Poll: What would you like to see?

Page 1 of 37
... LastLast

The big question of prostitution

So should it be legal or illegal?
    Been reading a few threads lately regarding various forms of prostitution and their seems to be some difference of opinion on it and would like to know what MMO thinks of it.
    Please share you opinions, and when we are talking legal, I do not mean decriminalisation, I mean turning it into a fully regulated industry where rules such as regular health checks, full use of protection for all services etc.. are enforced. Things such as street walking is still illegal and obviously smuggling girls etc are still illegal.

I am happy with the laws of my state and various other states in Australia, I live in Queensland where it is legal, but their are rules on health and protection. I think it is a fine business as long as it stays regulated and a strong effort is made to stop illegal prostitution and the sex slave trade. Both parties in legal prostitution get what they want, the prostitute gets their money while the client gets their jollies.

What are your thoughts of prostitution with regard to your countries/state laws and if you want them changed.
    Please do not mention and sexual activities or things of that nature so the thread may remain open
    Last edited by TheBeardedOne; 2013-01-08 at 07:37 AM.

There is no reason for it not to be legal and well regulated, to help increase the safety for all involved.

There are no moral reasons to prevent it from being legal without attempting to force your personal morality upon other people in areas where what they do has no impact upon you.

I live in Japan where prostitution is illegal. That said, they have some wierd rules which makes a lot still legal.
    In The Netherlands, where I am originally from, prostitution is legal (within boundries obviously).

That said, I personally think prostitution should be legal and I don't understand why in a lot of places it isn't. If a woman (or a man for that matter), wants to sell her (his) body I don't see why they shouldn't be allowed to do so. It is their body and afterwards it is just the way the market works. If someone would really want to stop whoring, they should try to change the people who're willing to pay for sex. Not the ones that offer the sex!

That said, you see a lot of teenage prostitution which is pretty much legal everywhere. Don't get me wrong, I mean the teenagers who're out drinking and will give some head for a few drinks. This happens a lot and one could argue it is a bad thing, I don't know. If that's legal, why wouldn't actual prostitution be legal?

If you even take it a step further, if you're going out trying to score. You're basically investing your time and money (buying drinks costs money after all) to get laid. Which is basically the exact same thing. You pay, either with money or with time and drinks. Result is the same!

At the end of the day, a prostitute has (or should have) as much control over the people she (he) sleeps with as anyone else. Generally it will be more people though and they'll end up with some money or drinks..

10+ Year Old Account
    Other than the fact that it's a profession most people would not choose if they had better options, I see no reason to make it illegal.

Prostitution is depressing.

10+ Year Old Account
    I have no idea why it is not legal. More religious bullshit. At least that is the reason in the US. Christians think they are awesome.

Infracted: Please refrain from generalizing and stereotyping large groups of people such as Christians.
    Last edited by Wikiy; 2013-01-08 at 09:39 PM.
    I like sandwiches

wow i cant believe this poll so far. does no one watch law and order svu?

10+ Year Old Account
    i'd imagine in addition to the obvious religious objections to it, the other reaosn it is is because of the ease the girls get exploited. My own opinion: if a girl, and ONLY the girl, wanted to do it, ok keep it legal. however, if anyone is essentially making sure prostitution is her ONLY option, like pimps, I'd probably would keep that part illegal.

You can sell it but not buy it here, which I guess makes it illegal? Personally I think it should be legal.

10+ Year Old Account
    Brothel keeping, living off the proceeds of someone else's prostitution and street solicitation is legal here(new zealand)
    I'm gonna let 'em know that Dolemite is back on the scene! I'm gonna let 'em know that Dolemite is my name, and fuckin' up motherfuckers is my game!

10+ Year Old Account
    No, sex is gross!

This biggest issue with prostitution is that its makes adultery (cheating on someone you are married with) very easy. All sorts of fun in divorce proceedings. Also the world has a problem with sex slaves. Legal prostitution would make it easier.

Quote Originally Posted by obdigore View Post
    There is no reason for it not to be legal and well regulated, to help increase the safety for all involved.

There are no moral reasons to prevent it from being legal without attempting to force your personal morality upon other people in areas where what they do has no impact upon you.
    This should pretty much end the thread.

Isn't it strange that (in countries where it is illegal) it is illegal to buy something that can be obtained freely?

Making prostitution legal will make it safer.

Quote Originally Posted by Natureseer View Post
    Which is based in a place where it is illegal and unregulated,

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by pacox View Post
    No, sex is gross!

This biggest issue with prostitution is that its makes adultery (cheating on someone you are married with) very easy. All sorts of fun in divorce proceedings. Also the world has a problem with sex slaves. Legal prostitution would make it easier.
    I see your point about sex slavery, but adultery is legal, if moraly wrong. If the guy / gal doesnt have the willpower to keep it in his / her pants til the divorce, thats his / her fault and not prostitution's fault.

Quote Originally Posted by Natureseer View Post
    The current US policy creates a system that becomes exploitative for the women involved, hence the wealth of SVU material. The exploitation and violence associated with street walking is BECAUSE prostitution is illegal.

Making prostitution legal allows a system with regulations, where women can choose to do the work if they want, can get fair pay, get health checkups, and won't be taken advantage of because they will be protected by the law and by their employers.

Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    I see your point about sex slavery, but adultery is legal, if moraly wrong. If the guy / gal doesnt have the willpower to keep it in his / her pants til the divorce, thats his / her fault and not prostitution's fault.
    The problem of sex slavery is that is still around even if it is illegal, and i am sure the majority of clients would rather see a girl/guy that is their willingly rather than been forced which is far more likely in a regulated business.

Voted the third option because i'm horny.

10+ Year Old Account
    No, sex is gross!

Actually sex slaves happen for different reasons. One of them being that prostitution is illegal. If it was legal then there would be no reason for an exploited woman to talk to the police. As it is, if she goes to the police now, she's a tad bit screwed, again, for different reasons.

Amsterdam is pretty famous because of prostitution and we don't get to hear many bad things going on there.

No, sex is gross!

I think you are missing the point. Making it legal would include strict rules and proabably laws. I believe making it legal wouldn't make increase the number of sex slaves nor make it easier, but harder to maintain. An increase in adultery could be an issue though. There might be some actions that could be taken, like an identity-check or something like that. Although, people would whine about "privacy", I'd bet.

Quote Originally Posted by ejfimp View Post
    I think you are missing the point. Making it legal would include strict rules and proabably laws. I believe making it legal wouldn't make increase the number of sex slaves nor make it easier, but harder to maintain. An increase in adultery could be an issue though. There might be some actions that could be taken, like an identity-check or something like that. Although, people would whine about "privacy", I'd bet.
    Why should the government care if people are adulterers? Calling up a prostitute is probably going to be more expensive than buying a couple (8) drinks for a woman at a club/bar then going back to her place.