Poll: Have you tried Shark Fin Soup before?

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Saw that Ramsay's video some time back, and really he's doing good job when telling people to stop eating this and showing people the footage videos, how it's made.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sythari View Post
    So

Killing sharks from the wild is wrong

But mass breeding other animals and slaughtering them isn't?

Okay..
    we dont cut off a cows hooves, a pigs trotters, a chickens wings, a sheeps hooves and them let them die in the mud... because we got 1 part of their body to eat...
    Quote Originally Posted by Zombiebob
    I'm still waiting on someone to tell me where all these people that suddenly care about Warrior balance were during Cataclysm when they were blow up dolls with plate armor on.
    Quote Originally Posted by cutterx2202 View Post
    Stop complaining to solve your lack of ability, and start reading and practicing to gain ability. Stop trying to bring people down to your level instead of striving to raise yours.

Quote Originally Posted by Trafalgarlaw View Post
    i see no problem with this. You have no qualms about breeding and mass slaughtering cows and pigs. But you take issue with these sharkers merely because attention is brought upon it?

This place REEKS of hypocricy.
    And you kind sir, reek of ignorance. Key word you missed? BREEDING. I could care less about dogs unless its mine. Im tired of watching Comedy Central then getting buzzkilled by a humane society commercial. If the Chinese wanna eat dogs then I say we empty out our shelters and make a profit. Because while there is kids starving in New Orleans we are sending "50 cents a day" to bumfuck central america.

Back on topic. We breed the animals we slaughter to feed the masses. LOL @ you if you think China is breeding a damn thing so the population of the species isn't wiped out. The only thing China is breeding is another billion chinese babies.
    Last edited by N B K; 2013-01-07 at 01:50 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by holyevil44 View Post
    welcome to Asia food culture but don't worry they will soon kill all the remaining shark and move on the next fish or land animal to exterminate atleast us in north america and most part of Europe we learn not to do that
    sadly i think it will come to this before they realise what they're doing is not only bad for the species they're eating, but themselves as well when they run out of natural products to eat due to chronic mis-handling of their immediate vicinity
    Quote Originally Posted by Zombiebob
    I'm still waiting on someone to tell me where all these people that suddenly care about Warrior balance were during Cataclysm when they were blow up dolls with plate armor on.
    Quote Originally Posted by cutterx2202 View Post
    Stop complaining to solve your lack of ability, and start reading and practicing to gain ability. Stop trying to bring people down to your level instead of striving to raise yours.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by niker99 View Post
    wish china could just dissapear i hate the country, they skin dogs alive they let bears stand up whole their life in pain for their bile, they kill dolphins and seals in horrible ways, they have animal cruelty everwhere all chineses think the same They are like insects themselves they should atleast have some rules against those animal actions but they dont, they think eating some alive animals or cook the dogs alive does special things like give u a longer life, they are plain dumb no one in ther right mind would belive u would become immortal by drinking the bear bile thingy like many of them do, the bears are in cages 22 years before dieing, Horrible , just horrible

<Infracted> Please don't insult entire groups of people

Chinese eat dogs and dolphins, the rest of the world eats chickens and cows. DAMN THOSE CANNIBALS ARE SO DIFFERNT FROM US AMIRITE

Quote Originally Posted by Raybourne View Post
    there's no chinese race, IIRC
    There are multiple ethnic Chinese, what are you on about? If we want to get all technical there are no races at all.

Deleted

That list contains animals that haven't excisted in the last 10 000 freaking years. There were barely any Homo Sapiens in Europe when half of those animals lived. If you're gonna blame that on the people that live nowadays, you are pretty damned shortsighted. Those animals that aren't ancient on the list are animals that may have been hunted a few hundred years ago.

Try harder mate. Stop trying to put blame on modern society for animals that haven't excisted for hundreds of years, even thousands of years.
    Because nowadays, we are doing something about it. They aren't. It's western organisations fighting to protect endangered species.
    Of course I am not blaming you for some Animal that went extinct in 10 000 BC or nonsense like that. I had enough faith in the community to figure that out by themselves. However look at the more recent extinctions. 1930,1950, 1960, 1972, 1980, 1997 2000. Or did you not see those, in your haste to make me look like a fool?

