Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Galaddriel View Post
    32 million players play LOL monthly.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/jasoneva...-call-of-duty/

And yes, enthusiasm is for WoW is dwindling.....fast! Just look at these 1 - 1.5 hour long LFR queues and the sad state of raiding with only 1/2 the teams raiding this expac compared to Cata.
    And a scientific survey done by Nielsen PROVED those LOL figures are simply made of thin air:

Refrence: http://www.nielsen.com/us/en/insight...deo_games.html

The difference is my link is a scientific study made in the US that shows WOW was being played more than DOUBLE than LOL.

While the forbes internet article is just based on thin air and PR of LOL makers.

---- > Tell me how much brings in LOL on a yearly basis ?:

For WOW that was 1.2 billion dollars per year (see Blizzard's financial Q reports).

I bet you LOL is not even close to this revenue by a LONG shot.

---------- Post added 2013-01-08 at 06:47 PM ----------

I have a hard time believing out of 10 million players they can't scramble together a couple tanks and healers.

Maybe they should forget x-realm and go x-region so we can play with the Chinese - that's where the players are I guess.
    There is a yearly revenue stream of 1.2 billion dollars per year for Blizzard.

Last Quarter (summer time June-Sep) that was MORE than 360 million dollars on just 3 months... All time record since the existence of Blizzard btw

Who knows perhaps is Blizzard into some illegal ... Columbian drug dealing ...

BTW those are AUDITED and controlled revenue figures (by such "suspect" third parties as the Deutsche Bank).

HiHi
    Last edited by BenBos; 2013-01-08 at 05:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BenBos View Post

For WOW that was 1.2 billion dollars per year (see Blizzard's financial Q reports).
    And they still made people wait a year and then 8 months for new content? I can see why that makes some peoples enthusiasm dwindle.

Quote Originally Posted by Deadite View Post
    And they still made people wait a year and then 8 months for new content? I can see why that makes some peoples enthusiasm dwindle.
    You can ALWAYS join the free to play stuff down the road and have loading screens instead of seamless open worlds and various mount systems.

The problem is that these free things actually promote the long term interest in the massive content of Azeroth, more than anyone even realises.

The one with the money delivers in long term quality. The free to play new kids stumble over their own feet after launch.

It has been like that for 7 years in a row.

No wonder Wow haters are struggling these days ...

2012 has come and gone and nothing in sight. Must be really depressing for them.
    Last edited by BenBos; 2013-01-08 at 06:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BenBos View Post
    You can ALWAYS join the free to play stuff down the road and have loading screens instead of seamless open worlds and various mount systems.
    So rather than wanting Blizzard to funnel their huge profits into the game i actually play you suggest i go and play some other game? Your devotion to Blizzard is so absolute you don't want them to add more stuff to the game faster?

Quote Originally Posted by Deadite View Post
    So rather than wanting Blizzard to funnel their huge profits into the game i actually play you suggest i go and play some other game? Your devotion to Blizzard is so absolute you don't want them to add more stuff to the game faster?
    I stopped playing WOW temporarely for 5 weeks now because I can't keep up with all the things they put extra in the game. So while I enjoy the much simpler Diablo 3 (no attunements or reputations and kids yelling gearscore !), I can only see a MASSIVE MoP content coming my way that actually buried my gaming needs. well over my head.

I am not even interested in another MMORPG, because the only MMORPG everyone else plays for years is already WOW.

Coming back to it in a few weeks time will fill my days endlessly. So content ? You mean the 110+ dungeons , the 80+ bracket BG's, the dozens of old and new Raids is too little ?

Perhaps getting a life now and then would be a better solution.

BUT ... I am not that guy that thinks "ME" is the center of the universe. So while I take a few weeks break and then play like a fool ... means nothing for the rest of the millions.

Something most posters don't seem to understand really.

Does anyone even remotely understands what 1.2 billion dollars revenue for just a software package even means ... ?

10 million subsrcriptions (be that western fixed monthly or Asian cell phone like), I don't think anyone even can imagine that number for a PAID game ...
    Last edited by BenBos; 2013-01-08 at 06:17 PM.

I find that over the last few years I've taken breaks and came back numerous times - it's just the nature of the MMO.

I have a hard time believing out of 10 million players they can't scramble together a couple tanks and healers.
    It's not the absolute number of tanks and/or healers, it's the ratio of tanks and/or healer to dps. If more dps are queuing than there are the other roles to handle them, the dps queues will grow and grow until people start bailing out.

The other thing affecting queue times is the willingness of people to wait. Give people more to do while waiting, and the longer the queues will get.
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler
    "Do you want a game with no casuals so about 500 players?"

Quote Originally Posted by Osmeric View Post
    It's not the absolute number of tanks and/or healers, it's the ratio of tanks and/or healer to dps. If more dps are queuing than there are the other roles to handle them, the dps queues will grow and grow until people start bailing out.

The other thing affecting queue times is the willingness of people to wait. Give people more to do while waiting, and the longer the queues will get.
    it is indeed a dilemma that has nothing to do with an absolute player number. It is about MMORPG play as such these days.

The modern internet play is having the game NOW instead of later.

Do you know how long my waiting time is on my one server Diablo 3 to form a group in ANY quest or Act ? : 1 second.

O N E second to play in a group. Actually it takes longer to log in than to wait. Having no gearscore, attunement, recount, reputation needs ... helps a LOT btw as does playing on just ONE server per continent.

WOW will have to include these tools over time any how. But by then the rest of the MMORPG bunch will be long forgotten already.
    Last edited by BenBos; 2013-01-08 at 06:27 PM.

I actually believe the opposite. By adding features like the pet battles and the LFR they are attracting a younger, more instant gratification crowd that should bring in a whole new generation into wow. So, maybe the interest is dwindling with older gamers - but i think wow's whole mindset with MoP was attracting their next batch of gamers.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaylock View Post
    From my own personal experiences, it seems like many people I know who play WoW, or have played WoW just say the game is a hamster wheelhouse. In other words, they say that Blizzard keeps churning out content that is the "same as before." Also it seems like the people in the guild only raid because there is "nothing else to do to keep them busy."

Nothing else to do to keep them busy? Yet this expansion has arguably more to do than any other expansion start with the exception of TBC. People call it burn out.

Content is now less varied, and comes out slower than before, and they call major content patches (5.1) content. Not much content there if you ask me.

Also another piece of evidence: Have you seen the server status lately when looking at sever lists? Most of the full servers are now medium to high, all the high servers are now low or medium, and medium servers are now low to non existant pops at peak times.

Whats the deal? Is enthusiasm for the game in general just dwindling?
    I play the game since the begining and i can say for sure this is, besides vanilla, the expansion that kept me the most busy. There is just alot of stuff to do atleast untill u finish farming your reps.
    The problem is imo that we are chasing the same carrot (epic gear)for years now, and the carrot is just easier to reach in the last expansions.
    Personaly the most fun i had in MOP was collecting battle pets, completing my fishing and cooking achivements and doing solo runs of old content. Except for weekly runs in LFR i hardly ever raid anymore, altough i enjoyed being in a top 20 guild in TBC and WOTLK, raids just arent fun for me anymore and i enjoy being in a social guild with friends alot more nowadays.

I guess as we grow old our prefferences change, i enjoy going out with friends more now, whereas i would spend all my free nights raiding in the past years.

---------- Post added 2013-01-08 at 06:56 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Kelathos View Post
    Long term players are likely "growing up" in that they either lack the time or the will to continue being a hamster on the treadmill, and younger gamers are finding themselves inundated with other choices to distract them from picking up WoW.
    Also this, well said!

10+ Year Old Account
    I been playing this game since bc. Quit in mop.......So yes I think the enthusiasm for WoW dwindling in older players

Quote Originally Posted by Alastaircrawly View Post
    I been playing this game since bc. Quit in mop.......So yes I think the enthusiasm for WoW dwindling in older players
    Please do not assume to speak for me, I've played since early vanilla and still play.

Brewmaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    Not seeing many friends dropping their subs. But it does seems like the amount of time they put in is far less. Run some dungeons, kill the sha of anger, do some dailies and logout. I think they are raiding less and are generally more casual with more alts.

Still love the game. But I think its time for Blizz to adopt a 'develop the account and not the tune' attitude. The classes, specs and roles are just way too cool to just play a few.
    Operation Red Wing

Why pay a monthly subscription after you have already seen/ cleared all of the content available ?

Quote Originally Posted by Shadee View Post
    Yup, most of the long term players have left.
    I think this is the most accurate sentiment. I played from Vanilla until the very end of Cataclysm. I realized at the end that I didn't really care much about the game anymore, I was just logging in and doing things by rote.

I still follow my old guild's progress because I really liked that group of people and I had a hand in building the guild from the ground up. It's a 25 man raiding guild so they keep a pretty decent sized roster. As of right now, there are three people left that were there when the guild started and maybe another 3 who were around when I was. There's another 4 or 5 still that no longer play but still hang around the guild forums like I do.

I have a small microcosm of the larger whole of WoW to see that people aren't sticking with the game anymore. The majority of people playing now are transient. They come, they stay a while, then they leave but there's always someone new to take their place. Take that for what you will, but the long-term Wow player is becoming a very small minority.

Nope not for me. Long player since TBC and I've been more excited to play more than ever.
    Goodbye-Forever-MMO-Champ
    Quote Originally Posted by HighlordJohnstone View Post
    Alleria's whispers start climaxing

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by darxide View Post
    I think this is the most accurate sentiment. I played from Vanilla until the very end of Cataclysm.
    But it has nothing to do with long term. It has to do with burn out and moving on. These things happen and it has a higher chance of happening the longer you do something. We've had long term players here say that they are still as into the game as ever. Just as we've had ones like you that put focus on their lack of interest on them being a long term player.

Turn over happens. WoW has had 10 million subscribers for the past 8 years. That means a lot of people to lose interest and move on. It is nothing new and not a trend of recent times or anything but Turn Over that happens regardless. Even if WoW was the most perfect game ever created you would still have people that would quit.

Not that it matters but I've played since the start of TBC. I've played every month since then but I've also had periods where I didn't do much but dailies or cool downs for weeks. But I'm still having fun and still glad I'm paying for what I am.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

Quote Originally Posted by Jaylock View Post
    From my own personal experiences, it seems like many people I know who play WoW, or have played WoW just say the game is a hamster wheelhouse. In other words, they say that Blizzard keeps churning out content that is the "same as before." Also it seems like the people in the guild only raid because there is "nothing else to do to keep them busy."

Nothing else to do to keep them busy? Yet this expansion has arguably more to do than any other expansion start with the exception of TBC. People call it burn out.

Content is now less varied, and comes out slower than before, and they call major content patches (5.1) content. Not much content there if you ask me.

Also another piece of evidence: Have you seen the server status lately when looking at sever lists? Most of the full servers are now medium to high, all the high servers are now low or medium, and medium servers are now low to non existant pops at peak times.

Whats the deal? Is enthusiasm for the game in general just dwindling?
    There is a great deal many reasons why population is declining in World of Warcraft. And the majority of it is because of Blizzard Entertainment themselves. Allow me to explain this in greater detail.

First, every MMO on the market puts emphasis on leveling and the journey to level cap. But Blizzard has decided they'd rather rush people to level cap. So since Wrath of the Lich King, they nerfed the leveling up experience drastically. It used to be about the journey, not the destination. Every MMO on the market knows this. They each just do it differently. Some force you to grind kills, others put the grind behind amazing storyline questing. Lord of the Rings Online, for as nerfed as it has gotten, still puts emphasis on the journey to whatever the level cap is. Star Wars: The Old Republic, even being free to play, puts emphasis on the journey with amazing storytelling and interactive mission dialogues. But World of Warcraft no longer does this. Instead it's a big race to 90.

