Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ...
4
5
6
7
8
... LastLast
  1. #101
    Titan Kangodo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    13,072
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaylock View Post
    You know how many great deals Valve gives via steam? Some great games for cheap.
    And that is exactly why they are making an insane profit.
    They are selling packages with games that people wouldn't have bought any other moment.

    "Ooh look, for 35 Euro I get that 20 Euro game I want and 15 other games. Let's buy it!", that's how they make a profit: By selling stuff to people that they actually don't want.

  2. #102
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildmoon View Post
    Because that's smart move business wise?
    I was agreeing with you bro. lol. Valve is not an evil company out just to make $$$, they are smart businessmen. Unlike Blizzard.

    ---------- Post added 2013-01-07 at 08:47 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Kangodo View Post
    And that is exactly why they are making an insane profit.
    They are selling packages with games that people wouldn't have bought any other moment.

    "Ooh look, for 35 Euro I get that 20 Euro game I want and 15 other games. Let's buy it!", that's how they make a profit: By selling stuff to people that they actually don't want.
    Yet people choose to buy it because they WANT to play them? You arent making any sense now Kangdo!
    Lewor responds to Barkloud regarding travel time, and we get this glorious quote:
    Quote Originally Posted by Lewor View Post
    And where did these magical percentages come from? I didn't realise someone's ass also doubled as a calculator.
    World of Warcraft: The Burning Crusade
    See you in WoD!

  3. #103
    I feel like People are actually excited for 5.2.

    But if you look at forums like these to gauge enthusiasm (if such a thing can be quantified), you'll always see people hating on things and complaining. That hasn't changed since Vanilla.

  4. #104
    Fluffy Kitten Rivin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Washington, USA
    Posts
    13,823
    Quote Originally Posted by Fagatronics View Post
    I still disagree. I know from the zoom out of Northrend's map it looks like it's only half covered with snow but if you actually fly through or even checkout the screenshots on wowhead, there is more than the map indicates. Still this has gotten further away from my point.

    Even if just half the continent is covered in snow that's still far less creative than Tbc's area design. Covering 50% of your terrain with white is not interesting.
    I barely even remember what the map looks like. :S I spent a lot of time in both Wrath and Cataclysm in Northrend (plus I just leveled my monk through there). I'm very familiar with how the actual areas look.

    While I do agree that there's a lot less variance in Northrend (or Pandaria) compared to Outland, "different" is not necessarily "better". You get some really nice zones like Zangarmarsh, Netherstorm, and Shadowmoon Valley, and some really awful ones like Hellfire Peninsula and Blade's Edge Mountains. At least with Northrend and Pandaria pretty much the entire continents look good. (And as far as Pandaria goes, the differences between zones are far more apparent on the ground than they are from the air.)

  5. #105
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaylock View Post
    I was agreeing with you bro. lol. Valve is not an evil company out just to make $$$, they are smart businessmen. Unlike Blizzard.

    ---------- Post added 2013-01-07 at 08:47 PM ----------



    Yet people choose to buy it because they WANT to play them? You arent making any sense now Kangdo!
    What make you tihnk Blizzard is evil company and Valve isn't? I can't see the difference here except you are just biased...

  6. #106
    Titan Kangodo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    13,072
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaylock View Post
    Yet people choose to buy it because they WANT to play them? You arent making any sense now Kangdo!
    No, because it's a deal
    That's how people work: They are willing to pay more for stuff they don't want/need because it's a deal.

    And if you have 6 million users online at the same time, that will be a huge profit.

  7. #107
    Brewmaster dryankem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    London, ON, Canada
    Posts
    1,356
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaylock View Post
    I was agreeing with you bro. lol. Valve is not an evil company out just to make $$$, they are smart businessmen. Unlike Blizzard.

    ---------- Post added 2013-01-07 at 08:47 PM ----------



    Yet people choose to buy it because they WANT to play them? You arent making any sense now Kangdo!
    Actually he is making sense. It's the impulse logic that retail stores use, put the cheap stuff right near the check out so when you are waiting in line you pickup 2 or 3 more things that you actually didn't need but end up buying. And you call that good business but WOW putting in more content (although which you don't personally prefer) into their game and still only charge the same monthly amount you say they are a greedy company.

    It's the same, both companies are trying to max profits. Sorry if you prefer one model over the other but both companies are trying to milk you for as much as they reasonably can. One does it monthly and with optional micro transactions, the other by tempting you to spend more than you intended. Also how much advertising does Valve put out on Stream. Every time you log in there are games available to be purchased.
    Last edited by dryankem; 2013-01-07 at 08:55 PM.

  8. #108
    Scarab Lord UnifiedDivide's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    4,155
    Quote Originally Posted by Rivin View Post
    While I do agree that there's a lot less variance in Northrend (or Pandaria) compared to Outland, "different" is not necessarily "better". You get some really nice zones like Zangarmarsh, Netherstorm, and Shadowmoon Valley, and some really awful ones like Hellfire Peninsula and Blade's Edge Mountains. At least with Northrend and Pandaria pretty much the entire continents look good. (And as far as Pandaria goes, the differences between zones are far more apparent on the ground than they are from the air.)
    This is basically the point I was making.

