Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Bazookaberit View Post
    EU sceptics seem to be mad about quite trivial things (like EU delegates salary) or things that is not proven, such as EU sinking X country's economy.

While benefits are very real for anyone in business fex. Or human rights to be extended etc in ALL EU countries, no single country were better off the membership.
    I'm struggling to see how we're better off paying the likes of Greece/Ireland/Spain(?) millions because of their screw ups, or successive screw ups, in the case of Greece. A country can and should entirely maintain the right to expect an international organisation/Union to be profitable if a member; if not then there are serious issues. Norway was entirely right and wise to throw themselves headlong into the EU, never mind staying out of it, and the UK at least exercised enough caution to keep one foot in and one foot out.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Alenarien View Post
    I'm struggling to see how we're better off paying the likes of Greece/Ireland/Spain(?) millions because of their screw ups, or successive screw ups, in the case of Greece.
    Because we sell stuff to them and they sell stuff to us. If their economy goes down the drain, our own will be weakened.

Deleted
    US concerns over UK vote on EU http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-20961651
    Seems like the Us wants UK in eu too

Deleted
    i hope the UK does not vote itself out of Europe, do we really want to isolate ourselves from the biggest market in the world? more people would vote no if things like the abu qatada case didn't happen.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by dannypoos View Post
    Because the economy in the world is shakey and they can't take the risk that the left EU countries would impose a tax on UK products, which would cripple both and have their economies sink, dragging US too after them because of the close relation.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Alenarien View Post
    I'm struggling to see how we're better off paying the likes of Greece/Ireland/Spain(?) millions because of their screw ups, or successive screw ups, in the case of Greece. A country can and should entirely maintain the right to expect an international organisation/Union to be profitable if a member; if not then there are serious issues. Norway was entirely right and wise to throw themselves headlong into the EU, never mind staying out of it, and the UK at least exercised enough caution to keep one foot in and one foot out.
    And I struggle to see how the EU is expected to have any semblance of economic unity when the interest rates of the sovereign debt of each member are left up to speculators (Germany - 1.34 vs Greece - 17.20…*yeah, nothing wrong with that).

Warchief
    15+ Year Old Account
    Why should I care about what the director of Titanic thinks of Europe? Pffft.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by peggleftw View Post
    i hope the UK does not vote itself out of Europe, do we really want to isolate ourselves from the biggest market in the world? more people would vote no if things like the abu qatada case didn't happen.
    But that's the whole point, why does being part of a free market suddenly mean the EU gets to buttfuck us on shit like Abu Qatada, or prisoner voting, or all the other nonsense they come out with? As I've said numerous times, the free market isn't going away no matter if Britain is in or out of the EU. Britain operates a substantial trade deficit with the rest of the EU, why would they suddenly slap a tax on that? It makes no sense.

People like to use shit like "the European convention on human rights", as if the moment Britain pulls out of the EU we'll all start torturing one another, which is of course bullshit. Wanting free trade doesn't mean we should forgo our right to decide to implement whatever societal policies we see fit.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by dannypoos View Post
    Oh, great, this better not be "yo, Blair" diplomacy in action.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by rainiothon View Post
    Oh, great, this better not be "yo, Blair" diplomacy in action.
    Just the continental bureaucrats asking Obama a favour. The people of the UK are better than that.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Bazookaberit View Post
    EU sceptics seem to be mad about quite trivial things (like EU delegates salary) or things that is not proven, such as EU sinking X country's economy.

While benefits are very real for anyone in business fex. Or human rights to be extended etc in ALL EU countries, no single country were better off the membership.
    Most of the benefits could exist perfectly well without the bullshit called EU. The only real benefits of the union is standardized legislation in some key areas (commercial law, contract law etc) as well as the "four freedoms" (movement of goods, services, people and capital across borders).