ASUS enters the SSD market

http://www.techpowerup.com/178409/AS...-Pictured.html

Sadly it is a PCI-E drive for now
    But I'm really happy to see ASUS branching out.
    Intel i5-3570K @ 4.7GHz | MSI Z77 Mpower | Noctua NH-D14 | Corsair Vengeance LP White 1.35V 8GB 1600MHz
    Gigabyte GTX 670 OC Windforce 3X @ 1372/7604MHz | Corsair Force GT 120GB | Silverstone Fortress FT02 | Corsair VX450

ASUS is probably the best all-rounder when it comes to Graphics Cards (Although I prefer XFX for AMD and EVGA for Nvidia). I like their MOBOs over every other manufacturers.

So it's nice (although strange SSD to start with) to see them join the market. However they might only be making ROG stuff to do with SSD's, for the crazy enthusiast and not actually entering the normal SSD market, I guess time shall tell. Crucial and Intel have set a pretty damn high standard for SSD's though, so if they do enter it'll either have to be with weird and whacky stuff like this card, or really REALLY good quality SSD's.

Hopefully they will make some more!!!

Love me some ASUS products.

Oh boy.

We'll have to see how big they are and pricing. Performance should be top since it's ASUS after all.

Might grab 1 depending on how they turn out to be in the end

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Oh this is interesting, damn. PCIe x4, of course. I'm officially out until I replace this crap Asus motherboard I got ($170) that has horrible PCIe solutions. Look it up if you want, it's the Asus P8P67 B3 Rev
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

I would like to see more card based SSD like this. Unfortunately, these usually aren't stable and tend to cause blue screens...but their potential is definitly higher than Sata based SSD, tho Sata Express is coming...we will see.
    Warrax, Fury Warrior
    Silika, BM Hunter

Does a pci ssd support trim? Or is it with a driver you have to install?

Quote Originally Posted by Warrax View Post
    I would like to see more card based SSD like this. Unfortunately, these usually aren't stable and tend to cause blue screens...but their potential is definitly higher than Sata based SSD, tho Sata Express is coming...we will see.
    Depends on the company I would think. I bet this shit will be heavily tested, if ASUS releases a faulty product, there goes their reputation.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tehterokkar View Post
    Depends on the company I would think. I bet this shit will be heavily tested, if ASUS releases a faulty product, there goes their reputation.
    Then they have no reputation, cause over the decades they have released a few misses.

That being said, anyone know if they're going to use Micron or Intel memory?
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

Growing more and more dissatisfied with ASUS GPU solutions, their motherboards are nice but expensive.
    I won't make space for this drive in my personal build, and will have trouble recommending them.

Quote Originally Posted by Kujako View Post
    Then they have no reputation, cause over the decades they have released a few misses.

That being said, anyone know if they're going to use Micron or Intel memory?
    This is their first SSD(or even storage unit), if they flop it, it will be bad for them.

10+ Year Old Account
    Being its ROG I'd imagine its going to be quite expensive and most users won't be able to afford it. Not to mention the noticeable difference over a standard SATA 6Gbps SSD won't be significant enough for most people. Hopefully they pull it off better than OCZ's RevoDrives though and actually push out a quality product since so far PCI-E SSD's haven't necessarily been exceptional at all.

That said, I do believe that a s-ATA / PCI-e mash is the future for storage. I just wish modern mainstream platforms had more PCI-E lanes and that they refine the PCI-E storage a bit more.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tehterokkar View Post
    This is their first SSD(or even storage unit), if they flop it, it will be bad for them.
    Watch the video, technically it's not their first time into storage, since they've done external storage solutions and ODDs, but in terms of internal, yes, it is.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water