Thread: 5.2 Gear Change

Page 1 of 2
1
2
LastLast
  1. #1
    Brewmaster Grievuuz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Ringsted, Denmark.
    Posts
    1,334

    5.2 Gear Change

    Bit surprised noone's made a thread about it yet. What I'm talking about is this:



    ''The gear in 5.2 will work a bit differently.''

    What are you hoping for? Currently, with upgrades and a 7250 cp req for t1 weaps, starting late in the season makes it impossible to catch up unless you're a god-tier player. personally, I'm hoping for a tbc/wotlk mix of gear gating. Honor weapon, low-range rating requirement for offsets and t1 weapon, mid-range for main sets, semi-high for shoulders maybe and a high requirement for elite gear.

    With the current deflation (not even the top 100 3v3 teams on my BGroup is 2.2), they need to lower the requirements for elite gear too. 2.2 was fine in s7/8 as many, many teams were 2.2+, but these days only a fraction are achieving that, and it's becoming increasingly harder to compete with the gear gap.

    What are your 2 cents?
    Quote Originally Posted by Laraven View Post
    Umm, skinny guys with abs are like a fat girl with big boobs. It don't really count.
    Grievuuz#2550
    Skype: Kjarlot

  2. #2
    So I have been thinking about this as well, but I really just wanted to comment on your deflation of rating. My battlegroup (Stormstrike) currently has 39 teams above 2200 rating in 3v3. Yeah, 39. Only 5 are above 2400. I think for T2 weapons most pvpers are doing RBGs because of the insane cap you get with RBG and the relative ease at which you can gain rating as a non blessed class/spec.

    Honestly though, anything that allows me to finally be able to switch to warrior/mage/hunter/shaman/hpal will make me happy....

  3. #3
    Brewmaster Grievuuz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Ringsted, Denmark.
    Posts
    1,334
    I can't comment too much on the US realms, but on your particular battlegroup there are only ~25 or so, active teams (3+ members) making it even harder, and in the EU, the legit 2.2k+ RBG players are not outnumbering the amount of exploit carried players. Drastic measures need to be taken in my opinion.
    Quote Originally Posted by Laraven View Post
    Umm, skinny guys with abs are like a fat girl with big boobs. It don't really count.
    Grievuuz#2550
    Skype: Kjarlot

  4. #4
    Makes me think that those of us (including myself) who started in MoP a month or more behind and after trying to get back into PVP said "eff this I'll cap points and wait for next season" may get shafted. Couple the tweets in the OP with the following (which is on MMO-C home page currently):

    How do you feel about the players getting to 90 just now and not being able to play arena competitively due to being behind
    We want to reward players who keep playing. Too often in the past catch up was so easy that it trivialized accomplishments. (Source)
    So, since Mt. Everest was climbed the first time, have we put up gates to stop people from going up there?
    We don't put chair lifts up there... (Source)
    Also, they havent pu lifts because of technical limitations, not because of climbers having their achieve screwed
    I'd argue mountain climbers like to climb things that are challenging, not things that anyone can stroll up. (Source)
    But you brought this trivialization of content yourselves starting with patch 3.2 >.> … what have you learned since then?
    We learned not to let players catch up so trivially that it negates everyone else's accomplishments. (Source)
    Greg, you need to stop blaming the wrong things for cataclysm failures. Catch up mechanics dont hurt the game
    We just disagree on that. I understand you have very strong feelings about how things should work. (Source)

    Soooo...it's not ok for someone to "catch up" to the top ranked players in terms of gear then somehow beat them in matches of different skill players with equal gear? Not exactly sure I follow his logic here. Besides, I don't get how someone who struggles in the 1600 bracket (even in full gear) affects the accomplishments of someone at 2.2k. What said 1600 person does affect, though, is all the new folks starting up at 1500 MMR with next to no gear, who then proceed to get stomped (unless as OP noted, they're a god tier player).

    Right now I'm remaining pessimistic, but not going to throw in the towel completely just yet.

  5. #5
    inb4 they make upgrades for upgraded malev gear

  6. #6
    Pit Lord Malgru's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    My computer chair
    Posts
    2,410
    maybe they'll make it so your elite 5 piece gives extra stats again, instead of upgrading...

