Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    animals don't have souls so they can't be racist

Quote Originally Posted by Guilu View Post
    I accept differences. What I don't accept is applying the notion of race to human beings. You've said yourself that the definition is fuzzy. To me, you can apply it to the different phenotypes of dogs, as they vary considerably, but not to humans. We're not that different.
    Then define "that different".
    At which point does it no longer make sense ?

Yes it is fuzzy, because it's a completely human concept, Taxonomy as a whole is a human concept. What I said about species isn't even right in some particular cases, where we have to invoke sub-species or various kinds of exceptions, "races" aren't even considered as an "official" part of Taxonomy, they're a kind of grey area where there are significant differences, but maybe not enough to qualify as a sub-species.
    If you want the truth, all of what composes this universe is a gigantic continuum, Life is part of it, there is no "abrupt" limit from one state to another, one living being to another.
    Taxonomy is a tool for understanding evolution patterns, "races" are used for the same purpose. So according to the standard definition of a "race", it does not make less sense when used for humans than when used for some other living being.

Edit : clarification
    Last edited by Eled.; 2013-01-08 at 06:51 PM.

Now, you see, I am but a simple Tauren..

I can not understand what you humans are getting all up in arms about with these 'races'...

I mean, I've seen white tauren... and black tauren... and brown and red and yellow(ish-tan) tauren. None of these tauren are any different than other tauren. Nothing makes them 'special' or 'less special'... Even those horrid grimtotem aren't any less than the rest of us, and if they are, it's because of their actions... yet, still, many have defected to our side during the attack on Thunder bluff.

Even taunka and Yaungol are treated with the same respect as ever other tauren... although the Yaungol are rather violent...

hmm.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadee View Post
    Well..............thats not what this thread was about.

Stay on topic please

Deleted
    Damn it, red it seriously the first time.

Quote Originally Posted by Rukentuts View Post
    Turkeys and chickens don't seem particularly bright, I dunno about cows or pigs though. 'Birdbrain' had to be coined from something.
    Still, they're a bit smarter than your average bacteria. As for pigs, they're damn smart. Only smart animals could be such lazy asses.

---------- Post added 2013-01-08 at 08:03 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Eled. View Post
    Taxonomy is a tool for understanding evolution patterns, "races" are used for the same purpose. So according to the standard definition of a "race", it does not make less sense when used for humans than when used for some other living being.
    I don't know, standard definition of race to me is, as I've said, differentiating dog and horse breeds. So there's your line.

No. It's not racist. The horses are bred this way for desirable traits, not because the breeders hate the other horses. You see this kind of breeding for any kind of animal sport/show.

Racism exists because dumbshits like you keep bringing it up. Stop making an issue of it and it stops becoming one
    Quote Originally Posted by kasath
    is anyone in this group under 18? my parole officer says I'm not allowed to play wow with anyone under 18

Quote Originally Posted by wynnyelle View Post
    No. It's not racist. The horses are bred this way for desirable traits, not because the breeders hate the other horses. You see this kind of breeding for any kind of animal sport/show.
    Isnt that what humans do?

Dont different races of human have different traits, and some people breed according to what they see is the "strong" gene pool?

What is considered racist here, and what isnt?

Quote Originally Posted by howdydiddlydoo View Post

Dont different races of human have different traits, and some people breed according to what they see is the "strong" gene pool?

It happens all the time in human beings. Why do you think 'genius' sperm sells so much better?

Racism is really when something detriments another race. Having sexual preferences based off skin color is not an example.

It happens all the time in human beings. Why do you think 'genius' sperm sells so much better?

Racism is really when something detriments another race. Having sexual preferences based off skin color is not an example.

From Wikipedia -

Racism is usually defined as views, practices and actions reflecting the belief that humanity is divided into distinct biological groups called races and that members of a certain race share certain attributes which make that group as a whole less desirable, more desirable, inferior or superior.

Breeding for the reason of superior trait from a superior gene pool, by definition is racist?

Deleted
    Breeding for the reason of superior trait from a superior gene pool, by definition is racist?
    Nope. Words take on different meanings depending on whether you apply them to humans or animals. We consider all humans equal, but we don't consider all animals within a species equal.
    If you were to attempt to breed humans to get a "superior" genepool, that'd be eugenism.

From Wikipedia -

Racism is usually defined as views, practices and actions reflecting the belief that humanity is divided into distinct biological groups called races and that members of a certain race share certain attributes which make that group as a whole less desirable, more desirable, inferior orsuperior.

Would please you go over that quote again (the one you decided to copy YOURSELF of all people) and stop this nonsense. It's pretty clear.
    Last edited by Gromthak; 2013-01-08 at 07:34 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Could you elaborate and explain why? Dont animals have rights too?
    Nothing and no one has rights except those given and enforced by the ruling power of said place.

---------- Post added 2013-01-08 at 07:55 PM ----------

Seems kind of racist that you assume the black dog talks like a black guy.
    Seems kind of racist that you assume that every black person speaks the same way.

---------- Post added 2013-01-08 at 08:02 PM ----------

Turkeys and chickens don't seem particularly bright, I dunno about cows or pigs though. 'Birdbrain' had to be coined from something.

This topic suddenly reminded be of the South Park episode where they got that Japanese to stop killing 'dolphin and whale' and starting killing 'chicken and cow' like the rest of the world. One of my favorites.

FUK YOO DULPHEEN!

It was epic

From Wikipedia -

Racism is usually defined as views, practices and actions reflecting the belief that humanity is divided into distinct biological groups called races and that members of a certain race share certain attributes which make that group as a whole less desirable, more desirable, inferior or superior.

horses arent divided into distinct biological groups called races. humans have no equivalent, since an animal breed is achieved by very extremely narrowing the gene pool via inbreeding over a very long time. all humans are "mutts".

Maybe if horses became sentient and Clydesdales starting enslaving Appaloosas....

Quote Originally Posted by Tommo View Post

I um.. and... the.. what?

How do you go from gingerbread to racism, without walking through a mental institute at the same time.
    Oh! Also there was the christmas carol about three gingerbread-men that lived in gingerbreadland that apparently was racist cause it contains ''så bruna ,så bruna vi äro alla tre'' which basicly means that they are very brown. I don't get it either. Those who think this is racist are actually the ones that even notice this shit since i haven't even come close to the thought that it would represent three brown males. (it is even about friendship so if it were meant to be brown men, which it isn't, i don't get it)

here's a link to the song https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nj0V17U9RhQ

10+ Year Old Account

All I can do is roll my eyes at this.

You've been given ample proper reason as to why it isn't racism. The breeding for preferable traits in animals has no bearing on the very 'human' concept of racism.

You're baiting for responses. There are plenty of other avenues for you to explore to get the information you desire.

Could you elaborate and explain why? Dont animals have rights too?
    rights =/= races

well, you see, racism only applies to human beings, and there's a pretty good historical reason for that:

throughout the whole of our documented history, not a single horse has ever complained about racism.
    Warlorcs of Draenorc made me quit. You can't have my stuff.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dhurn View Post
    Maybe it was a Kunta Kinte ice cream bar that said "my name is toby" everytime you licked it?
    It was Nogger Black. A liqourice version of Nogger. An icecream we've had for ages in Sweden.

But people are eager to make references that aren't even ment to be there, so they can feel special.