Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Is botting actually punished in this game?

I know a lot of people who have been using bots for years, and more recently I'm noticing I'm one of the only non bots in Battle Grounds. Does anyone know if there is ever any action taken against botting?

10+ Year Old Account
    How exactly have you so profoundly come to the conclusion that your the "only" person in BGs that doesn't bot?

It sounds like the shakey perception of "I'm the only one that doesn't smoke/drink/have sex" that kids have in highschool.
    Quote Originally Posted by melodramocracy View Post
    Gold and the 'need' for it in-game is easily one of the most overblown mindsets in this community.

There are ban waves and bans for people caught doing it, but when someone gets banned they usually just buy a new account and bot some more

Perhaps, but from I have seen: no. One of my former guildies (was officer too) botted all day to provide the guild with items needed for raiding. Everyone knew about it, and several people reported her, but Blizzard didn't take any action.

It isn't wise to fraction your income / playerbase.

Quote Originally Posted by Anjerith View Post
    How exactly have you so profoundly come to the conclusion that your the "only" person in BGs that doesn't bot?

It sounds like the shakey perception of "I'm the only one that doesn't smoke/drink/have sex" that kids have in highschool.
    This morning my friend and I kept asking the other players in our BG why there was 8 people ont he same node, and none of them would respond. Even when an enemy was 15 feet away they wouldn't attack him unless he ran up to them. This went on pretty much most of the day, and it also occurred on the enemy team almost as frequently as it did ours. I tested it by running up close enough to where any normal large group of players would have destroyed me, and they didn't do anything.

So are bots actually beating you in BGs? If you are the only real person, I would assume you do ok.....

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    There's plenty of action taken against those who use a bot. You never see it or really hear about it, because the bans are transparent.

Quote Originally Posted by yjmark View Post
    So are bots actually beating you in BGs? If you are the only real person, I would assume you do ok.....
    it comes down to which team has the most bots on it, honestly.

10+ Year Old Account
    Thank you OP for bringing this matter to our attention. Perhaps if someone had the presence of mind to start a thread like this in the past we as a community could have done more to come together and combat this problem. Now that some light has finally been shed on this issue we can work towards a solution.
    "Brevity is...wit"

Quote Originally Posted by shokter View Post
    Thank you OP for bringing this matter to our attention. Perhaps if someone had the presence of mind to start a thread like this in the past we as a community could have done more to come together and combat this problem. Now that some light has finally been shed on this issue we can work towards a solution.
    That's not what I was doing, I was honestly just wondering if I decided to use a bot program myself if I have a serious risk for losing my account because these current battle grounds of "which ever team has the least bots wins" is mind-numbingly boring compared to the battle grounds I used to enjoy where it was a back and forth fight the entire time.

I have a buddy who has been botting for years, he's never had so much as a slap on the wrist.

Well the correct Blizzard answer is "they're well aware of it, and do punish people, but not straight away so that they can use them to collect information on other people gold selling/using other exploits and then ban them all together in waves"

But these "waves" don't really happen a lot anymore.

I think (put your tin foil hat on time) they probably don't ban them because it's probably a lot easier to find GoldSellers and major exploiters if they are using things like this so they're letting the little people go to use the same bait to catch bigger fish maybe.
    Last edited by rogueMatthias; 2013-01-07 at 10:24 PM.
    BASIC CAMPFIRE for WARCHIEF UK Prime Minister!

10+ Year Old Account
    Punishing botters by suspending? Light touch.
    It's always been Wankershim!
    My Brand!

Quote Originally Posted by rogueMatthias View Post
    Well the correct Blizzard answer is "they're well aware of it, and do punish people, but not straight away so that they can use them to collect information on other people gold selling/using other exploits and then ban them all together in waves"
    Which is always a good excuse. I'm 100% sure Blizzard could relatively easily get rid of bots if only they wished to do so. But money is money, eh?

Quote Originally Posted by Turbodymoman View Post
    Which is always a good excuse. I'm 100% sure Blizzard could relatively easily get rid of bots if only they wished to do so. But money is money, eh?
    B..B..B..Bullshit.

Deleted
    I know this might sound a bit harsh on you, but OP please tell me, why is there such a big importance if the persons you just grouped up with are bots or not? Random bgs are full of retards that do a worse job then any decent bot out there anyway.
    Also regarding leveling bots : why do you all care how they level, be it by themselves or with a bot. It doesn't change your course of action, not in a itsy bitsy way.

10+ Year Old Account
    Dunno if they get punished, but buying new accounts is cheap so its probably no big deal too the botter.
    I'm gonna let 'em know that Dolemite is back on the scene! I'm gonna let 'em know that Dolemite is my name, and fuckin' up motherfuckers is my game!

Quote Originally Posted by Deafknight View Post
    if they ban the other 1 million bots we may see a difference

of course they don't care if you bot. that's why 10% of their subs are bots

They just suspend now and even that takes a LONG time to do. After the cycle just repeats. Blizzard is about $ now and not customer service.