You mean the same Western Organisations that have been accused of Neo Colonialism, Bribery and Greenwashing?
    http://www.nytimes.com/2007/07/27/wo...azon.html?_r=0
    http://www.khoisanpeoples.org/indept...n-game-wwf.htm
    Their is a documentary about from the German TV Channel ARD that accuses the WWF of all shorts of good stuff. I try to find a link.
    -Like how the WWF got a generous Donation from a company. Shortly after this donation arrived the WWF was all for destroying over 14 000 hectares of rainforest so a certain party making donations could build a Palm oil Farm?
    -Seang Tana, chairman of Cambodia's Commission for Conservation and Development of the Mekong River Dolphins Eco-tourism Zone, charged that the WWF had misrepresented the danger of extinction of the Mekong Dolphin in order to boost fundraising
    - What about this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prince_...d#Project_Lock . The hiring of Mercenaries to hunt down people, and train a Insurgency in a foreign land is ok as long as it is a Western Organisation doing it?

What about all the Western Eco-Terrorists? They are allowed to endanger other people and come home to a hero's welcome. The Sea Shepard being a good example for this. However they are hardly alone.

With all due respect, extinction is drastically reduced after 1980 and many of those are before the 1900s even. Who better to tell the Chinese what to do than those who have made the mistakes already?
    Because the Western World is still doing the same mistake? The first Bear found in Germany (Bavaria) since 1835 was hunted down in 2006 shortly after it was discovered. Its crime was eating the local sheep. Now change the setting to a non Western world. Were Farmers are protecting the local Livestock and what they do is "hurting the environment, those dam Poachers!!"

10+ Year Old Account
    There's something in the water... Florida
    You know how Foie gras is made? Or how those cows you eat on a daily basis are raised and killed?
    I'd say the shark got the better and of the stick here.
    great another genius spreading vegan logic... Leme show you some of its flaws (sorry if others already mentioned) :
    1- cows and pigs are not endangered sharks are
    2- cows and pigs are killed in order to harvest their meat with the purpose of being eaten, shark fins is harvested for texture? it adds no flavor to the soup
    3- cows and pigs are raised for the purpose of feeding humans sharks are mutilated and left to die in their natural habitat cuz chinaman believes it has miraculous powers and it shows their power and prestige cuz it was the food of emperors...
    yea please think before you post silly analogies.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    MMO-C, where a shill for Putin cares about democracy in the US.

No I've never tried it, and I wouldn't like to. I also shouldn't judge other people's food. Neither should you.

Quite frankly I don't care if the shark population dies horribly. The impact it would have on the eco system would be interesting, perhaps devastating, which also would be intersting. However, if the shark population doesn't go exctinct I would be fine with that too.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Vizardlorde View Post
    great another genius spreading vegan logic... Leme show you some of its flaws (sorry if others already mentioned) :
    1- cows and pigs are not endangered sharks are
    2- cows and pigs are killed in order to harvest their meat with the purpose of being eaten, shark fins is harvested for texture? it adds no flavor to the soup
    3- cows and pigs are raised for the purpose of feeding humans sharks are mutilated and left to die in their natural habitat cuz chinaman believes it has miraculous powers and it shows their power and prestige cuz it was the food of emperors...
    yea please think before you post silly analogies.
    +1, unlike them, we are not destroying an entire eco system by massively killing one of its element. Fish is horrible to eat anyways, actually eating too much fish is very toxic for oneself(too much mercury). Well on the other hand, too much meat means too many antibiotics so gota choose your poison

Deleted
    I do find it amazing that just becuse your culture does something one way, everyone else must do things your way or its not right.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes, ive had it many times and it was fantastic, both in taste and that great texture. It's very fibrous and each fiber is soft but slightly rubbery. Would be nice to find a more efficient, less wasteful way of harvesting them. Maybe we could raise them in tanks or fisheries and just the rest of the carcass for something else? Maybe feeding the remaining sharks? Self sustaining ftw.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gillern View Post
    "IM LOOKING AT A THING I DONT LIKE, I HAVE THE OPTION TO GO AWAY FROM IT BUT I WILL LOOK MORE AND COMPLAIN ABOUT THE THING I DONT LIKE BECAUSE I DONT LIKE IT, NO ONE IS FORCING ME TO SEARCH FOR THIS THING OR LOOK AT THIS THING OR REMAIN LOOKING AT THIS THING BUT I AM ANYWAY, ITS OFFENDS ME! ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME!!!"
    Troof

10+ Year Old Account
    i see no problem with this. You have no qualms about breeding and mass slaughtering cows and pigs. But you take issue with these sharkers merely because attention is brought upon it?

