Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    My cousin has Aspergers so i have seen him struggle with it. Don't tell him you have Aspergers just tell him you tend to be a awkward and reserved/shy person and i'm sure he'd be fine with that. Than if you do happen to get in a relationship you can tell him you have Aspergers if you ever feel the need. Good luck

---------- Post added 2013-01-08 at 12:32 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by cpillow View Post
    Just tell him. But don't make it all "dramatic". Or make sure it sort of goes along with a conversation you're having - blend it in. Like...bring up a famous person with aspergers and say something like, "..I just thought it was cool because I have aspergers too ." Such as Adam Young from Owl City! (Yes I like Owl City, minus this new album, no hate please.)
    I liked the good time song with the call me maybe girl. Even though there was nothing to the song and they just repeated the same line over and over i thought it was catchy. But hey most mainstream music does this.
    Wow <3 Korra<3 Giants<3

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Giants41 View Post
    I liked the good time song with the call me maybe girl. Even though there was nothing to the song and they just repeated the same line over and over i thought it was catchy. But hey most mainstream music does this.
    See it's that song and the other new ones that I'm not a big fan of. I mean...for what they are they're good. Just not what he used to do. Now it's the "mm tss mm tss mm tss" beats. Whereas before it was unique. I say this at the risk of sounding like a douche hipster...he's gone mainstream.

Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    Asperger's. I just don't feel it's very positive to mention honestly. "Hey I'm kinda autistic so... if I seem odd to you, that's totally why." Though.. that is better than seeming cold and distant leaving the other person to assume you're just kind of cold and distant lol.

Dating thing I am not so concerned with, if I date then sure, if not then sure I need more friends.
    What do you mean "kind of"?

10+ Year Old Account
    If he reacts poorly to you having Aspergers then he wouldn't have made a good friend/lover anyways.

Tell him, it shouldn't matter.

---------- Post added 2013-01-08 at 12:27 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Last Starfighter View Post
    What do you mean "kind of"?
    Don't be that guy.

Deleted
    Asperger's. I just don't feel it's very positive to mention honestly. "Hey I'm kinda autistic so... if I seem odd to you, that's totally why." Though.. that is better than seeming cold and distant leaving the other person to assume you're just kind of cold and distant lol.
    I see no reason not to tell really.

Just tell him you have Aspergers and explain just what he should expect because of it (like you did in the OP) and mention that if you get nervous/cold it isn't him and its ok.

Problem fucking solved.

Deleted
    tell him you are who you are, and if it goes wrong, he knows why

Well day went rather well, he picked me up we went out to ate, went back to his place talked a lot and cuddled. I do a rather good job of suppressing my accent; however, when I am nervous I sound tremendously English, gradually I sounded English but not as deep.

Deleted
    could you please explain what is bad about sounding english?

Quote Originally Posted by BonesDeLarge View Post
    could you please explain what is bad about sounding english?
    I am English but I live in America and a lot of people would tell me over the years I speak too fast or they can't understand what I am saying, so I toned my accent down. It's easy for me to speak with a more Americanized accent; however, when I am excited or nervous I can't just speak Americanized. I speak like myself, which is quite English lol.

10+ Year Old Account
    I am English but I live in America and a lot of people would tell me over the years I speak too fast or they can't understand what I am saying, so I toned my accent down. It's easy for me to speak with a more Americanized accent; however, when I am excited or nervous I can't just speak Americanized. I speak like myself, which is quite English lol.
    Don't worry about your accent. Girls with English accents are sexy.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

Where in the US do you live? I'm pretty sure anywhere in the east coast, west coast, or the MN/WI/IL area will be able to understand you with an English accent.

And if it is people talking with a southern drawl that are whining, well those people can't talk anyway...

Deleted
    To give my 1 cent as a child it was mentioned by doctors that i maybe autistic or one of the other social disorders. for various reasons (high intelect, low social skills, imaginary friend till late age and anger issues) but my mother ignored it as she just believed i was shy and creative.

For a long time i kept out of relationships and whilst i had friends only 1 or 2 of them i would call real friends (the rest jsut made them time go quicker or had toher uses so i kept them around) but eventually i met someone who saw past the crazyness and coldness of my personality and asked me out.

Been with her for 7.5 years now and she brings me a peace i have never felt.

In short go for it, nothing ventured nothing gained.

Quote Originally Posted by obdigore View Post
    Where in the US do you live? I'm pretty sure anywhere in the east coast, west coast, or the MN/WI/IL area will be able to understand you with an English accent.

And if it is people talking with a southern drawl that are whining, well those people can't talk anyway...
    lol east cost new york city.

Apparently we're dating.

10+ Year Old Account

Apparently we're dating.
    By the way, sorry for getting your gender wrong in my earlier post. Grats on the new guy.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

Apparently we're dating.
    I may physically assault anyone who claims they couldn't understand me in NYC if they whined about an English accent.

Dating thing I am not so concerned with, if I date then sure, if not then sure I need more friends.
    I cant think of any reason not to tell someone you consider a friend that you have Aspergers. If he is your friend, it wont matter. It will probably make it easier for him to be around you since he knows why anything strange is happening(and you cant control it). Theres also a good possibility that he doesnt even know what it is and will have to look it up on Wikipedia.

If you had a condition that wasnt visible or more private than you wouldnt necessarily need to tell anyone about it but since Aspergers affects your outward projection of yourself, people can figure it out on their own(or they will just think you are weird).

Quote Originally Posted by JfmC View Post
    Date him. Ignore your disabilities, you are who you are, everyone's beautifull etc. etc....
    I like the passionate speech! made me agree with this guy

I would rather someone introduce themselves as a stone-cold killer, than to learn about it later on.

It may seem extreme, but if you were a stone-cold killer, I'd much rather know about it on day 1 than years later when something came up.

And honestly it's not a big deal at all, (in my opinion it shouldn't change anything,) but if something ever comes up, there doesn't have to be added stress because they know about it.

Quote Originally Posted by obdigore View Post
    I may physically assault anyone who claims they couldn't understand me in NYC if they whined about an English accent.
    Lol!! Well I got tired if the "what did you say?" "Slow down " "your accent is too thick I can't understand you can you speak slower?"