  7. #7
    Honestly the elite gear is too cool for school, apart from the fact i have never even tried getting rated that high ( i highly doubt it), i would like to get some special rewards every now and again. I would really like this system, it would also kick up some competition in the 1700-1800 bracket which is pretty cool. Dno why they ever even changed it to be honest. But knowing GC it wont be a revert but a change all together.

  8. #8
    Will we still be able to purchase S12 gear once 5.2 comes?

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Malgru View Post
    maybe they'll make it so your elite 5 piece gives extra stats again, instead of upgrading...
    That would be nice.

    Hoping for a return of low rating requirement for off pieces. I really enjoyed the sense of progression.
    Or a normalisation of gear in competitive play. It sucks starting the season late and losing matches for not simply having a pvp weapon.
    Never going to happen; but I can dream.

    I agree with you Kazgrel. GC/devs just seem out of touch at the moment.

  10. #10
    Old God apepi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Mostly harmless
    Posts
    10,979
    I hope that you would still get a low amount of conquest points if you hit your cap, then even if you hit your cap you still get progression.
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

  11. #11
    I'm going to throw this out there and say 5.2 elite gear requirements are going to be fairly different.

    A wild guess would be they might make it so elite gear is purchasable after a consecutive number of arena games, for example 2.2k rating will be removed and a replacement requirement would be...."Elite gear is available after 80 consecutive arena matches, minimum of 5 per week a maximum of 10 may count per week" (basically 2 months of consecutive arena matches). If you fail to reach the minimum you'll start over again.

    Forces more people to pvp consecutively as well as making it a fairly easy process to gain elite gear, so what if by the second half of a season most dedicated people have elite gear, isn't that what everybody wants to achieve anyway?

    THEN WHATS THE FREAKIN POINT OF RATINGS?
    Achievements, Tabbards, Banners, Misc Items, Mounts, Titles and Bragging rights.
    Last edited by Smashpanda; 2013-01-03 at 05:53 AM.
    Monk Guides/Tips & Fun unique videos check it out:
    YouTube.com/SmashUpGaming

  12. #12
    Dreadlord aeir's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    most places, recently
    Posts
    781
    They should REALLY remove the point cap from conquest weapons. It's really silly, since the LFR weapons in Terrace are of higher iLvl.

    Other than that, after adding the upgrade system they should lower the costs of the conquest weapons as well. Shit just takes too long if you come late season.
    in depth.

  13. #13
    Bought the xpack 1 week before Christmas.
    Levelled 85-90, stepped into BGs, got steamrolled.
    Bought crafted pvp starter gear, added 1 second to my life expectancy.
    Finished gearing with dreadful and using a blue heroic dungeon weapon that I upgraded I do just about OK in random BGs unless anyone geared notices me then it's steamrolling time again.
    Stepped into arena to try and bump rating to get more conquest, got steamrolled.
    Stepped into RatedBGs to get to the higher conquest cap, got steamrolled.

    Fun game so far.

  14. #14
    Pit Lord Malgru's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    My computer chair
    Posts
    2,410
    Quote Originally Posted by sporadic View Post
    Bought the xpack 1 week before Christmas.
    Levelled 85-90, stepped into BGs, got steamrolled.
    Bought crafted pvp starter gear, added 1 second to my life expectancy.
    Finished gearing with dreadful and using a blue heroic dungeon weapon that I upgraded I do just about OK in random BGs unless anyone geared notices me then it's steamrolling time again.
    Stepped into arena to try and bump rating to get more conquest, got steamrolled.
    Stepped into RatedBGs to get to the higher conquest cap, got steamrolled.

    Fun game so far.
    once you get t1 nonupgraded, you get around 20% pvp power. you just gotta wait it out.

  15. #15
    Brewmaster Grievuuz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Ringsted, Denmark.
    Posts
    1,334
    Quote Originally Posted by Malgru View Post
    once you get t1 nonupgraded, you get around 20% pvp power. you just gotta wait it out.
    Takes 4 weeks w/ the standard cap, which you can't hope to exceed in sh*t gear. 4 weeks. -.-'
    Quote Originally Posted by Laraven View Post
    Umm, skinny guys with abs are like a fat girl with big boobs. It don't really count.
    Grievuuz#2550
    Skype: Kjarlot

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by Grievuuz View Post
    Bit surprised noone's made a thread about it yet. What I'm talking about is this:



    ''The gear in 5.2 will work a bit differently.''

