Poll: Have you tried Shark Fin Soup before?

Page 1 of 8
... LastLast

Thousands of shark fins found on top of Hong Kong roof.

My uncle once bought me a shark fin soup at a chinese restaurant when I was a little kid. I remember it was bland and wondered what was the hype. A small bowl was almost 100 dollars. I'm glad it's illegal now here in the us, it's a ridiculous tradition that needs to be stopped but clearly it isn't anytime soon.

over 10,000 shark fins alone in this video....

+ the article

http://www.grindtv.com/outdoor/blog/...+kong+rooftop/

+ another interesting video
    Last edited by Nanaboostme; 2013-01-07 at 02:18 AM.

Deleted
    Its a terrible practice, they cut the fin off the shark and throw it back into the sea to die a slow death. For this reason I will never eat shark fin soup.

Deleted
    wish china could just dissapear i hate the country, they skin dogs alive they let bears stand up whole their life in pain for their bile, they kill dolphins and seals in horrible ways, they have animal cruelty everwhere all chineses think the same They are like insects themselves they should atleast have some rules against those animal actions but they dont, they think eating some alive animals or cook the dogs alive does special things like give u a longer life, they are plain dumb no one in ther right mind would belive u would become immortal by drinking the bear bile thingy like many of them do, the bears are in cages 22 years before dieing, Horrible , just horrible

<Infracted> Please don't insult entire groups of people
    Last edited by Anakso; 2013-01-07 at 02:45 AM.

i think my moms side of the family once had me try some at some kind of wedding or function ... quite frankly is more then boring ....... go to the store and buy some jello ... its about the same but the jello has more flava

its sad to see people still farm these

Stuff like this is so disturbing, and more often than not its because of "tradition" or out dated practices and ignorance. Much like the way they handle skinning dogs in china, its a little disturbing to go into detail so I'll leave it out but its along the lines of finning.

edit: Looks like I was a little late on the skinning dogs thing. =(

Quote Originally Posted by niker99 View Post
    wish china could just dissapear i hate the country, they skin dogs alive they let bears stand up whole their life in pain for their bile, they kill dolphins and seals in horrible ways, they have animal cruelty everwhere all chineses think the same They are like insects themselves they should atleast have some rules against those animal actions but they dont, they think eating some alive animals or cook the dogs alive does special things like give u a longer life, they are plain dumb no one in ther right mind would belive u would become immortal by drinking the bear bile thingy like many of them do, the bears are in cages 22 years before dieing, Horrible , just horrible
    Yeah you're not racist at all.

Finning is one of the most horrible things I've ever seen someone do to an animal. Tossing the sharks back in to drown. "Healing powers" yeah, no.
    http://thingsihaveneverdone.wordpress.com
    Just started my 24/7 LoFi stream. Come listen!
    https://youtu.be/3uv1pLbpQM8

My god

What have we become >.<

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by zonde View Post
    My god

What have we become >.<
    Human kind is so cruel. I would never be able to do this myself. Poor sharks

One should almost launch a campaign to the Asian continent. Giving them free medicine and telling them to stay the fuck away from the those "natural" "medicines" - were are running out of rhinos and other endangered animals fast because of them...

Shark FIN? No thanks. I might try shark meat though just to see what it tastes like. Wasting all that shark meat like that is absurd.
    Last edited by muto; 2013-01-07 at 02:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by muto View Post
    Shark FIN? No thanks. I might try shark meat though just to see what it tastes like.
    Like heavy metals i would assume...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cattaclysmic View Post
    Like heavy metals i would assume...
    Nah. Had Korean shark before. Not the best fish I've had, but decent.

Deleted
    This is why I dislike Asian countries, the way they treat animals is enraging.

Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    Yeah you're not racist at all.
    there's no chinese race, IIRC

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Cattaclysmic View Post
    One should almost launch a campaign to the Asian continent. Giving them free medicine and telling them to stay the fuck away from the those "natural" "medicines" - were are running out of rhinos and other endangered animals fast because of them...
    Doesnt work, they have modern medicines but mistrust them.

Deleted
    i see no problem with this. You have no qualms about breeding and mass slaughtering cows and pigs. But you take issue with these sharkers merely because attention is brought upon it?

This place REEKS of hypocricy.

Quote Originally Posted by Trafalgarlaw View Post
    i see no problem with this. You have no qualms about breeding and mass slaughtering cows and pigs. But you take issue with these sharkers merely because attention is brought upon it?

Apples, meet oranges.

Quote Originally Posted by Trafalgarlaw View Post

It's not the fact that they eat shark fins. It's about the fact that they cut off the fins then drop the live shark back into the ocean to die a slow and painful death.

Quote Originally Posted by RICH1471 View Post
    Its a terrible practice, they cut the fin off the shark and throw it back into the sea to die a slow death. For this reason I will never eat shark fin soup.
    exactly the reason why i will never touch shark fin soup