This place REEKS of hypocricy.
    If they ate the rest of the shark and did it sustainably as well then it's no problem. When it comes to slaughtering cows and pigs and sheep there is a VERY specific practice for it which stuns the animal before it is killed and renders it unconscious so it's not awake for the actual killing and any pain or suffering is minimized. For shark fins they pull them up onto the boat, hold it down by standing on it, hack the fin off with a rusty knife and throw the body back in and leave it to just die.

That makes no effort to minimize cruelty and almost seems to go out of its way to make life horrible, if they plunged the knife into the head and just killed it, that would be more humane because at least this shark wouldn't just sink and die slowly and painfully, it would get it over with. As soon as they have regulation to give the sharks the similar treatment to other animals when it comes to slaughter I see no problem with eating them and would be surprised if others did.

Honestly, it's not hypocrisy based on the animal, it's the practice of minimizing suffering that is different and the deciding factor.
    Last edited by MerinPally; 2013-01-07 at 02:34 PM.
    http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...nicus/advanced
    Quote Originally Posted by goblinpaladin View Post
    Also a vegetable is a person.
    Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    I dont care if they [gays] are allowed to donate [blood], but I think we should have an option to refuse gay blood if we need to receive blood.

Quote Originally Posted by bigfootbigd View Post
    My uncle once bought me a shark fin soup at a chinese restaurant when I was a little kid. I remember it was bland and wondered what was the hype. A small bowl was almost 100 dollars. I'm glad it's illegal now here in the us, it's a ridiculous tradition that needs to be stopped but clearly it isn't anytime soon.

over 10,000 shark fins alone in this video....

+ the article

http://www.grindtv.com/outdoor/blog/...+kong+rooftop/

+ another interesting video
    I hope you are a vegetarian.......

Quote Originally Posted by Kotutha View Post
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...mals_of_Europe Not even going to go into the extinctions caused by Europeans in N, S America and Australia.

Maybe you should worry about your Continent more and stop interfering in everyone else's cultures.
    Culture can shove it. Its not a valid excuse to make animals go extinct.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by xylophone View Post
    Which is ridiculous seeing how shark is delicious.
    Shark is incredibly bland, one of the reasons the meat is almost worthless to sell (Which is why finning is done the way it is).

I see, that makes it much better. Oh wait.
    Atleast the shark's suffering ends soon enough. While the livestock gets to live a full life in captivity only to get slaughtered later on. Atleast the shark was free.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sythari View Post
    So
    Killing sharks from the wild is wrong
    But mass breeding other animals and slaughtering them isn't?
    Okay..
    You've both raised a flaw of my point of which I do agree with you, I dislike it as well, though meat is needed for what it contains...
    My point was that, farms allow us to get what we want from the animals and leave the ones in the wild alone, therefore not to endanger the overall population of the species while getting what we want from them.
    Many sharks however are endangered and are still hunted down, reducing population in the wild and the chance for the species to keep going.
    Last edited by Runeweaver; 2013-01-07 at 05:32 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Those damn sharks had it coming. I had a lot of fear and anxiety every time I go into the Ocean because of sharks. I even have nightmares about them sometimes.

Sounds like sweet "delicious" justice!

Quote Originally Posted by Komati View Post
    No I've never tried it, and I wouldn't like to. I also shouldn't judge other people's food. Neither should you.

Quite frankly I don't care if the shark population dies horribly. The impact it would have on the eco system would be interesting, perhaps devastating, which also would be intersting. However, if the shark population doesn't go exctinct I would be fine with that too.
    No one is judging anyone's food. WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT. and I have no words to say to you for your 2nd paragraph. You are the reasons why i cant stand humans

10+ Year Old Account
    I always said, I'd eat my neighbor before I eat my dog if things came to that. I hold the value of humans far lower than the value of animals. I weep when I hear about animal abuse cases but didn't shed a tear when I heard of Sandy Hook.