    Seriously, look at Hellfire. (Yes, I know I keep going on about it :S)
    You talked about covering the land in white for Northrend. Hellfire is just covered in orange. Same texture over and over, exactly the same as the snow.

    Anyway, this is kind of Off Topic, isn't it? ^^

    Sometimes updated...

  9. #109
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildmoon View Post
    What make you tihnk Blizzard is evil company and Valve isn't? I can't see the difference here except you are just biased...
    Valve has never sacrificed any part of their games in order to be "more appealing". They make a game, polish it, and do a damn good job.

    Now look at wow. The developers would , at the drop of a hat, completely change something (regardless of how it works gameplay wise) if it meant pleasing people and increasing profit margins.

    The difference is that Valve does not sacrifice its integrity for profit.

    Meanwhile every other month you got wow dev's trying to sell you a digital cat for 20 bucks. LOL integrity.
    Last edited by Lomak; 2013-01-07 at 08:56 PM.

  10. #110
    Quote Originally Posted by Archeus9 View Post
    I almost wanted to response.... but then i noticed that it's one of the Jaylock's threads.
    Yeah. I just noticed that too.

    ---------- Post added 2013-01-07 at 08:54 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Shadee View Post
    Yup, most of the long term players have left.
    Let's see some proof.
    Perfect example of why "community" forums are poisonous to the health of a development team. These developers are wasting hundreds of hours trying to stem the tide of incessant bitchery that would never, ever abate so long as these entitled, unfortunate human beings don't get their way.

  11. #111
    Quote Originally Posted by UnifiedDivide View Post
    This is basically the point I was making.

    Seriously, look at Hellfire. (Yes, I know I keep going on about it :S)
    You talked about covering the land in white for Northrend. Hellfire is just covered in orange. Same texture over and over, exactly the same as the snow.

    Anyway, this is kind of Off Topic, isn't it? ^^
    Although I really love BC's raids but imo Outland is the worst leveling world ever. I freaking hate HF.

    ---------- Post added 2013-01-07 at 08:57 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Lomak View Post
    Valve has never sacrificed any part of their games in order to be "more appealing". They make a game, polish it, and do a damn good job.

    Now look at wow. The developers would , at the drop of a hat, completely change something (regardless of how it works gameplay wise) if it meant pleasing people and increasing profit margins.

    The difference is that Valve does not sacrifice its integrity for profit.

    Meanwhile every other month you got wow dev's trying to sell you a digital cat for 20 bucks. LOL integrity.
    What Blizzard did sacrifice? Could you be more specific? and what's wrong with selling cosmetic shit? If I remember right Valve does that too.... You could argue that Blizzard put even more effort into their games like making super high quality cinematics which were freaking expensive. All those cinematics are arguably a waste of resource.
    Last edited by Wildmoon; 2013-01-07 at 09:00 PM.

  12. #112
    Quote Originally Posted by Kangodo View Post
    No, because it's a deal
    That's how people work: They are willing to pay more for stuff they don't want/need because it's a deal.
    The 'bundles' on steam have links to the items separately too.

  13. #113
    Quote Originally Posted by UnifiedDivide View Post
    This is basically the point I was making.

    Seriously, look at Hellfire. (Yes, I know I keep going on about it :S)
    You talked about covering the land in white for Northrend. Hellfire is just covered in orange. Same texture over and over, exactly the same as the snow.

    Anyway, this is kind of Off Topic, isn't it? ^^
    Its just your biased opinion that hellfire is a bad zone. I quite enjoy leveling through the zone, as it is lore intensive. Its a nicely designed zone too. Its got that stark reddish landscape that really makes it feel alien and near to space. The sky looks amazing there too.

    Blades edge isnt a bad zone either. It is varied and each little pocket is a new area with different and interesting quests. I admit, it was a pain to level through it during TBC when you didnt have flying until 70, but now that you can fly at 60, it makes the zone super fun. Try leveling there next time you are level 65ish, its not bad at all.
    Lewor responds to Barkloud regarding travel time, and we get this glorious quote:
    Quote Originally Posted by Lewor View Post
    And where did these magical percentages come from? I didn't realise someone's ass also doubled as a calculator.
    World of Warcraft: The Burning Crusade
    See you in WoD!

  14. #114
    The Insane
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Where Thrall and the Horde needs me to be
    Posts
    16,363
    Sweet, a Jaylock thread with Shadee in it - a fantastic duo!
    *broken link*
    Amazing sig, done by mighty Lokann

  15. #115
    Quote Originally Posted by Lomak View Post
    Valve has never sacrificed any part of their games in order to be "more appealing". They make a game, polish it, and do a damn good job.

    Now look at wow. The developers would , at the drop of a hat, completely change something (regardless of how it works gameplay wise) if it meant pleasing people and increasing profit margins.

    The difference is that Valve does not sacrifice its integrity for profit.

    Meanwhile every other month you got wow dev's trying to sell you a digital cat for 20 bucks. LOL integrity.
    Valve isn't making an MMO that needs to keep the customer interested month to month. Valve makes games that you play through once. They don't change the games (much) due to customer feedback because they don't need to keep your attention after the first purchase.

    That is the differnce, for Valve to make money, they need to make a product people will enjoy enough to pay for once, WoW has to get people to continue paying for as long as they can. They do that by making changes that they feel the population will enjoy. It's not evil to try and keep your costumer base happy so that you will make money, it's a business.

  16. #116
    Brewmaster Chry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Washington
    Posts
    1,380
    Quote Originally Posted by Venziir View Post
    Sweet, a Jaylock thread with Shadee in it - a fantastic duo!
    If you're going to post at least TRY to offer something to the thread, instead of sarcastically increasing your post count while being incredibly rude.

    Anyways, when I said Valve I wasn't talking about Steam. I was talking about the fact that they make a quality, finished game. (Still waiting for that PvP, Diablo)

    Quote Originally Posted by Lighto73 View Post
    Valve isn't making an MMO that needs to keep the customer interested month to month. Valve makes games that you play through once. They don't change the games (much) due to customer feedback because they don't need to keep your attention after the first purchase.

    That is the differnce, for Valve to make money, they need to make a product people will enjoy enough to pay for once, WoW has to get people to continue paying for as long as they can. They do that by making changes that they feel the population will enjoy. It's not evil to try and keep your costumer base happy so that you will make money, it's a business.
    You couldn't be more wrong. Team Fortress 2, a FTP Valve game, has updates adding new content at a fairly regular pace. They even made a level editor for Portal 2.
    Last edited by Chry; 2013-01-07 at 09:06 PM.

  17. #117
    Quote Originally Posted by Chry View Post
    If you're going to post at least TRY to offer something to the thread, instead of sarcastically increasing your post count while being incredibly rude.

    Anyways, when I said Valve I wasn't talking about Steam. I was talking about the fact that they make a quality, finished game. (Still waiting for that PvP, Diablo)
    hmm there are many companies out there that made a quality game. CS:GO isn't that good too...

  18. #118
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildmoon View Post
    Although I really love BC's raids but imo Outland is the worst leveling world ever. I freaking hate HF.

    ---------- Post added 2013-01-07 at 08:57 PM ----------



    What Blizzard did sacrifice? Could you be more specific?
    Oh, how about every single boss encounter they have created in the past few years for starters.

    Here you have a group of people who probably spend the majority of time at blizz HQ developing, testing, and polishing fights specifically to be a challenge to a specific tier / gear set for that period of fleeting time in the games life.

    It could be the most beautifully designed boss fight ever created in a game ever, in the HISTORY of foreverness that would forever be unmatched. The kind of boss you kill the first time and waves of euphoria wash over you because it was so fucking well tuned that before this moment your group has only managed to get him down to the last remaining %'s of his health before everyone just ran out of fuel and got wiped.

    All that would be pushed aside the next week because blizzard has graph's and pie chart's that show only xx% of people have seen xx% encounter and only xx% of people have beaten it.

    So take all that hard work, all that good polish, all that good GAMEPLAY, (all that integrity) and flush it down the shitter...because we need at least yy% of people to beat this boss before we meet our arbitrary quota.

    Blizzard has been balancing this game like a forumla, with graph's and chart's and how many people beat what, instead of balancing the game on the merits of what is capable with the mechanics

    Should I continue?

  19. #119
    Quote Originally Posted by Chry View Post
    If you're going to post at least TRY to offer something to the thread, instead of sarcastically increasing your post count while being incredibly rude.

    Anyways, when I said Valve I wasn't talking about Steam. I was talking about the fact that they make a quality, finished game. (Still waiting for that PvP, Diablo)
    I agree with you here.

    Sadly when i hear the word Blizzard my mind envisions like a bad punchline from a 90s sitcom.

    "Blizzard" (canned laughing) baa dump! (drum sound)

    Blizzard sure dropped the ball with that Diablo PvP!
    Lewor responds to Barkloud regarding travel time, and we get this glorious quote:
    Quote Originally Posted by Lewor View Post
    And where did these magical percentages come from? I didn't realise someone's ass also doubled as a calculator.
    World of Warcraft: The Burning Crusade
    See you in WoD!

  20. #120
    Scarab Lord UnifiedDivide's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    4,155
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaylock View Post
    Its just your biased opinion that hellfire is a bad zone. I quite enjoy leveling through the zone, as it is lore intensive. Its a nicely designed zone too. Its got that stark reddish landscape that really makes it feel alien and near to space. The sky looks amazing there too.

    Blades edge isnt a bad zone either. It is varied and each little pocket is a new area with different and interesting quests. I admit, it was a pain to level through it during TBC when you didnt have flying until 70, but now that you can fly at 60, it makes the zone super fun. Try leveling there next time you are level 65ish, its not bad at all.
    My opinion being different doesn't make it biased at all.

    Sometimes updated...

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •