Computer fan cleaning/cooling/OC Genie II

So it's been about a week and a half since I finished my first build and began using it. I noticed on the front of my case fan thing their was a thin layer of dust. It reminded me to ask how often should I clean out the fans, and how I should do it;

Case fans
    GPU fan
    CPU Heatsink fan

Someone told me to use a pain brush to take the dust off, some a vaccumm, and none of the things sound 'right'.

Now the cooling part, I've recently gotten into rift and while playing my gpu goes to about 56c and my cpu 45c. Are these temperatures safe? Should I manually increase my GPU fan? (it's currently running at about 30% and it says it will adjust automatically to it's needs, but I've never heard it go to 100%)

Also I'm using the built in "one click overclock" that came on my motherboard, any opinions on this? Is it good to use?
    Quote Originally Posted by TCGamer View Post
    If I had the cash to pay a DDoSer, I would in a heartbeat. Especially with the way the anti-legacy crowd has been attacked by the pro-legacy crowd day in and day out.

Get a can of compressed air. Take the computer outside on a dry day and give it a once-over with the canned air, making sure to dislodge any dust clumps. Allow the computer to warm back up to room temperature before turning it back on, the compressed air can make the computer parts increasingly cold, which means that any moisture in the vicinity will condense on them, causing a short-circuit when you turn the computer back on again afterwards.

Paintbrushes (especially the nylon ones) collect a static charge very easily, if (or when) that earths through your motherboard, you can probably kiss it goodbye. The same goes for vacuum cleaners.

And how often do you recommend I do that?

---------- Post added 2013-01-06 at 05:45 PM ----------

Also so glad I didn't go ahead and use the vacuum
    If I had the cash to pay a DDoSer, I would in a heartbeat. Especially with the way the anti-legacy crowd has been attacked by the pro-legacy crowd day in and day out.

Quote Originally Posted by Sythari View Post
    And how often do you recommend I do that?
    Depends on how dirty your house is (no offense). If you have pets you would need to do it more frequently than if you had none, for example. Also if it's on the floor compared to sitting on the counter. I don't know if a precise time you need to clean your computer, that is something I believe you need to figure out based on your living conditions. Find out how long it takes for the front to get covered, then clean it. Do it again about the same time frame. If you find out you aren't really blowing that much out, give it some more time.

Personally I do mine every 5-6 months (and even then it's really clean inside), but I also live in a clean house and not that much dust collects. At the last place I lived I had to do it more frequent as my roommate had dogs and my case would get caked in dust. I'm sure I can do it more often, but I'm lazy.

The temp seems fine to me. Your video card manual should have listed it's max temperature somewhere. Sounds to me like it hasn't hit that point where it needs the fan running at full speed.

I don't have enough experience with overclocking so I'll let someone else help with that. Computers are getting smarter so I would assume it's fine. You can run a test to see how hot your CPU is getting, I use Prime95 but I'm sure there is a better one.

I have http://www.amazon.com/Metro-Vacuum-E...ds=mini+vacuum and it's made cleaning my computer sooo much easier.
    Intel i5 3570K @ 4.5 GHz | Asrock Z77 Extreme4 | 16GB G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series | EVGA GTX 780SC with ACX cooler| Crucial M4 128GB | Samsung 840 256GB| Western Digital Caviar Blue 500 GB |Western Digital 1 TB Black | CM Hyper 212 Evo (with a push/pull config) | Fractal Design Arc Midi | SeaSonic S12II 620 Bronze | Corsair K60 | Razor Naga |JVC HARX900 | BenQ RL2455 | Samsung Syncmaster S24B300

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes your temps are safe, they are far from being hot. GPU's can go up to 100c, same with CPU's. You want to be concerned when your GPU hits around 90c, and CPU 90c.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mwarren View Post
    It's a no brainer. Get MW3, Skyrim is just a rehash of Oblivion.
    Quote Originally Posted by Neezh View Post
    Because I'm brave enough to smoke. I see no point in quitting

10+ Year Old Account
    The OC Genie II put my 2500K at 4.2 GHz @ 1.35v. I can get a manual overclock of 4.6 GHz @ 1.28v.

It gives a little more voltage than necessary but if you don't feel like spending the time to research how to overclock the long way....

It is recommended to manually overclock though. (not too hard)

So clean my pc as often as it needs (check dust etc)
    Clean it outside on a dry day.
    Use compressed air
    Temps are safe
    OC Genie is okay, but manual is better.

Got it, thanks everyone!