As far as people continuing to play Starcraft even though there was nothing new for over a decade, the RTS genre is an entirely different beast. Starcraft continued to be played heavily thanks to being turned into an e-sport largely by Korean players. RTS games are not like MMORPGs in which you are constantly striving to progress a character and even be told an evolving story depending on the type of MMORPG it is. Without being given new heights on a consistent basis you're left with nothing to look forward to. No new progression. This is also a different period of time. There are a lot more options now then ever before for players who are tired of a game. I can almost guarantee you that if WoW stopped putting out expansions its playerbase would plummet. You would still have people around, definitely, but it would be nothing like what it is now. Blizzard will continue to put out expansions because it actually IS necessary for them to do so if they wish to keep raking in the cash on a game they already know is a success. The game is very old by MMO standards so it wouldn't stand where its at for long if nothing new was around the corner.
WoW is definitely a juggernaut of an MMO but its an aging one that is going to need constant attention to stay running unless Blizzard wants to see the bulk of its playerbase migrate to the newer models like Guild Wars 2 and The Elder Scrolls Online, assuming it's the great MMO people are expecting. Of course, I could be ENTIRELY WRONG and sit amazed as WoW continues to have millions upon millions of players even after nothing new has come out for five to ten years.
2) If you don't like MoP I'm willing to bet you won't like any future WoW expansions.
---------- Post added 2013-02-18 at 01:52 AM ----------
"Wrath of the Gnome King".
After the gnomes already got there Home back,.- the Gnome King is rising in a future of Blink Blink and Pink Hair.
Last edited by Deex; 2013-02-18 at 06:49 AM. Reason: spell
- I may be bad, but I'm perfectly good at it. -
[DE] WOW Forums Char: http://eu.battle.net/wow/de/search?f...ldor&sort=time
[DE] D3 Forums Char: http://eu.battle.net/d3/de/search?f=...2545&sort=time
......I hope they increase the level cap to 101 just to shut up the people saying wow sill end at 100.
Art by breathing2004
http://www.youtube.com/user/TastyGameHub<< Youtube channel http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5mgoQ...0&feature=plcp<< INSANE DAYZ SHOT Armory Alt
I love these discussions even though most of this was MoP bashing/defending.
1. Wraihion hints at a danger coming from outside of Azeroth during the legendary questline. The only outside force in WoW lore (that I know of) is the Burning Legion. Weren't the Draenie fleeing the Burning Legion when they crash landed on the alliance? Seems an invasion is coming that should unite the Alliance and the Horde for common purpose.
2. Finally I don't think Sargeras will come to Azeroth. So open a gate and the players go to him. This allows another expansion with an other entire world full of bad guys.
Now for some more controversial ideas.
1. The effect on the environment from the goblins and the draenie for example creates a new problem.
2. Outlands needs to fixed. Players are going back and forth in time, there needs to be a fix.
3. Next race will be the species indigent to the home world of sargeras or where ever we fight the burning legion.
4. Next class demon hunter. If Blizz is going all in on the burning legion scenario, then a demon hunter (a hybrid mixed ranged/tank) is an easy choice.
5. Smooth out the leveling for accounts with multiple max level characters. At least make it optional to a point. I might level a warrior if I didn't have to spend the time plowing through vanilla, BC, Wrath and finally Cata content. It would be my 10th loop through that content. Sorry just not interested.
6. Single player instances. Face it some people don't like groups. Brawlers Guild is the start of this. See more of it in the next expansion.
7. Revamp the old Vanilla and BC instances that are lore related to the next expansion. Create heroic versions revamp the fight mechanics update the hit points ect.
Last edited by Woeful; 2013-02-18 at 04:04 PM.
Unsubscribed as of 03/10/2014.
If you dislike where WoW is headed in your mind, quit. Really. Sitting around complaining about "promises" that may or may not have been made isn't doing anything to help your cause. It's just making you look more and more like the constantly complaining and perpetually offended.
Yes, those dailies were 'optional' if you wanted a cool flying mount. Cool stuff doesn't have the pull it once had. We all have cool stuff.
I think level 100 may have been in the plans at some point. An original plus four expansions. In 2004 that would have been a home run. Even Blizz could not have anticipated that WoW would stay relevant 8+ years later.
Now, its just a matter of money. Years ago they decided that the expansions may have to be more or less infinite. Thus you will have story lines that more or less fold back on themselves.
Burning legion -- We faced them in BC, we can do it again.
Wrath -- The guy who took Artheas' place. No one said that he could control the scourge forever. Let an old world god start talking in his ear and lets see what happens.
Forsaken -- Still don't know what makes a Forsaken a Forsaken. Make it more successful this time.
Sha -- The sha are a part of "human nature". The theme can come up in every expansion from now on.
the only time the number 100 has come up and where all the "100 IS TEH LAS MAN" rumors come from is back during an interview right around the time wrath was launching where someone asked the devs how far they see adding levels onto wow. they replied with "we wanna go to ATLEAST 100"
key word is atleast. which means that that is the MINIMUM of what they want not anywhere near the max.
"I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
"so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon
Once Blizzard saw the game was here to stay. Four expansions made sense from a planning stance. A small group of writers and developers going into a room and mapping out the ideas for four expansions would make sense.
Now I agree -- 100 is simply a number. So long as the game makes money, they will keep pumping out content, which obviously means 100+.
Next WoW expansion? whoa.. calm down there laddie. MoP hasn't been out for more than 6 months and people are already talking about the next expansion. I'm not trying to be an arse, but don't you think Blizzard has got far more important stuff to do than just releasing another expansion?
Update character models. Give us more hair/beard styles. Especially beards. Updating the graphics wouldn't hurt either. Updating old zones wouldn't hurt either.
That being said, if Blizzard is going to release a new expansion (I'm 99% sure they will) it's probably gonna have to do something with The Burning Legion and Sargeras. I'd also like to see some of the unanswered stuff. e.g. the Puzzle Box of Yogg-Saron
The whole Ny'alotha concept makes me wonder what it actually could be. Is it a reference to Nazjatar, capital city of the Naga? Are there other unknown Old God(s) in Azeroth? nobody knows...
Honestly if it's the Burning Legion, I think we'd see a Tinker class instead of a Demon Hunter class.
Why? Because Demons have some crazy mechanical machines, and I can just imagine the Horde and the Alliance going full speed ahead with industrialized weapons and armies to combat it.
If at the end of the MoP, the horde and the alliance come to some sort of balance -- which in turn ends the sha, when that balance goes away, the Sha can return in all sorts of nasty ways.
The point however was broader. Hate, Doubt, Anger and Fear are infinitely repeatable.