Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Well there are a lot of people that like to post their opinion, and they stay on the post for a while, but with the time they know that the discuccion will become repetitive and, maybe one will understand the poster idea but others will not so the poster will have to answer to them, but them someone else that didn't wanted to read the whole threat will ask the same question or some will just ignore the other person idea or thoughs, like most of the debates..., is really unlikely to change someone else opinion or idea of X thing in a post unless you are in a informative threat...

Quote Originally Posted by Seegtease View Post
    I've never understood it. Why do people want to be part of a discussion community, but then go to a thread, barely skim the OP, read no other posts, give your opinion and never look back at the thread later? What's the point? Is it fun to do this? I'm not saying you need to read every post in a thread, but at least make an effort.

Or worse, just giving a 1-2 word answer to a question posted by the OP? Do people not want to participate? Why would you give an answer and not explain why you said what you said?

It just seems like there's no point in being part of a social community that centers around discussion when you don't want to discuss anything. "QFT" or "/thread" and comments like that are the worst offenders of all. Personally, I don't post in a thread unless I feel I have something constructive to add and I always return to check for responses for awhile.

It's the whole point of forums!
    For me, I don't give a s hit about discussion with people on the internet. But if there's a question and I know the answer, I'll give it and never look back cuz I don't care in the slightest what somebody has to say about my answer. IMO forums aren't for discussion among friends unless it's an off-top forum or such, but rather to gain insight and get help where needed.

To be honest, I don't post for the player base. I would love to see a thread I make grow to get real attention from the people that matter. Not to be an ass but I really have no interest in what anyone thinks about any post I make. I play the game, develop an opinion and sometimes post about it, be it good or bad.

Because it came up on the Recent Forum Posts section.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

10+ Year Old Account
    That's fine. I do that on long threads too, you can still wiggle your way into a discussion. Just read the last 2 pages of posts and see if somebody there makes you raaaaaage and respond :P
    I do that more often then some may realize. Sometimes just some posts make me go "You are wrong, bad and should feel bad!" I don't say it to them but I think about it even though I shouldn't. Sometimes I come out and be very well not so good for intelligent discussion. I'm trying to get into that habit on forums recently. No guarantees though.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, in the big discussion threads where your gripes are most relevant, even with the thread suscribed and such... playing the "spot the posts that quoted me" game is painful, so I instead just choose to lurk discussion posts 99% of the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Maged View Post
    For me, I don't give a s hit about discussion with people on the internet. But if there's a question and I know the answer, I'll give it and never look back cuz I don't care in the slightest what somebody has to say about my answer. IMO forums aren't for discussion among friends unless it's an off-top forum or such, but rather to gain insight and get help where needed.
    No, that is not the purpose of forums. Insight and help is one of the functions, but it's not the sole purpose. You're right, some threads do not warrant more than a response. A guy asking for relationship advice doesn't necessitate that you follow up beyond your response. But if someone (since it's a hot topic for example) says "should guns be banned?" and you just go in an post what you think and never go back, you're missing the entire point of the thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Ssith View Post
    so. preferring to not get sucked into unwinnable arguments means i don't get an opinion?
    You get an opinion, but why express it on discussion matters? It'd be like walking into a conversation a group of people were having, saying some controversial statement, then running away before they could respond. Somehow, online, this is acceptable behavior:

Quote Originally Posted by Calzaeth View Post
    so I just toss in my carefully worded opinion, then get the fuck out of dodge
    It's remarkable what the internet does to how people act. Some things are just not okay but anonymity allows people to ignore the most basics of etiquette.

---------- Post added 2013-01-08 at 07:46 AM ----------

people on the internet
    Why has our society gotten to a point to where "people on the internet" are not actually considered the same as "people in real life"? They're both people. Why does the medium have to make all the difference?

Lol you sound great
    Why am I back here, I don't even play these games anymore

The problem with the internet is parallel to its greatest achievement: it has given the little man an outlet where he can be heard. Most of the time however, the little man is a little man because he is not worth hearing.

10+ Year Old Account
    I've wondered the same for a long time. I enter a discussion to discuss, not to just state my opinion and leave, since there's no real point to that. As you said, there are threads that don't require any follow-ups but I usually stick around anyway, in case someone does reply to me with a question. I also have way too much time on my hands.
    Cave Cave Deus Videt

Deleted
    Before I become a mod, I just used to post a comment then leave, but I'm a lot more active now where ever I post, that is, outside of GD, because I cba being there all day waiting for an answer. xD

Well, sometimes there is no room for much discussion and/or the OP can really be answered with only yes/no + a few words about your reasoning. I usually always check a few times if someone quoted my posts so I can answer them, but sometimes I just want to give my opinion and leave it at that if nobody got any further questions.

