back? It's just one movement control type. Devs who chose to use CTM did it for efficiency. If that gets taken away, they go back to good old key emulation. How much time will that take to code in? I'd say probably the same time it takes them when a major patch comes out.

So aside from making legit users mad, it will accomplish absolutely nothing. Everything will be back at square one.

How about removing arrow-based, or WASD movement? Or movement itself, for that matter. After all, bots move, don't they? If we prevent them from moving, we'll kill them, right?

I know, that line of reasoning is awfully stupid. Yet it's the very same line of reasoning your suggestion uses.

Quote Originally Posted by Basic Fail View Post
    Removing this "Click-To-Move" will not solve anything in the long term, they will just find a new way.

What Blizzard should do is keep track of how many times a person uses Click-To-Move.
    Then after a random number between let say 500 to 1000 that account gets flagged, and after lets say 5000 it gets automatically banned for a short amount of time. The higher their "Click-To-Move"-number goes the longer the ban they get.

I'm sure this can be a safe way to pick out most (if not all) of the bots, if they add some "fail-safe" methods the people who are using "Click-To-Move" (I can't imagine why anyone would use that all the time) will not be flagged.
    disability?
    1) Load the amount of weight I would deadlift onto the bench
    2) Unrack
    3) Crank out 15 reps
    4) Be ashamed of constantly skipping leg day

I use this feature all the time when herbing and mining, i can sit back and play one handed. fly around in the standard way. then when i see a nod, click the node and it flies me down. i also use it when levelling alts without flying and travelling long distance. see where i need to be in the distance, click on the ground and off i go. i think its great for being lazy! although a pain in the arse when i forget to turn it off when raiding.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Basic Fail View Post
    Removing this "Click-To-Move" will not solve anything in the long term, they will just find a new way.

What Blizzard should do is keep track of how many times a person uses Click-To-Move.
    Then after a random number between let say 500 to 1000 that account gets flagged, and after lets say 5000 it gets automatically banned for a short amount of time. The higher their "Click-To-Move"-number goes the longer the ban they get.

I'm sure this can be a safe way to pick out most (if not all) of the bots, if they add some "fail-safe" methods the people who are using "Click-To-Move" (I can't imagine why anyone would use that all the time) will not be flagged.
    That's flat out stupid. You'd hinder those using CTM, and basically put a "death toll" on their heads, solely for a feature that can be removed by bot devs if needed be?

Let's say this gets implemented. Bot devs get wind of it. They change it back to keystroke emulation. Bots are free to go, CTM users are screwed because the genius who thought of this idea lacked any sort of foresight whatsoever.

Back at square one, problem not solved. Also, just because you can't imagine why someone would use this regularly doesn't mean there's no reason. You're not omniscient.
    Last edited by marthsk; 2013-01-06 at 10:11 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dakara View Post
    I'm sorry, but Epic /Facepalm

Why do people compare WOW to real life? I mean honestly, that's just retarded. Yes, I cash in (virtual currency) on bots.... as does anyone (intentionally or otherwise) who buys mats from the AH to make a profit. That's hardly even in the same league as what you've described.

"Oh hey, you enjoy killing things ingame, you must be a serial killer!"

I mean come on people.... really?! I know WOW's addictive, but it is not real life! If ingame we were supposed to mirror real life morality the only games we'd be playing would be farmville and a heavily censored version of the sims.

Bots have always and will always exist in MMO's, instead of complaining, adapt.
    You very obviously chose to ignore the actual point of what I said, "I don't believe immoral actions providing some minor benefit excuses said immoral actions." I was simply drawing a similar real life parallel to accompany it; I didn't think it would be all that difficult.

Botting is against the rules. The focus should be eliminating the thing violating the rules, not "playing along" with it. I could give half a damn if the cost of "green tea leaves" went up by five or ten gold because a cheater got what was coming to them.
    Last edited by Kaleredar; 2013-01-06 at 10:36 PM.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Remove "click-to-move". That's all it would take to kill 90% of the botting population.

Most mainstream (ie. readily available for download for around 10 dollars) bots and gliders for WoW use click-to-move to navigate the game world, in addition to heavily scripted macros. Without this function, it would be nigh-impossible to create any efficient botting programs, and thus less people would be exploiting the game. This is due to the fact that bots which try and navigate using keystrokes often / nearly always get stuck / lost / killed.

Furthermore, I've NEVER seen or met a player who actually uses this functionality (I've been playing since early 2007), so I don't think it would be that big of a deal for the players themselves.

Thoughts? Why hasn't Blizzard realized this? Surely it's easier than plowing through reports and tickets and individually banning people...
    Quote Originally Posted by peggleftw View Post
    i didnt know they used click to move. i dont see any reason for this being in the game, i dont think anyone has ever used this feature, except for botting. i dont see why this feature is even in wow.
    Quote Originally Posted by peggleftw View Post
    well apparently a lot of the bots use the click to move feature, disable this and they cant use it. i though the bots were just set to follow a set path. i had about 20 in isle of conq the other day, all ran exactly same path round the map, all stopped at same time
    There we go, post bullshit on a website and people will begin to believe it as truth without any proof.