    What are you hoping for? Currently, with upgrades and a 7250 cp req for t1 weaps, starting late in the season makes it impossible to catch up unless you're a god-tier player. personally, I'm hoping for a tbc/wotlk mix of gear gating. Honor weapon, low-range rating requirement for offsets and t1 weapon, mid-range for main sets, semi-high for shoulders maybe and a high requirement for elite gear.

    With the current deflation (not even the top 100 3v3 teams on my BGroup is 2.2), they need to lower the requirements for elite gear too. 2.2 was fine in s7/8 as many, many teams were 2.2+, but these days only a fraction are achieving that, and it's becoming increasingly harder to compete with the gear gap.

    What are your 2 cents?

    well the new MMR system shud make 2.2k more obtainable anyway based on the theories so maybe thts why the weapons changing

  17. #17
    Warchief
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Norway
    Posts
    2,147
    The main problem now is when you decide to start doing PvP on an alt, you're screwed. You're behind on gear and everyone knows that gear > skill in WoW pvp. I lvled my warrior to 90 and started to do some arena to get cap, and its a nightmare! Playing at 1.4k MMR with a dungeon wep upgraded to 471 with full Dreadfull + Malevolent pieces = dies 5 seconds after getting targeted...

    Thats the thing they need to change/fix. If not PvPers are FORCED to play their main the whole season (And who knows, the whole expansion..)

  18. #18
    How do you mean screwed? I started with an alt a month ago, got a bit of rating to see the cap go up quite a bit and gearing has been quite fast. I do 1-2 BGs a night and now have upgraded all the blues and add one item/week to the epic collection of my set. It's not too bad at all, I gain a bit of rating every week and so increases the cap even more.

    Those who fail as a warrior with a 471 weapon sub 1700-1800 now when warriors (still) are very strong need to look into how they or their team mates play. There are a lot of streams and people to ask if you can't figure it out yourself.

  19. #19
    I think Bliz has backed themselves into a corner on this issue. I play arena/rbg on my shaman, who is almost full malv minus 3 pieces. I cap every week. On top of that I want to play as enhancement in 2's for fun. The problem is that because of gear upgrades, playing 2's for fun will not be any fun at all. The reason.... I will be spending my weekly points on upgrades to my resto gear instead of getting gear for enhancement. I feel this is a major issue for a lot of players who play pvp for fun. Now Bliz may argue that instead of upgrading my gear for resto I can instead be purchasing gear for enhancement. But that doesn't really work either since I wan't to take my resto spec more seriously, as a player, rating, etc... And to do that I need to keep going with upgrades, especially if I push into higher ratings.

    As far as a new approach to gear, I do believe higher rated players should be rewarded. Perhaps it means that there are point thresholds on all types of gear, as the weapons have now, and those thresholds can be achieved quickly if you are 2200+. This approach would work since it would allow high rated players to get rewarded with gear, whereas lower rated players instead of sitting on weekly points they could use them if they want to upgrade the gear that they have if the have not met the point requirements for anything new.

    Perhaps t2 weapons are now elite like the gear for 2200+, and stats do not change? Sound crazy?
    Last edited by Priority; 2013-01-04 at 03:58 PM.

  20. #20
    Warchief
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Norway
    Posts
    2,147
    Quote Originally Posted by Bazookaberit View Post
    How do you mean screwed? I started with an alt a month ago, got a bit of rating to see the cap go up quite a bit and gearing has been quite fast. I do 1-2 BGs a night and now have upgraded all the blues and add one item/week to the epic collection of my set. It's not too bad at all, I gain a bit of rating every week and so increases the cap even more.

    Those who fail as a warrior with a 471 weapon sub 1700-1800 now when warriors (still) are very strong need to look into how they or their team mates play. There are a lot of streams and people to ask if you can't figure it out yourself.
    Sitting on two malevolent + rest Dreadfull + PvE wep 471 is not easy at 1.4k mmr, no matter what you say. I got about 50-60k less HP than everyone else I fight against, I got about 22% less PvP Power than everyone, because they got their wep (Maybe even upgraded it), I got a HUGE dissadvantage because I want to PvP on my alt, thats just how it is. I also got a huge problem on my main, as I went holy mid season. So behind with alot of pieces there as well (And thus I cant get into any 1.7k+ CR RBG groups to get higher rating: "Ur gear is low.." etc)

    This game is very gear dependent.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •