Deleted

GPU at 100% while playing

Hi guys!

So I got GW2 on release, couldn't play it much since I had a bad pc by that time.

Now with a new pc everything goes fine but while playing the GPU goes up to +95% and the computer makes a little noise which makes me feel really uncomfortable and makes me stop playing.

The thing is, is this normal? should I check something? drivers are up to date and the pc is new from 3 months ago.

CPU INTEL I5-3570 3.4GHZ 6MB S 1155/DDR3
    GIGABYTE H77-DS3H S1155/DDR3
    2X DIMM 4GB DDR3 1333MHZ KINGSTON
    HDD 1TB SATA3 7200 RPM SEAGATE
    VGA MSI NVIDIA GTX660TI 2GB GDDR5 POWER
    CORSAIR GAMMING SERIES 800W

Deleted
    Dust off the GPU just get it out of the motherboard and clean it from the dust. I had same problem with old computer. It's propably just so full of dust.
    Last edited by mmoc08bbbf072a; 2013-01-07 at 09:59 PM.

Rather than worrying about the GPU usage, worry about GPU temps. If you are running 95% but MSI afterburner (Easy Temp mon program) shows sub 80 degree Celsius temps you are fine. On games like sleeping dogs my GPUs are running at 99-100% usage, but stay around 70 celsius.

Deleted
    I'll probably clean the dust and check msi afterburner, that means as long as the temp is not incredibly high everything is fine?

yes its not the % GPU thats the problem, if thats high it just means the game is trying to make full use of the resources available. The problem comes when the card temp starts going up over 80ish and is probably causeing masive damage if you can boil water on it. While high GPU usage does tend to correlate to higher temps its not a 1:1 ratio and even games that "Max out" the card can cause it to run at different temps.

In general as long as you keep the card's cooling system clean (no dust), the system as a whole has proper ventilation, and your not overclocking the card your unlikely to melt it with any game. At worst 95+ usage just means you possibly could get higher FPS with a stronger card, if your FPS is fine dont sweat it.

Who is John Galt?

Deleted
    Hey guys.

Here I bring you a "report" while playing GW2 and MSI afterburner running, seems like the temperature is fine.

The top pick is when the game loaded and got into the world, after a few seconds (20 or 30) I closed the game so thats why it's at 0 at the end.

Everything seems fine, should I enjoy the game now that I know there's nothing wrong with the computer?

Deleted
    Hi Holymorph,

I have the same CPU and GFX card as you, I have not noticed any worrying noises coming from my PC whilst playing. (Although maybe it's just because it's completely normal to me!). Can you describe the noise in a little more detail perhaps?

I can't imagine dust is a problem, unless for the 3 months of your computers lifetime you've been storing it in a lumbermill or Miss Havisham's attic.

Also, as other people have said, don't worry about GPU load/usage. Everyone loves numbers and stats and graphs, but for someone like myself that (being modest) understands quite a lot about this stuff it's actually pretty meaningless in the grand scheme of things, and for people that don't understand it's just a source of confusion and worryment.
    Last edited by mmocc8f40c0a89; 2013-01-09 at 07:00 PM.

Deleted
    Well that noise seems to stop after everything loads up on screen.

I have noticed that everytime something new appears on screen and frames lower a bit to load things up, that little noise appears, but then when everything is loaded it stops.

You're probably hearing your fan spin up when the GPU is stressed, which it is (100%, the game is making full use of your GPU)

You fan will spin down back to normal low level operating temps.

Your GPU temps look amazing, you haven't anything to worry about there. What you described about noise is more than likely your hard drive. If you are curious open your computer side panel and stick your ear near the hard drive while the game is loading.

It's not uncommon, and hardly anything to worry about. If it bothers you purchase a SSD, but short of that the audible sound from each different HDD manufacturer is irrelevant; they are all rather close when it comes to noise level.

10+ Year Old Account
    its called coil wine the noise that make you uncomfortable so you got 2 option 1 try to rma it to get a new card and hopefully you wont have a coil wine whit that one or 2 is that you ignore it

edit: wow i love how people dont know what they are talking about in this thread
    Last edited by holyevil44; 2013-01-09 at 07:00 PM.

It could also be fan speed, I neglected noticing that bottom result was fan speed. As long as your temps are where they are you are fine. The reason i assumed it would be hard drive related is because of how you described it as happening only while things were loading.

It could still be either hard drive or video card, the only real way to know is to open the case while it is happening and listen close.

Either way you are just fine. The video card is well within operating temps and the hard drive is new and shouldn't have any problems.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Elgand View Post
    It could also be fan speed, I neglected noticing that bottom result was fan speed. As long as your temps are where they are you are fine. The reason i assumed it would be hard drive related is because of how you described it as happening only while things were loading.

It could still be either hard drive or video card, the only real way to know is to open the case while it is happening and listen close.

Either way you are just fine. The video card is well within operating temps and the hard drive is new and shouldn't have any problems.
    i work in computers and what op is saying aka : a little noise which makes me feel really uncomfortable and makes me stop playing. that is = to coil wine i think i know what i am talking about hdd don't make that noise like ever like i said ignor it by putting you speaker a lil louder or rma it and befor doing that i sugjest looking on youtube what a coil whine sounds like just in case i am wrong

Deleted
    This is why there is a frame limiter in the options - set it to 60, assuming you have a 60Hz monitor, and/or enable vsync. Games shouldn't be using 100% GPU consistently - if they do, they're bugged, rendering unnecessary frames.
    Last edited by mmoc9f738f0006; 2013-01-09 at 07:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by holyevil44 View Post
    i work in computers and what op is saying aka : a little noise which makes me feel really uncomfortable and makes me stop playing. that is = to coil wine i think i know what i am talking about hdd don't make that noise like ever like i said ignor it by putting you speaker a lil louder or rma it and befor doing that i sugjest looking on youtube what a coil whine sounds like just in case i am wrong
    *sigh* Nobody challenged you on what you thought the problem was. You had no reason to claim that you "Work on computers" as if to try and say your opinion of what the problem is has greater bearing on the situation at hand.

Typically people who don't know what they are talking about wouldn't even try to address this problem.

Your suggestion that his fan is reaching 100% and producing noise due to coil whine is most likely wrong, seeing as how coil whine is often attributed to higher voltages and rattling within the coil itself. You have just jumped right over the possible solution that the fan is simply generating more audible noise due to higher rotations, and decided to suggest a far more serious ( and uncontrollable)problem without any good reason to point towards that.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coil_noise

Typically coil noise or whine is attributed to shotty craftsmanship.
    Last edited by Elgand; 2013-01-09 at 07:45 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Elgand View Post
    *sigh* Nobody challenged you on what you thought the problem was. You had no reason to claim that you "Work on computers" as if to try and say your opinion of what the problem is has greater bearing on the situation at hand.

Typically people who don't know what they are talking about wouldn't even try to address this problem.

Your suggestion that his fan is reaching 100% and producing noise due to coil whine is most likely wrong, seeing as how coil whine is often attributed to higher voltages and rattling within the coil itself. You have just jumped right over the possible solution that the fan is simply generating more audible noise due to higher rotations, and decided to suggest a far more serious ( and uncontrollable)problem without any good reason to point towards that.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coil_noise

Typically coil noise or whine is attributed to shotty craftsmanship.
    his fan speed dont pass 49% fyi but his gpu reach 99% usage witch make some card whine mis afterburner graph work like this

temp
    ------
    ------
    ------ and not

-----
    -----
    -----
    temp

that y you people confuse fan speed whit gpu usage . and the whine only seem to ocure wen it reach that 100%

I re-read the graph, and was incorrectly reading it. Thank you. Yeah from 40-49% there shouldn't not be a noticable difference in the fan volume.

Coil whine, or Hard drive volume are the two other options. Unless I heard the sound myself I wouldn't know which of the two is the problem, but both the HDD and GPU are being stressed heavily at the same time.

Deleted
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1FdCKZ8qaUU

From 0:09 to 0:12, thats exactly the sound I hear. It sounds like this until everything is loaded on screen.

10+ Year Old Account
    yea that coil whine so now it could be the mobo the psu or the gfx you need to pin point that than determine if a ram would be worth all the shipping/waiting time of a rma if its only happening in that one game