Page 1 of 3
LastLast

What is a good RTS similar to Warcraft 3, Starcraft 2 and Age of Empires?

I loved all three of the games in the title and I am curious if there are others out there. And no, I don't mean Total War games, I like RTS' with storyline and ones where you have to build structures, train units and gather resources.

---------- Post added 2013-01-08 at 02:25 AM ----------

And don't say I haven't searched, because I have. Don't assume things like most others do.

Deleted
    Age of Mythology, Total Annihilation, every Command and Conquer RTS game until Tiberium Twilight, WH40k: Dawn of War, Rise of Nations, Rise of Legends, Homeworld (prob best story of any RTS), Dark Reign, Dune, Empire Earth, Black and White 1/2. So many to choose from but most are old school as base building RTS games in the style of Dune are pretty much dead besides StarCraft.

Age of Mythology is alot of fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Kejinx View Post
    Age of Mythology, Total Annihilation, every Command and Conquer RTS game until Tiberium Twilight, WH40k: Dawn of War, Rise of Nations, Rise of Legends, Homeworld (prob best story of any RTS), Dark Reign, Dune, Empire Earth, Black and White 1/2. So many to choose from but most are old school as base building RTS games in the style of Dune are pretty much dead besides StarCraft.
    Holy shit that's a lot of games. O_o I did not expect that many. Thanks a lot! That'll last a few years haha.

Deleted
    The RTS games with base building seems to be a very dying breed

Quote Originally Posted by Einherjarn View Post
    what other kind of rts could there be?

Age of Mythology was very good back then... basically like AoE. i for one really enjoyed it, however i didnt really enjoy the expansion to it.

If you try it/play it... then i wouldnt recommend the expansion, but thats just my opinion.

10+ Year Old Account
    Lord of the Rings: The Battle for Middle-Earth 2 is a great RTS. It's smaller than WC3, as the max amount of players/teams is 8, but there's far more strategy and hero units involved.
    There has been an awakening... Have you felt it?

Quote Originally Posted by Raybourne View Post
    Company of Heroes seems more about creating units and unit control than base building
    If there's one thing World of Warcraft players hate more than people who don't play, it's people that do play but not as much as them.

Try out Xcom. I like it a lot.
    Thank You Shyama for the sig again!!

well there are other strategy games, not sure if you can call them an RTS, such as the Total War series

probably my favorite games as an RTS (or real time tactics if you want to be specific) are the Myth series of games

10+ Year Old Account
    Dawn of War series. They're quite good, but the game doesn't feel responsive and the UI is awful. Also, the community is fairly small.
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/PizzaSHARK
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Cailan Ebonheart View Post
    I also do landscaping on weekends with some mexican kid that I "hired". He's real good because he's 100% obedient to me and does everything I say while never complaining. He knows that I am the man in the relationship and is completely submissive towards me as he should be.
    Quote Originally Posted by SUH View Post
    Crissi the goddess of MMO, if i may. ./bow

Quote Originally Posted by Vallin View Post
    Try out Xcom. I like it a lot.
    Xcom is fun, but it's very far from an RTS. RTS means real-time strategy- Xcom is a turned based game.

Quote Originally Posted by Eldryth View Post
    Xcom is fun, but it's very far from an RTS. RTS means real-time strategy- Xcom is a turned based game.
    I know its not an RTS, but its still fun haha. To me, its like a blend of the two worlds. Got a nice science tech path you can take along with turn based strategy...just beware of the grenade aiming...
    Thank You Shyama for the sig again!!

I would suggest the Warhammer 40K Dawn of War Series. DoW2 games are squad-based, so they may not be what you are looking for. The original Company of Heroes is also very good.

Deleted
    red alert is the best!

Deleted
    Don't think anyone has mentioned Supreme Commander, which I like quite a bit.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Einherjarn View Post
    Indeed however we can always hope Planetary Annhiliation brings the genre back to its feet http://planetaryannihilation.com/ it looks amazing.

OT: I can recommend Dungeon Keeper 1&2 aswell they arent traditional RTS games but its close also if you liked them you can try A Game of Dwarves even tought its still quite buggy its a fun game.

hijacking the thread..

Am I the only one who liked "Constructor" series? (Street Wars being the following of the series) I think it is considered a RTS

I am still praying for a following up game of those series...

No thread hijacking please. Post on topic, or create a new thread if you want to discuss another topic. Infracted. -Edge
    Last edited by Edge-; 2013-01-08 at 06:34 AM.

the age of mythology campaign is awesome.
    so is the warhammer dawn of war campaign.
    believe there was a followup aswell to the warhammer game.