10+ Year Old Account
    In a bar. Somewhere that carries Khalua, cream and Vodka

Sound gear. Audiophile help would be lovely.

I am not expecting to get all of the answers right away here, but I am not really ready to sift through loads of pages in head-fi to find a few straight opinions on the (cheap) amp/DAC that I am looking at.

FiiO E9k and FiiOE17 is the combo I am looking at currently, and have heard/seen decent things about FiiO for the budget minded consumer, i.e. me.

If someone could suggest something similar for me to take a look at, along with some lovely powered speakers, it would be much appreciated.

As for budget: I would like to spend ~$400 on the amp/DAC and maybe $300 on a pair of speakers. I know, not much, but I already have a couple lovely pairs of cans and would like to drive them better along with hopefully providing better sound output.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyanotical View Post
    anyone want doughnuts? i hear there is a great shop in Vancouver

Unfamiliar with those specifc ones (I have the Fiio e5 though, does what it's supposed to for portable use).
    O2+ODAC seems to be a popular budget combo http://www.jdslabs.com/item.php?fetchitem=48
    http://www.amazon.com/Audioengine-D1...4&sr=8-2-fkmr0 seems to be a popular low-cost DAC.

Speakers, there are a lot of different kinds, availible at different places. Are yhou in the US?

10+ Year Old Account
    I am in the states. There are, unfortunately, not really any great audio shops around that I would be able to really test any speakers though. Good cans around this area are Beats. I don't believe anyone has even heard of Grado (except for myself, and that after research online) This of course just being anecdotal evidence.

I will look into the D1 a bit more. I also was kindof looking at their speakers, possibly the A5+ (if I end up going with a cheaper amp/DAC combo, that would afford me the ability to pick up such lovely speakers)

Thank you for that input though. I will be looking forward to seeing anything else people may suggest by the time I roll out of bed in the morning.

SChiit magni+modi is a great combo that recently came up, as is the O2/Odac.
    "Marketing is what you do when your product is no good."

10+ Year Old Account
    I did look at the Magni/Modi, and would like to have a couple inputs for the DAC, which it does not have.

The O2/Odac also seems quite nice, but the input there is one analog/USB.

I should have been a bit more specific last night, but I was a tad drunk when writing the thread... ANYWAY! The inputs I would like to have are USB and optical, both of which I would be able to have on the D1 or the FiiO E17. I also would like something with speaker outs for a pair of powered speakers. I know it is fairly specific, but if others are available in that price range, please guide me to them.

Edit: For Schiit, I would also have to step all the way up to Lyr/Bifrost for the speaker outs on the amp also. That obviously puts it way over my budget unfortunately.
    Last edited by Idrinkwhiterussians; 2013-01-08 at 02:28 PM.

Deleted
    Just so you know, the Fiio amps and DACs are all for headphone use and are not made to drive speakers.
    You can use the DAC for speakers but if you are looking for proper sound for speakers, you might want to go for some with an integrated amp and a soundcard for your computer. You will not feel the extra power from a headphone amp on a pair of speakers, but it might make a noisier soundstage. I have the E7 (the generation before 17) and it's lovely, it doesn't give you that much more volume, but what it does is give you a wider soundstage and makes it even clearer than just a pair of good headphones can manage.
    I have tried to use the DAC with a 32ohm ghettoblaster and it added extra noise at higher volumes.

I can tell you that Fiio feels really good with its aluminium finish and (atleast the e7 did) comes with a pouch, a silicone case and various cords (including a mediocre but very practical short male/male jackstick.)

EDIT: Oh yeah, if your headphones are 200ohm+ don't expect high volumes, if you don't know the ressistance in yours, they will probably be 24/32ohm.
    Last edited by mmoc4c2ce9ba14; 2013-01-08 at 07:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Idrinkwhiterussians View Post
    I am in the states. There are, unfortunately, not really any great audio shops around that I would be able to really test any speakers though. Good cans around this area are Beats. I don't believe anyone has even heard of Grado (except for myself, and that after research online) This of course just being anecdotal evidence.

I will look into the D1 a bit more. I also was kindof looking at their speakers, possibly the A5+ (if I end up going with a cheaper amp/DAC combo, that would afford me the ability to pick up such lovely speakers)

Thank you for that input though. I will be looking forward to seeing anything else people may suggest by the time I roll out of bed in the morning.
    Every single state/city has some type of sound recording studio or radio station very near by. Now it seems ignorant but a lot of these businesses will gladly point you in their suppliers direction as when you say so and so referred me it makes them look great. In terms of finding a quality store in your area these are your options, personally I have seriously 5 audio stores within 20 miles, but we have a happening nightly bar scene.

---------- Post added 2013-01-08 at 08:32 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Caumen View Post
    Just so you know, the Fiio amps and DACs are all for headphone use and are not made to drive speakers.
    You can use the DAC for speakers but if you are looking for proper sound for speakers, you might want to go for some with an integrated amp and a soundcard for your computer. You will not feel the extra power from a headphone amp on a pair of speakers, but it might make a noisier soundstage. I have the E7 (the generation before 17) and it's lovely, it doesn't give you that much more volume, but what it does is give you a wider soundstage and makes it even clearer than just a pair of good headphones can manage.
    I have tried to use the DAC with a 32ohm ghettoblaster and it added extra noise at higher volumes.

I can tell you that Fiio feels really good with its aluminium finish and (atleast the e7 did) comes with a pouch, a silicone case and various cords (including a mediocre but very practical short male/male jackstick.)

EDIT: Oh yeah, if your headphones are 200ohm+ don't expect high volumes, if you don't know the ressistance in yours, they will probably be 24/32ohm.
    Quality headphones should range from 75-150~ 300+ being for use with a lot amplification going through a chain of headphones, or redundancy type situations as they can take an asswhooping better than lower ohm speakers. Hence why it is so easy to blow out a 0ohm subwoofer, with incorrect amplification,
    Last edited by Milkshake86; 2013-01-08 at 08:38 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Milkshake86 View Post

Quality headphones should range from 75-150~ 300+ being for use with a lot amplification going through a chain of headphones, or redundancy type situations as they can take an asswhooping better than lower ohm speakers. Hence why it is so easy to blow out a 0ohm subwoofer, with incorrect amplification,
    Which is why i say that he should't expect high volumes with 200 ohm + headphones with a mobile amp.
    I looked a little into it and the E9 desktop seems to be able to drive headphones up to 600 ohm.

10+ Year Old Account
    I wasn't asking for something to drive the speakers, as I was looking for powered monitors (I.E. AudioEngine A5+) and something with a line out for said speakers. It does seem that the AE- D1 might be my best bet for the budget. That also affords me the luxury of getting the aforementioned A5+.

I also am in the middle of nowhere right now, so it might be a bit different than having a hoppin bar/nightlife scene. In fact, most people are in bed by 9-10 at the latest. Scary I know. Thank you for the tip about talking with a studio though. I am sure next time I am in the city, I will be able to get my ass over to a place to ask.

Edit: It does seem I really need to not be drinking when I try to write a thread.