View Poll Results: Have you tried Shark Fin Soup before?

Voters
184. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    18 9.78%
  • No, but would like to try

    26 14.13%
  • No, totally against it

    140 76.09%
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ...
2
3
4
5
6
... LastLast
  1. #61
    yurano, i understand your counterpoint, but forgive me if im wrong, but it seems like it really is mostly asian countries that prize animal parts off of PROTECTED species, which then fuels poaching and the decline of said animal's population. Such as elephants and their ivory, rhinos, tigers for their bones / skin, ect. Although i do know us Americans are just as guilty by buying ivory products, although i think thats been outlawed.

  2. #62
    I don't mind the fact that they want shark fins, it's the fact how they treat the animal afterwards.

    I've had shark fin soup while I was in China and it's not bad, but yeah, just a shame about the methods.

  3. #63
    Completely disagree with what their doing, but at the same time I won't lie, if a bowl was put in front of me to try, I would try it, its not like by not eating it, that shark is suddenly restored,

  4. #64
    Quote Originally Posted by muto View Post
    Shark FIN? No thanks. I might try shark meat though just to see what it tastes like. Wasting all that shark meat like that is absurd.
    Other parts of the shark contain too much phosphorus, it's poisonous when consumed too much.

  5. #65
    Quote Originally Posted by Cattaclysmic View Post
    One should almost launch a campaign to the Asian continent. Giving them free medicine and telling them to stay the fuck away from the those "natural" "medicines" - were are running out of rhinos and other endangered animals fast because of them...
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...mals_of_Europe Not even going to go into the extinctions caused by Europeans in N, S America and Australia.

    Maybe you should worry about your Continent more and stop interfering in everyone else's cultures.

  6. #66
    I'm not against eating shark because its shark, I'm against it because it's inhumanely done. The same way I don't eat meat and produce from animals kept in abysmal conditions here in the UK.
    One cannot simply quit wow his way into Mordor.

  7. #67
    Immortal Sigma's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Just outside of Wigan, England.
    Posts
    7,332
    This would not disturb me so much if they used the whole animal for food, but from what rich stated about just using the fins and throwing the animal back, That is nothing short of cruelty. I know its a different culture but really have they no respect for animal life ?
    Quote Originally Posted by Acelius View Post
    Sigma : Super Intelligent Giant Moldy Anchovy

  8. #68
    Quote Originally Posted by Kotutha View Post
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...mals_of_Europe Not even going to go into the extinctions caused by Europeans in N, S America and Australia.

    Maybe you should worry about your Continent more and stop interfering in everyone else's cultures.
    With all due respect, extinction is drastically reduced after 1980 and many of those are before the 1900s even. Who better to tell the Chinese what to do than those who have made the mistakes already?
    One cannot simply quit wow his way into Mordor.

  9. #69
    Herald of the Titans Keosen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Sin City
    Posts
    2,714
    Every animal can be eatable depending on a specific culture but every culture should demand the avoidance of animal suffering, only the sadist are supporting these things and more or less you are a sadist if you don't care about getting a living being tortured.

    Kill them and take their fins what's the point of releasing them to have an agonizing and painful death?

  10. #70
    Elemental Lord Noomz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    In my head, where crazy happens.
    Posts
    8,216
    It's disgusting. I saw a show on teli with Gordon Ramsay when he got to see how shark fins are taken, and he was distraught.

    Many asian countries suffer from superstitious nonsense that think X part of Y animal cures cancer and shit like that. If they had a higher amount of educated people, things would change. And if they had less poor people, there would be less incentive for the poor to hunt rare animals.

    Many animals may soon be extinct because of being hunted for "nature medicine".

    ---------- Post added 2013-01-07 at 01:26 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Kotutha View Post
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...mals_of_Europe Not even going to go into the extinctions caused by Europeans in N, S America and Australia.

    Maybe you should worry about your Continent more and stop interfering in everyone else's cultures.
    That list contains animals that haven't excisted in the last 10 000 freaking years. There were barely any Homo Sapiens in Europe when half of those animals lived. If you're gonna blame that on the people that live nowadays, you are pretty damned shortsighted. Those animals that aren't ancient on the list are animals that may have been hunted a few hundred years ago.

    Try harder mate. Stop trying to put blame on modern society for animals that haven't excisted for hundreds of years, even thousands of years.
    Because nowadays, we are doing something about it. They aren't. It's western organisations fighting to protect endangered species.

  11. #71
    I am Murloc! Volitar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Victory Road.
    Posts
    5,169
    This is pretty fucked up, I can't believe they toss them back to drown.

  12. #72
    Epic! -Skye's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Liverpool, UK.
    Posts
    1,704
    Quote Originally Posted by Runeweaver View Post
    This is exactly why I'm totally against it.


    However, cows and pigs etc are bred specifically to be eat once fat enough. The sharks used in these soups are mostly gathered from open water.
    So

    Killing sharks from the wild is wrong

    But mass breeding other animals and slaughtering them isn't?

    Okay..
    Quote Originally Posted by Compstance View Post
    Nah, I disagree with your elitist mentality.
    Tier gear should be available during the leveling process. I don't want to have to mingle with these eltitist jerks in LFR to get gear as it is. I pay a sub fee, I shouldn't have to do LFR to get raid gear, much less Flex or Normal.