In Wrath of the Lich King, it was ridiculously easy to level to 80. Outland slowed you down because the content was still group focused. But they removed group quests in vanilla content, and lowered the amount of XP you needed to get to the current content. Then in Cataclysm, they redid the old world, nerfed the XP needed that much more. Mists of Pandaria made things worse, because not only did I find myself leveling up super fast in dungeons (Like 2-3 levels per run till I hit outland), but Pandaria content itself went by extremely fast as well, along with the levels. 3 days. That's how long it took me to hit 90 on my druid. So when you can hit end game 3 days into the expansion and nothing but dailies from that time on, there is seriously something wrong with the system. It no longer is about the journey. It is get to end game and grind dailies.

That's where the second issue comes in. Wrath of the Lich King, had dailies yes. But there were still other engaging things to do. You still had to get gear to run heroics. And still needed to gear to raid. In cataclysm, it also had dailies, but you still had to get the gear to run heroics, and the heroics were extremely challenging, and in my opinion, boring as hell. And forget about raiding until DS came out with raid finder. But Pandaria. The moment you hit 90, you could only queue for heroics. And you could be raid finder ready after only a couple heroic runs. And the raid finder content is so easy, and you couple this with the endless grind of dailies, and you got a mixing pot full of reasons people are getting bored.

And then there is the dailies themselves. I think we all can agree, Mists of Pandaria has introduce more dailies than any expansion in the history of World of Warcraft. And this was not a good thing. Dailies became all you had for end game MoP. And people went on the forums and let blizzard know, they didn't appreciate being forced to do dailies because that was all there really was to do. So what did Blizzard do to address this? 5.1 they gated the main storyline behind an endless wall of dailies you must do to get more of the story. For many, this was the last straw. For me, it was 1 of the last straws.

We finally get the last part that forced me to leave. Cross Realm Zones. My guild would RP in the open world. We relied on our passenger mounts to get our lowbies to areas they couldn't reach on their own, for RP. CRZ not only ruined the fishing tournaments, it broke these mounts. It introduced lag and disconnects and hangups. And to top it all off, it introduced a wider range for griefers to grief. Instead of being limited to their own servers where their community has them on ignore and their names known, they now have tons of other servers to grief. Be it wiping out entire quest hubs, to sitting on key npc's with their giant mounts just to make clicking them difficult. And if they are on a pve server, they make sure they are flagged so if you try clicking the npc, you end up hitting them, and the neutral town guards 1 shot you.

What was Blizzard's response to the tons of complaints about CRZ? "If you are alone any time in the game, you aren't playing the game right" "We can't fix the mount issue, just deal with it" "We are being bullish about this issue, people will learn to like our system and the complaints will end". And when they started banning people speaking out against their company or the feature, and not doing a single thing to the pro-crz people who actively insult, flame, and troll the anti-crz people, just to put an end to the legitimate complaints people have with a system that should never of left beta, it became the last straw for this player.

So the majority of the reasons people are leaving are because of Blizzard. But it is also the toxic community that Blizzard is fostering that is also driving people away. And I am willing to bet, as more time passes, the subscription numbers will continue to plummet. Me, I have no intention of buying any more World of Warcraft expansions. Not until Blizzard changes their attitude towards the player base. They know they've fostered a toxic community, and they no longer speak to the player base through their own forums now. Instead it's all on twitter. I don't know any game developer company that has made the decision to abandon their own official forums, in favor of twitter except Blizzard.

would it be worth jumping into WoW at this point?

15+ Year Old Account
    My enthusiasm has definitely diminished. Basically I played WoW to pvp and MoP ruined pvp. So there you go.

As far as the community on the whole I don't think wow will ever reach 12 million subs again...however...I'm not going to say it's now in a state of rapid decline. I think the community is probably falling off...but very very gradually. WoW will still be the biggest MMO for years to come.