I have been playing since Vanilla, I started off as a shadow priest and then in BC decided it was time to make a switch and I picked up a mage. The reason was they were a class that could pull their weight in dps, as during that time frame pures and hybrids where just that. The thinking on this has faded away so everyone is now more on an even playing field which is a good aspect of the game. I want to share my thoughts and concerns on the current situation of mages and the previous and upcoming changes.
1. Fire has always been a spec that relied heavily on gear and RNG. I have never been able to say to my raid leader that I can do something on command each and every time as fire because unless you are smiled upon by the RNG gods. I don’t understand why a spec realizes so heavily on a crit multiplier for it damage. It is just not fun to be able to always be reliable in burst or the damage department.
2. MOP fire was in a good place, it might have been a little over powered with combustion and we can live with a combustion nerf, but a Critical Mass nerf as well really but this spec on the back burner. You really can’t time any of your trinket procs or have your pyro’s ready to line up solid ignites and combustions, I can go sometimes 7 to 12 casts without even getting a crit and I have gone as long as 15 without getting a crit, that means my dps goes into the toilet and really makes it difficult on some fights to pull your own weight. The problem I see is that we rely on numbers to much and not the actual game play of the mages, there are a select few mages around the world that do extremely high dps.
3. So the RNG factor of mages really hurt our game play and the constant nerfs and buffs really distract from the class itself.
1. Arcane was in a terrible spot when MOP hit, there was no way to be competitive with this spec, so you guys buffed it and I think it worked out pretty well, but now it is getting a nerf. The thing I see in any spec is to maximize the performance of your spec. Arcane has many thing that will go against us if these new nerfs come into effect. Arcane has no mobility, almost every fight in this game you have to move, you rarely get to stand still for any length of time. Right now we use scorch and arcane explosion for our movements. If we get a nerf to scorch, we have what Icy flows and arcane explosion for moving, you don’t want to use arcane barrage unless you have 6 stacks cause the dps will be a loss. We need something if we get a nerf to scorch a way to keep out stacks up and still do dps while moving.
2. Scorch weaving, I understand that mana management is key to this spec, but when we as a community find a way to maximize a spec it gets nerfed. The spec itself is lack luster in that you try to build up to 6 charges and barrage to clear them while just using missiles as they proc. It really isn’t a fun spec, with scorch weaving you have the ability to not always stay in the same rotation and you can have some mess-ups without it really tanking your dps. If you go below 80% mana your dps just plummets, so unless you can always pay attention to ur 6 stacks and clear them quickly you can really hamper your dps if you keep blasting, scorching allows for a little leeway in the spec than it would if you nerfed it. It also allows for procing missiles as well, so when you are fishing for some procs, it has a great benefit. Along with this goes back to moving, if you just do a 6 charge clear rotation, how does that work on movement fights, you have the potential to always lose your stacks before you get a chance to barrage or you will have to barrage early.
3. I think the spec itself if good, but increasing the mana cost of blast and scorch will hamper the spec, along with the nerf to RoP, but I will discuss that later on.
1. Frost has always been the spec for pvp since back in the day, since it has good control and good burst. The thing is that we have about 20 seconds of burst before we are pretty much just running for our lives for the next 2 minutes till our cool downs come up again. Frost is starting to look better, but the constant nerfs for the pvp side of the house keeps affecting the pve side of the house. The frost bomb nerf was good in pvp, but in pve it hurt a ton, there should have been a thought on how this nerf was going to affect both sides, instead make it have a less effect in pvp, than in pve.
2. Frost dps isn’t as good as most specs, the building of 3 frost charges as you switch targets doesn’t play well into the spec, I see there is a buff to this to allow your frostbolt to hit as if it had 3 charges, but all else will have to wait till you have 3 charges on it for it to hit at full power. I think that is good, but couldn’t we do something similar like arcane, where your charge have a cooldown but you keep them from target to target. I think as we go further you will adjust the frost numbers to come up, I really like how dynamic frost is in pve and how you can use the spec, but just right now it is not viable.
1. Our level 90 talents are in my opinion needs a little work, we have 3 talents that really don’t work really well in all the fights, it is all situation based with incanters ward only being viable on one fight which Is garalon, since you cannot predict how much damage you will take to ensure you proc the most out of that spell.
2. ROP seems to be ok, but now we are getting a mana reduction which will hamper arcane the most, since arcane relies on mana, it is just another nerf along with the other nerfs to arcane. It really doesn’t work well with fire, instead invocation works the best for that spec.
3. Invocation seems to be a hamper to always having to get out of combat for 6 seconds to get a buff on yourself. It just seems that these 3 talents weren’t really thought out well in the game play of a mage along with all the encounters that we have to deal with, I like them to a point, but they could use some adjustments.
1. I know you are always trying to balance each and every class, but I think as a mage we get look at a lot but tend to always get nerfs for various reason, from to much burst in pvp or combustion spreading is to overpowered etc. I think that we need a serious look at in terms of game play, don’t rely so much on the numbers but how the spec will interact with a group and the encounters. I am not saying we should be best on all fights, but we should be competitive without having always switch specs for each fight to find the one that best suits that situation.
2. Arcane In my eyes are good, even though you guys want us to manage our mana, we do to a point, we are just trying to maximize our movement and our uptime, without scorch weaving the spec is dual and lack luster and if you make a mistake it will be like cata, your dps will fall through the roof.
3. Fire relies too much on RNG, there shouldn’t be a spec that relies this heavily on RNG to do dps, in the current state we are unable to line up our trinket procs each time to ensure that we are bringing a good dps class to our raids. I think Critical Mass should be back to 1.5, leave combustion where it is at. I don’t want to wait till the end of an xpac to play fire again.
4. Frost is good, but the dps needs to be higher and a little less burst in pvp, so that everyone is having a good time, but we still are able to do our jobs.
Thanks for your time reading this post, this is my first one , but I felt compelled to speak up about the changes, most people ramble on in anger about the changes, I wanted to put my information out there to see if any of this information is meaningful for the upcoming changes.