  13. #73
    Quote Originally Posted by Trafalgarlaw View Post
    i see no problem with this. You have no qualms about breeding and mass slaughtering cows and pigs. But you take issue with these sharkers merely because attention is brought upon it?

    This place REEKS of hypocricy.
    +1 on this.
    I don't see the difference between this and raising pigs for 2 years in a cage so small that by the time the pig is grown it can break it's ribs 'cause there is no room for the pig there and then taking conveyor belt clamps and clamping their legs so they are hanging upside down about 3 feet from each other while they are going to a stationery chainsaw that cuts their head. ( For the COWS it's more disgusting )

    So don't be so hypocritical about this.

    http://www.piaberrend.org/slaughterh...pposed-to-see/
    Last edited by Luciank255; 2013-01-07 at 12:49 PM.

  14. #74
    Oh my goodness...

    As a person who cares about the world and animals, I find that just terrible. I know that it's only natural to hunt for food, but ripping off a small piece of the prey to eat and letting it die a slow and agonizing death? I don't understand.

    EDIT: I don't agree with the mass slaughter of pigs and cows either, Lucian255.


    Currently playing World of Warcraft, the Dragon Age duo, and Pokémon Pearl. Not at the same time, of course. I'm not an octopus.

  15. #75
    Quote Originally Posted by Sythari View Post
    So

    Killing sharks from the wild is wrong

    But mass breeding other animals and slaughtering them isn't?

    Okay..
    People breed sharks for slaughter? news to me.



    Personally, I've tried shark fin soup. My wealthy friend ordered it and pressured me to eat it. It tasted average, nothing so special. I'm disgusted with Asian cultures. It's their superstitious bullshit history/ideals that make them eat all sorts of garbage. They have isles chalk full of magical healing X in my local supermarket.

  16. #76
    I am Murloc! Descense's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Kalos
    Posts
    5,121
    I would rather eat a snails than this.....

  17. #77
    Quote Originally Posted by Runeweaver View Post
    This is exactly why I'm totally against it.


    However, cows and pigs etc are bred specifically to be eat once fat enough. The sharks used in these soups are mostly gathered from open water.
    I see, that makes it much better. Oh wait.

    Atleast the shark's suffering ends soon enough. While the livestock gets to live a full life in captivity only to get slaughtered later on. Atleast the shark was free.

    ---------- Post added 2013-01-07 at 02:09 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by yurano View Post
    You'd be surprised at how 'unhumanely' livestock is slaughtered. The same animal rights organization who criticize shark-finning also criticize factory farms in their inhumane treatment of livestock when they're alive and the 'cruel' process in which livestock is slaughtered.




    Why? Due to profit. If livestock was harvested instead of factory farmed, the outcome would be much much different. Just take a look at how Canada harvests seals:

    Ninety percent of sealers on the ice floes of the Front (east of Newfoundland), where the majority of the hunt occurs, use firearms.

    An older and more traditional method of killing seals is with a hakapik: a heavy wooden club with a hammer head and metal hook on the end. The hammer head is used to crush the seals' thin skulls, while the hook is used to move the carcasses.

    - the seal also did not appear to have been killed before being hooked and brought on board.
    - The veterinarians examined 76 seal carcasses and found that in 17% of the cases, there were no detectable lesions of the skull, leading them to conclude the clubbing likely did not result in loss of consciousness.
    - "The Burdon et al. evidence cited above addresses the question of whether seals were likely conscious or unconscious at the time they were skinned, using post-mortem examination of skulls. In marked contrast, the figure cited from Daoust et al.’s report represents the number of seals clubbed or shot that were brought on board sealing vessels while still conscious. That number ignores any and all animal suffering that occurs between the time animals are clubbed or shot until they eventually reach a sealing vessel, usually on the end of a hook or gaff."






    Shark fins are not illegal in western countries (like the US). Shark finning as a practice IS illegal. The post I quoted earlier and the OP are directly criticizing the consumption of shark fins, not the practice of shark finning. Please read my post thoroughly before making an uninformed post.



    Lol what?
    This guy gets it. You can keep believing the fairytale that livestock is treated nicely all you want, but the truth is that they have it far worse than those sharks that die soon after being caught.

    You also have no qualms about mass fishing of other fish? You know the kind where they gather thousands of fish in a net, pull them up to let them suffocate in the net?

  18. #78
    Mechagnome Sarthan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    621
    I like to fish in the ocean, a river, a lake, wherever. I don't understand people who complain about certain species being killed JUST FOR THE SIMPLE FACT that it was brought up on T.V.

    No problem with millions of billions of chickens living in a cage their whole life then being slaughtered. BUT because the shark, whale, seal, polar bear, etc is cute WE NEED TO SAVE IT NOW!

    Give me a break.

  19. #79
    Quote Originally Posted by Brash View Post
    It's not the fact that they eat shark fins. It's about the fact that they cut off the fins then drop the live shark back into the ocean to die a slow and painful death.
    To be fair, the guy you're quoting has a point. The things we do to pigs and cows in factory farms are just as bad, if not worse, than what east Asian countries do to sharks for their fins. It's just not that well-publicized here.

    Educate yourself - we commit atrocities upon our livestock here in the US every day, on a much bigger scale than what the Asiatic countries do to sharks.

  20. #80
    I might have eaten some before. If I had it wasn't nice enough to remember.

    My only issue with shark fin is the possibility of sharks going extinct and the unbalancing of the food chain which will end up fucking us over in the long run.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •