Page 1 of 16
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Is enthusiasm for WoW dwindling?

From my own personal experiences, it seems like many people I know who play WoW, or have played WoW just say the game is a hamster wheelhouse. In other words, they say that Blizzard keeps churning out content that is the "same as before." Also it seems like the people in the guild only raid because there is "nothing else to do to keep them busy."

Nothing else to do to keep them busy? Yet this expansion has arguably more to do than any other expansion start with the exception of TBC. People call it burn out.

Content is now less varied, and comes out slower than before, and they call major content patches (5.1) content. Not much content there if you ask me.

Also another piece of evidence: Have you seen the server status lately when looking at sever lists? Most of the full servers are now medium to high, all the high servers are now low or medium, and medium servers are now low to non existant pops at peak times.

Whats the deal? Is enthusiasm for the game in general just dwindling?

play on illidan, ive seen no change in numbers

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Marypoopins View Post
    play on illidan, ive seen no change in numbers
    I have some horde toons on illidan, the server used to be "full" now its "high," so yes even illidan-us has dwindled.

10+ Year Old Account
    Mal'Ganis horde side is as packed as ever.

10+ Year Old Account
    Any game that has been out for as long as WoW has will generally see interest start to dwindle.

Deleted
    I almost wanted to response.... but then i noticed that it's one of the Jaylock's threads.

Mod Edit: Please add something constructive when you post.
    Last edited by mmoc99cfbcce04; 2013-01-08 at 09:46 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yup, most of the long term players have left.

10+ Year Old Account
    I know that my old full server isn't that way anymore. But that's probably because of the free transfers they offered.

Quote Originally Posted by UnifiedDivide View Post
    All I will say is that your "evidence" is anecdotal at best. People you know and your guild? That's hardly going to be a substantial number, is it?

Also, less varied content? Releasing slower than before? I don't even... Have you payed any attention to MoP at all?

If enthusiasm is dwindling, it's simply due to age. How long can one person be excited about the same thing for?

In other words, all his anecdotal evidence is probably correct and WOW numbers are dwindling. It's Ok to admit it and it's nothing bad. You came close too.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaylock View Post
    and they call major content patches (5.1) content.
    So they call content patches content. Such a scandal!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cougar View Post
    Any game that has been out for as long as WoW has will generally see interest start to dwindle.
    I agree. You can't really point to the huge pop servers that people mentioned earlier. Illidan and Mal'Ganis are ginormous mega servers that are among the biggest in existence, they're where the hardest of the hardcore play. You're not likely to notice much interest being lost in the game if that's where you're looking.

But I think in general, as old as WoW is, it's eventually going to lose some steam. The subs haven't fully recovered from Cataclysm and likely won't ever be back up to Wrath levels. A lot of people say Wrath was the zenith of World of Warcraft, so either Blizzard is going to have to do something humongous to bring that back (I don't think there's anything lore-wise in the game that people will care about as much though), or they're going to have to just try to maintain the subs they have, which is what I think their attitude is more about now that we're starting to get into the meat and bones of Mists.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Archeus9 View Post
    I almost wanted to response.... but then i noticed that it's one of the Jaylock's threads.
    So if it was not a "jaylock thread" you would have responded?

OT:

@UnifiedDivide: Look at your server population and then look at the server list during peak hours and tell me that they are not lower than before. WAY lower. Also, ive see several people in game just talk about how stale its getting and how loggin in to raid is just a burden now. You never saw that during TBC.

---------- Post added 2013-01-07 at 06:43 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Zka View Post
    So they call content patches content. Such a scandal!
    Wheres the content? More rehashed dailies and a new gryphon mount?

Quote Originally Posted by UnifiedDivide View Post
    I didn't really though, did I?

I said IF it was dwindling. And there will always be servers that range from Low to Locked. You can't expect everyone to be evenly distributed across servers.
    You almost admitted it again he was right but you keep skirting it. It's OK to just come out and say he was right even with anecdotal evidence.

Deleted
    Maybe, but arguing with you about something is good for nothing. You will be presenting things as truth even if it isn't truth.

10+ Year Old Account
    Because your enthusiasm and those of your guildmates = those of all WOW players.

New players will be excited, old players will be less so. Nothing new here.
    Lots of people playing at the start of an expansion/major patch, less so a month or two later. Again nothing new here.

Rocket science this is not.

Play the game if you enjoy it, stop if you don't. Simple really. Other people's enthusiasm for the game should have nothing to do with it.

Overall, of course it is. The game isn't dying, but the population has certainly decreased. It would be ridiculous to say otherwise.
    Quote Originally Posted by Slummish View Post
    I don't get it. I've gone AFK a million times to blow my bf so he'd get off my back and let me raid. What's the problem here? People have sex...

Deleted

OT:

@UnifiedDivide: Look at your server population and then look at the server list during peak hours and tell me that they are not lower than before. WAY lower. Also, ive see several people in game just talk about how stale its getting and how loggin in to raid is just a burden now. You never saw that during TBC.
    Actually, i have seen that in TBC. My guild leader quitted because he hated TBC raids and whole Outland. And also many players from our Vanilla group left because they found TBC raids boring.

10+ Year Old Account
    I agree the game does feel like a hamster wheel...you spend weeks/months gearing up...they release a new patch meaning you have to spend more weeks/months gearing up then they release a new expansion and everyone's power level resets...Why would i want to gear up when i can just play at the start of the expansion/ patch, experience everything, move to a different game then return when they release a new patch >.<

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by dryankem View Post
    Play the game if you enjoy it, stop if you don't. Simple really. Other people's enthusiasm for the game should have nothing to do with it.
    Some people who enjoy the game might be worried about others not being into it enough for Blizzard to keep it going. This bothers them. They make threads to find out if their fears are well founded or not. Being that they enjoy the game, they would not enjoy it being shut down.

I'm sure the OP's fears have been allayed sufficiently by now.

Not sure what there is to keep people interested in playing this game anymore. They just keep reintroducing the same quests as "daily's" (as if a game having something called a 'daily' wasn't bad enough to begin with) and call it a game.

Sorry but for something to keep my interest it has to be fun and at least somewhat challenging. WoW is lacking in both area's.