15+ Year Old Account
    Click to move is how you can fly towards a point on the horizon. Remove it and I'd probably quit playing. I'm not even kidding.

No it's not my "default" movement (like on foot/in combat), but it is so nice when mounted and just headed 'generally over there' so you don't have to sit there steering and holding W.

No please.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tribunal View Post
    Click to move is how you can fly towards a point on the horizon. Remove it and I'd probably quit playing. I'm not even kidding.

No it's not my "default" movement (like on foot/in combat), but it is so nice when mounted and just headed 'generally over there' so you don't have to sit there steering and holding W.

No please.
    You can hit num lock and accomplish the same thing
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    You can hit num lock and accomplish the same thing
    yeah, but... Z axis...
    1) Load the amount of weight I would deadlift onto the bench
    2) Unrack
    3) Crank out 15 reps
    4) Be ashamed of constantly skipping leg day

or make this game fun again

btw, not all bot use clic to move

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by marthsk View Post
    That's flat out stupid. You'd hinder those using CTM, and basically put a "death toll" on their heads, solely for a feature that can be removed by bot devs if needed be?

Let's say this gets implemented. Bot devs get wind of it. They change it back to keystroke emulation. Bots are free to go, CTM users are screwed because the genius who thought of this idea lacked any sort of foresight whatsoever.

Back at square one, problem not solved. Also, just because you can't imagine why someone would use this regularly doesn't mean there's no reason. You're not omniscient.
    Whether Blizzard removes Click-To-Move or not, bots will either keep using CTM or find a way around it.
    If they would track(flag) everyone that uses CTM after 500-1000 clicks in lets say 24 hours they already have a good chance that character is botting. IF the account/character has 5000 CTM-clicks in lets say 100 hours it is pretty much confirmed that character is botting.

My whole point was to scare everyone that uses those programs so that they are too afraid bot as all of the sudden they are getting banned relative quickly.
    Sure they might go back to keystroke emulation or whatever else they come up with, but before they realize what is causing all the bans most of them should have stopped by then.

Yes, some people use CTM, but do they really use it 500 times in 24 hours?
    How many people can not hold both their mouse buttons to move?
    How many people can not move with arrow keys or WASD?
    How many people can not turn auto-run on?

How many people do only move with Click-To-Move? As that would be the only way to get your "CTM-clicks" up to a high number to get flagged.

Yes, I've used CTM myself a few times just out of curiosity and YES I do find that option useful in certain (rare) situations.

Again, my point was to catch the botters and ban them as soon as possible to scare them off.
    Blizzard can and should tweak my numbers if they want to use my or a similar method as they have more information than I have.

Deleted
    Not all bots are bad for the game. And judging by ban reports Blizzard thinks the same too.

I use click to move but only on a flying mount when I click in the sky for traveling long distances.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    You very obviously chose to ignore the actual point of what I said, "I don't believe immoral actions providing some minor benefit excuses said immoral actions." I was simply drawing a similar real life parallel to accompany it; I didn't think it would be all that difficult.

Botting is against the rules. The focus should be eliminating the thing violating the rules, not "playing along" with it. I could give half a damn if the cost of "green tea leaves" went up by five or ten gold because a cheater got what was coming to them.
    No I didn't.

You very clearly compared me buying AH mats from bots on the AH to those profiting from deplorable labour conditions which is why I said RL =/= WOW.

But if you're so morally outraged by bot, then you probably don't buy anything from the AH at all right?

Do you really think that moving with the "keys" is an insurmountable coding challenge?

The people who write bots are really good at it. Removing click to move would barely slow them down.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Deleted
    Some bots work by simulating the keyboards strokes for inputs, have nothing to do with the click to move.

If you think that removing a feature is it something that will stop the thousands of very smart and intelligent people in making bots software you don't know much about the issue.

Deleted
    I find it amusingly funny how all the VERY SIMPLE SOLUTIONS people come up with in these forums, are nothing but punishments on legit players.
    Let's punish people who like CTM games so they use it in WoW and people with disabilities by removing it, that will make bot makers code for an extra night.
    Let's punish normal players that do BGs by adding capthas every time they join a BG, and at random intervals too if they're out of combat, that won't freaking annoy anyone, and be detected by bots as well.
    Let's also give players the ability to right click someone and vote for an account ban, I'm also sure no one will abuse that.

Seriously, is it too hard for you to understand that if this was simple to fix, it would have been fixed already? Ridiculous.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Eskobar View Post
    Seriously, is it too hard for you to understand that if this was simple to fix, it would have been fixed already? Ridiculous.
    much easier to come up with conspiration theories. :>

Deleted
    And by doing that they would close the game for some disabled people who only can move with clicking. think about that.