Poll: What would you like to see?

Page 37 of 37 FirstFirst ...
    10+ Year Old Account
    See that is a problem consent can't be the only thing that prevents someone from buying something from another person. If you consent to me purchasing the mutilation of your body is that okay? you gave me consent? What about me mutilating your childs body if all we need is parental consent? You can't base something as okay or legal on the sole fact that some individual might give 'consent'.
    I don't know if you missed the "assisted suicide" discussion the last few years, but consent doesnt make illegal legal. But in the case of prostitution, no law would be broken by the act itself, only the law that prostitution is just illegal.

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    The standard measure used is whether it harms the other person.

Sticking something into their eye and blinding that eye? That's harm, and usually the law frowns on that.
    If someone's got a glass eye, and you want them to take it out so you can stick your finger in there, and you'll pay them $20? That's totally legal.

Prostitution is comparable to the latter, not the former, since it involves sex, and harm is not a component of sex.
    Yet to some harm is a component of sex, and a majority of those can be considered woman since to a certain amount of woman sex is painful.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Icefalcon28 View Post
    Yet to some harm is a component of sex, and a majority of those can be considered woman since to a certain amount of woman sex is painful.
    If sex is painful you're doing it wrong or she's got some infection causing the problems. ._.

Quote Originally Posted by Icefalcon28 View Post
    Also since you brought it up what is wrong with a man marrying a child? or a man marrying multiple woman? or a woman marrying multiple men? or a man or woman marrying an animal?
    Marriage is a contract, as such a minor can not agree to a marriage. Nor can an animal. But as long as you have consenting adults why should there be a limit to who can marry another? Marriage has always been a way for families to gain wealth and property. In the old ages, two families would marry to combine their wealth and kingdoms.

Todays marriage has gotten twisted with religion and now government with its tax laws etc... (yet another topic)

---------- Post added 2013-01-09 at 10:30 PM ----------

What ever two consenting adults want to do behind their own closed doors is nobody's business.

10+ Year Old Account
    By legalizing prostitution you are stating that selling of an organ or service of an organ is lawful and create an opportunity for others to use that law to now sell other organs. Of course you can point out clearly that only say genitals are available to sell as a service but it creates a loophole down the road that can be taken advantage of by others.
    We do it all the time. By the logic that you're using, many jobs are just selling hands, eyes or even brain matter.

Prostitution, even legalized prostitution as it stands now, may not be an ideal job. That isn't really the question. Working in fast food isn't exactly an ideal job either and there are some questions that could be raised about the military recruiting from disadvantaged social sectors. Life is full of such situations.

The illegal form of prostitution already exists. Keeping it illegal hasn't made it vanish, nor has it improved conditions for prostitutes working in the lower ranges of that work. Human trafficking also exists, along with its related businesses which facilitate illegal immigration. Housekeepers and nannies are legal, but there are examples of each that range from illegal immigration to outright human trafficking. These things all involve social issues that can and should be addressed separate from the question of whether it should be legal for a person to sell sexual services. Let's call it that since "prostitute" is something of a loaded word.

Should the sale of sexual services be legalized? Is it actually worse than other jobs on the low end of our society? Patriotism aside, going into the Army can get your legs and genitals blown off, leave you blind, crippled or suffering from long term mental issues such as PTSD. Is that really so much better? Go into a McDonalds or your favorite coffee shop and ask yourself if you really believe the people you see doing the routine jobs want to be doing the same work when they are sixty. If they are, do you think that they will have been about to set aside enough money for a good future, buy a house, and maybe raise a kid? I suspect the answer to both questions would be no.

With that in mind, let's think about a young woman, let's call her Roxanne. Why shouldn't Roxanne be able to choose to be a waitress, a bartender or a sex worker? Because men might commit adultery? Then let's make work illegal, because men might be hitting on that bartender, they might flirt with that waitress, they might get distracted by their dental technician. Going back to my military example, there are some stories that guys on long deployments may get involved in other relationships or may find that their spouse has done so. We haven't made the military illegal. Adultery is a marriage issue, separate from the question of sex work.

In the US, I knew a reasonably attractive young woman who worked in a liquor store. She got hit on non-stop and despite the store being located in a mall a guy eventually pulled a knife and tried to rob her. Doing work that was legal didn't keep her from being exposed to those things. What do we gain if Roxanne can be a bartender and earn tips for looking good and flirting, but commits an illegal act if she agrees to perform oral sex on the beach instead of selling it as a drink?

Here, I know a fair number of young ladies who many might class as prostitutes, I even dated one a few times. I have a number of old injuries from several accidents. I go to several of the TCM massage places to control pain and keep range of motion. Even those places tend to be "pink light" and the masseuse gets paid a cut of whatever I pay, so it is hardly uncommon for them to suggest that they could provide additional services that "would be good for [my] health."

Going back to the bit I quoted at the start of this, why is it OK for Joey to sell his physical services by mowing lawns or shoveling driveways, but Roxanne can't sell a blow job?

10+ Year Old Account
    Anyone who wants to make it illegal for an individual to do what they want with there body with who they want in exchange for money, should quite literally go fuck themselves. You have no right to tell me who I can have sex with, even if it is out of desperation for money or services. Prostitution is terrible yes, but sometimes it can be a life saver for those who use it.
    If you don't like it, don't engage in it.
    Whats the worst that is going to happen? You might see a hooker walk out of a brothel? Oh no my feelings and morals are corrupted!! *sarcasm*.
    Get a grip and accept that the world is a horrible and dark place.

i think it should be legal and regulated, and taxed

10+ Year Old Account
    As long as prostitutes get the same protection under the law as any other worker as well as improving the conditions so that it is more profitable to be doing it legally (privately or as an industry) so that it forces the underground market to get out in the open, it would be a good thing for society if it became legal. It would be beneficial for the government since you can tax the whole thing as well as the legal system since the law would be getting a better grip around the criminality related to prostitutes like murder, illegal deportation, sex slaves, and violent acts aimed at the prostitutes.
    Last edited by Frozen Death Knight; 2013-01-10 at 03:14 PM.