Deleted
    Good question. I can tell you why I do it.

Sometimes I simply don't have time or am not in the mood to read a thread even when it has just 3 pages or so.

However, if there's a thread of 10+ pages, I doubt I'd read it all unless it's something really interesting in the discussion, since I feel I'd waste time. I'm not even counting threads with 50 pages already, at those I'll read the OP, reply, see a few hours later if someone replied to me, if not leave the thread.

10+ Year Old Account
    499/500 threads on mmo is based on opinion, and just as often OP is asking for other users opinion just like you are.., no reason to go back and check anything as there's nothing to debate, it's opinion based

Cya

In my case, sometimes I just don't have anything more to say.

And sometimes, I know some guy is gonna reply to my post just to go "you're wrong lol XD" so I don't bother coming back.

What is there that needs a follow up?
    OP is aksing for my opinion i state it and be gone. no need to come back my opinion is already there.
    If the discussion is so strong it actually may change my opinion i consider coming back but forget about it later as something else caught my attention meanwhile.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Banzhe View Post
    499/500 threads on mmo is based on opinion, and just as often OP is asking for other users opinion just like you are.., no reason to go back and check anything as there's nothing to debate, it's opinion based

Cya
    But.. but it's because it's about opinions that you can discuss it. If the OP asked for something that could be proven as fact with a source there's close to nothing to discuss after providing a correct answer. Only thing there's to discuss there is the validity of the source. When it's about opinions you can get a real discussion going. Trying to argue for your point of view or just discussing something with like-minded posters to dig deeper into a subject and learn more! D:

I wonder how posters in this forum talk with friends irl sometimes.. "Hey, look at this cool game" "Yeah, that's cool. See you tomorrow." *The End* >_<
    Last edited by BHD; 2013-01-08 at 11:51 AM.
    Cave Cave Deus Videt

Quote Originally Posted by Banzhe View Post

Cya
    Opinions are the very things that require discussion. Nobody has a debate about solid facts. If someone asks "Is the sky blue?" we aren't going to sit there are argue about what's already established. The best discussions always come from a hybrid of opinions and facts. Basically, your interpretation of the facts is your opinion, and that's VERY much open for discussion. I think keyboard and mouse is better than a controller because you have significantly more keybinds (fact) and you control where you look with your wrist rather than your thumb (fact). But there are other issues open for debate that are opinions, like whether or not that many keybinds are necessary, or if one can be as accurate with their thumbs, and so on.

Good discussions will always be full of both opinion matters and factual matters.

Quote Originally Posted by ripponesan View Post
    What is there that needs a follow up?
    OP is aksing for my opinion i state it and be gone. no need to come back my opinion is already there.
    If the discussion is so strong it actually may change my opinion i consider coming back but forget about it later as something else caught my attention meanwhile.
    The the OP is asking for personal advice, sure. Some cases, you can be helpful and contribute without discussing much, just sharing a personal experience.

But a large amount of threads are designed to invoke discussion. You go in, you say "Guns are bad" and never come back, you have effectively added nothing at all to the thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Badhairday View Post
    But.. but it's because it's about opinions that you can discuss it. If the OP asked for something that could be proven as fact with a source there's close to nothing to discuss after providing a correct answer. Only thing there's to discuss there is the validity of the source. When it's about opinions you can get a real discussion going. Trying to argue for your point of view or just discussing something with like-minded posters to dig deeper into a subject and learn more! D:

I wonder how posters in this forum talk with friends irl sometimes.. "Hey, look at this cool game" "Yeah, that's cool. See you tomorrow." *The End* >_<
    I like you.

10+ Year Old Account
    so. preferring to not get sucked into unwinnable arguments means i don't get an opinion?
    Why would you share your opinion and leave?

Quote Originally Posted by Xanjori View Post
    Sometimes Im not interested in what the OP has brought up, but if someone else says something I respond to that point. I dont see why a discussion should only revolve around whatever is contained within the OP.
    indeed.

(also I wont be looking at this thread again ;D)

10+ Year Old Account
    Because some people are actually busy and cannot post 24/7 and by the time they come back to check on their posts 10 or 20 pages are added to the discussion and anything that has been asked has ended. I only follow the discussions when I am online and I usually do not come back to a thread if my response was buried during the discussion.

---------- Post added 2013-01-08 at 07:51 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Hraklea View Post
    Why would you share your opinion and leave?
    Because he can?