Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    WoW is to big of a game & people keep thinking it just gunna implode in a day or week or whenever another over hyped mess releases.
    I don't always hunt things, But when I do, It's because they're things & I'm a Bear.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by velde046 View Post
    Business is NOT about spending money, but more about earning money. So in order to keep stakeholders happy they need to spend as little money as possible to generate a more money than was spent (preferable a lot more). That's how it goes. And even though people have been asking for updated character models for a long time, a moajority feels that it's not that bad, at least no reason for giving up on the game. So then it's smarter from a business point of view to focus effort (and money) on parts of the game that need it more or are more profitable...
    And how do you make money? By spending money. Admittedly if you're a good capitalist you spend as little as possible for the highest return, but still...

I think we can predict a short-term revenue surge from people re-subbing to check out how their old characters look now, at least for a month or two. Beyond that (And I know WoW might have already peaked), updated character models look better in advertising material. They're a new selling point. They help market the game better. That can bring in new players.

Beyond that, you might even convince a few cynical players on the verge of unsubbing to come back.

You can't tell me that it isn't a profitable move to update the models.
    Knowledge is power, and power corrupts. So study hard and be evil.

I swear I read something about updating them this xpac?

They've kind of damned themselves with the new player models. The quality of models they added in MoP is remarkable, and no doubt they wanted to impress players with what WoW could do with its engine. But with the quality they've added, it just makes the old players models look more glaringly out of date. Its really something they should have foreseen when planning MoP.

I quit WoW after my annual pass ran out, right around when Mists came out. Guild mates were on a break, so I'm taking one now too.

If there were a reason for me to come back, Character models wouldn't be it - but it would definitely be a nice incentive. I had fun leveling up a Pandaren, and seeing their awesome models and animations. They really made my other characters look like crap in comparison though. I think new models would be something to look froward to if I came back.

I do agree that gear tends to cover up all character features, and having a feral druid as a main I rarely see my character out of form in raids or dungeons anyways, but I still have to put up with looking at everyone else in town and I'd rather see them look as good as some of the NPCs in the game.

Not at all. WoW's not going anywhere for a long time, and they'll be appreciated when they get here. Bitched about too, I'm sure, but what isn't?

Quote Originally Posted by Reyzzz View Post
    I can't think the last time I actually saw my character's model under all the armor and stuff.
    True this.

Epic!
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Synstir View Post
    I don't think it is too late at all.
    It is great that they're doing it... I am expecting it to be one of the selling points of the next xpac.
    It was kinda one of the selling points of the current expansion ..... Still looking forward to seeing the updates myself.

10+ Year Old Account
    New character models will be nice. They won't save the game if the game is going down in flames so I don't understand the 'too late' thing.

I presume we'll see them in the next year or so and the game will certainly still be around. So no, not too late.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerraw View Post
    Why would it be too late? More people are currently playing the game than in the past two years. WoW is far from "gone".
    Are you serious? WoW is dead. And has always been dead since Blizzard introduced Molten Core.
    Putin khuliyo

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Granyala View Post
    Yep. Updating all vanilla races is way to big for a content patch.
    Unless they got shit to offer on a content patch and it's to make up for it.

Quote Originally Posted by orissa View Post
    Are you serious? WoW is dead. And has always been dead since Blizzard introduced Molten Core.
    Tempted to report this comment as it is trollbait...but I don't wanna be like the Aholes who get me infracted over the smallest stuff.

Just don't do it please...

If anything the character model updates will be like a breath of fresh air as opposed to "too little, too late."

Anything over that stiff-ass running style of the humans will be welcome.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarac View Post
    Unless they got shit to offer on a content patch and it's to make up for it.

Tempted to report this comment as it is trollbait...but I don't wanna be like the Aholes who get me infracted over the smallest stuff.

Just don't do it please...
    Trollbait? No, it was sarcasm.
    Putin khuliyo

10+ Year Old Account
    It's not to late, I don't understand how it would be?
    HOOKED ON DIABLOL, GOOD TIMES ARE BEING HAD

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Keep in mind when comparing WoW's graphics to some of the other games. WoW isn't going anywhere, at least not anytime soon, unless there was a huge reason for the company to stop developing. Why is there more people playing this mmorpg and not others? Not to say others don't have a lot of people.

Deleted
    main reason that a lot of people continue to play wow is that it's safe... By that I mean you've spent the last 7 years playing it, you're knowledgeable, you know the lore, the characters, world, raids, items etc and it feels like home.

Other MMOs might be better right now but I wouldn't know, I like the comfort and security of WoW and the people within the game that I've known for years.

New models won't make people stay/leave but they'll be a nice addition to a game that still manages to look good all these years later.

10+ Year Old Account
    Of course not! It would only be too late if they were released during the last patch of the final expansion. Until then, improvements are just that - improvements.

I, for one, welcome updated undead models. The claw-as-big-as-the-finger look is really, really outdated.

This is going in the next expansion. You guys, come on, they are using it as a selling point. It's gonna be a big deal.

A lot of people within the dev team seem to love the idea and that's an incentive to say it isn't too late. That said, I couldn't care less. I'm one of those heathens who makes female Human alts because I think they're visually appealing and have expressive faces.
    Soothing Mist:"Healing them for a minor amount every 0.5 sec, until you take any other action."
    Jade Serpent Statue: "The statue will also begin casting Soothing Mist on your target. healing for 50% as much as yours. "
    [What's half of minor?]
    "Statue casts Soothing Mist at a nearby ally for toddler healing."

10+ Year Old Account
    I think the idea of new character models is a touchy subject for Blizzard. They are working on them but the project I imagine will take plenty of time. Not so much from a technical standpoint but also an artistic standpoint. Blizzard wants the next generation of character models to be recognizable and not take away from the image that define our characters present. So as few people can complain that they liked their old character model better than the new model that was implemented.