Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    Deleted

Crafting or Selling Mats?

In your opinion what's better? To use every mat for crafting or to sell em all for money money money?

I'm keeping the mats I gather currently as I'm levelling all the crafting disciplines but once I get all 8 to 400 then I'll start to sell most mats and just keep a stock of the rare useful ones. So I'd say sell if you have no intention of crafting or have the ones you want at 400.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by adam86shadow View Post
    In your opinion what's better? To use every mat for crafting or to sell em all for money money money?
    Really depends on what you want.

Crafting won't make you any gold (very very few recipes are profitable) but if you want free levels or skill points it's great.
    You don't need much gold if you're not going for a legendary but it's nice to have to buy things from the gem store.

If you're going for a legendary, sell the mats you don't need for the gifts to buy your Icy Runestones and lodestones if you need them.
    Valar morghulis

Crafting is worthless in this game people only do it for xp.
    While you live, shine / Have no grief at all / Life exists only for a short while / And time demands its toll.

Yeees Yeees, keep saying that my minions and I shall continue to make more profit of the TP

MUAHAHAHAHAHAHA

P.S.: HA

Deleted
    I think it really depends how much value you attach to crafting your own gear. From what I've seen and read so far, there are no compelling rewards to crafting as there are in WoW, other than xp gain and maybe legendaries. The AH seems to have great coverage of nearly all gear types at good prices... Like you I've been wondering what to do with my mats, my bank and bags seem permanently stuffed with them and I'm about to pull the trigger and auction the lot. If I need to later change my mind i will grind gold and power-level, right now I'm having too much fun with the main game to craft if it's not really necessary for later play - not enough hours in the day ;-)

There's also a question of do you salvage before you auction, to convert surplus gear and trophys into raw crafting mats. Id suggest it's a good idea, mostly the mats seem to be worth more.

Quote Originally Posted by Rukh View Post
    Crafting is worthless in this game people only do it for xp.
    weird as a lot of people (myself included) make quite a bit of gold out of it.

if you don't intend to spend time/gold leveling up your crafting, it is pretty safe to sell mats.
    you may want to keep tier 6 mats though to use them later (even if you don't craft, there has to be some guildmates that do) in high level crafting (exotics/legendaries) or even mystic forge recipes.
    in case you want to sell them (i suppose on TP), prices can vary a lot so it may sometimes be worth a try keeping some mats when sell prices are too low (ie veeery close to merchant sell price) or sell them directly to merchants instead (which is i think the case for most leather mats i believe).

Almost all of my gear has come from crafting. I'd hardly say it's worthless.

With that said, you'll make more money if you just sell your materials.

My gear has come from other people's crafting. I buy it for less than the mats I sell for it. : P

You'll find a lot of the people who think they're making good money crafting farm their on ingredients and don't take in to account the time they're putting in.
    While you live, shine / Have no grief at all / Life exists only for a short while / And time demands its toll.

Time has nothing to do with it Rukh, wether you're farming ingredients to sell or to craft it's the same amount of time spent...

Deleted
    I've seen that before more than a few times - people who are so caught up in their crafting that they don't take into account the playtime it takes them to gather mats... They basically craft for the sake of the pride they get from making things. Which is perfectly valid if that's what floats your boat But genuine gaps in the market, where you can buy mats from the AH, combine and sell at a profit, are very rare.

Well from an efficiency of leveling and gearing standpoint than yeah, you are right. The beauty of it to me is that you can play as you want. I enjoy the crafting what I can and using it while playing. I rarely will have to go out of my way to farm a specific material. I just don't think you can call it worthless. It's all on how you want to play the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Kerome View Post
    I've seen that before more than a few times - people who are so caught up in their crafting that they don't take into account the playtime it takes them to gather mats... They basically craft for the sake of the pride they get from making things. Which is perfectly valid if that's what floats your boat But genuine gaps in the market, where you can buy mats from the AH, combine and sell at a profit, are very rare.
    Very rare my behind. Every crafting proff can make significant profits even if you just buy off tp.

15+ Year Old Account
    Sell some mats and then sell stuff that you crafted.
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

Fine here come the numbers:
    Beryl orichalcum amulet price 293s
    ------------------------------------------------
    Orichalcum setting price 9.6s
    Orichalcum chain price 16.38s
    10* Orichalcum ingot price 48.3s
    5* Glob of ecto price 142.7s
    5* Beryl orb price 12.1s
    ------------------------------------------------
    Crafting cost 229.8s
    Profit 19.97s

T6 items are one of the few exceptions to the rule mel and even then not every piece. As to the comment about time spent gathering vs crafting the point is folks think hey I made 2 gold profit on one item when really if the'd sold the mats they probably would have made nearly the same amount of money. Effectivly the profit they got was from the gathering not the crafting itself. And thats only with the T6 mats, anything lower and most likely the finished product was less valuable than the materials that went into it.

Who is John Galt?

Who cares if it's end of tier mats? In every game that's what you make your profit with if you can't powerhouse the market...
    And if you act like nothing is worth it you're simply wrong. I make 10% profit on buying mats for the necklace.

And no of course not every piece, that's simply impossible.
    The fact that they make 20s instead of 290s doesn't mean they didn't make a profit, their profit is less but it's still profit.

And FYI mithril earrings also go for about the same margin...
    People who claim crafting isn't worth it are the ppl who are to lazy to do the math.

The problem is most ppl can't think in percentages so they see a profit of 5s and go "pff that's hardly my travel cost" but if 5s is a 50%return you're going to be rich. This is especially true for cooking.

I'd say it depends on the profession. I've found cooking to be useful as well as jeweling (oftentimes I can make jewelry for less than what people are selling it for in the TP). Artificing is so-so, the potions can be handy. Anything that makes gear (other than jewelry) I haven't used much of at all past leveling it. As others have said, you can buy the already made gear (or better) in the TP for 1c above vendor cost and then sell the crafting mats (depending on what they are) for more than the item's worth.

Quote Originally Posted by Lane View Post
    I'd say it depends on the profession. I've found cooking to be useful as well as jeweling (oftentimes I can make jewelry for less than what people are selling it for in the TP). Artificing is so-so, the potions can be handy. Anything that makes gear (other than jewelry) I haven't used much of at all past leveling it. As others have said, you can buy the already made gear (or better) in the TP for 1c above vendor cost and then sell the crafting mats (depending on what they are) for more than the item's worth.
    Great response but this isn't what is being asked. The question is, should I sell my mats "raw" or should I "transform" them to make a higher profit.
    The only correct answer is the latter.

If we are talking purely about cost, you also have to factor in the cost of mats used to get the crafting levels up to where you can begin transforming materials into goods and the cheapest crafting profession will take like 3-4g.
    So technically, you have to go into loss first and slowly recuperate the loss before you start making a profit if you go crafting way.

If we not considering purely cost wise, to some people getting the crafting skill itself is worth the cost.